New Whitlock column on Fine Case... | Syracusefan.com

New Whitlock column on Fine Case...

Agreed. Helping people is for suckers.

I kid, I kid. Seriously, it's amazing that so few people ignored the money aspect of this case.

I kid, I kid. Seriously, it's amazing that so few people ignored the money aspect of this case.

One guy pointed it out (he coaches a basketball team in upstate New York) and was basically put out there as someone who enjoys attacking victems of child abuse. It's amazing no one else talked about it.

People ignored many things in this entire saga.

What happened to fine mess? It just vanished.
It's still around. You can get there from the site links dropdown menu. But you have to know the secret handshake to get in.

One guy pointed it out (he coaches a basketball team in upstate New York) and was basically put out there as someone who enjoys attacking victems of child abuse. It's amazing no one else talked about it.

Did he coach there in the mid-80's and get mistaken for Burger King's "Herb" when he visited Central NY BK's? I think I'm on to it, but I might need a few more clues.

People ignored many things in this entire saga.

Indeed...people see what they want to see.

I recall just how crazy it was here last year and the weeks ensuing the outbreak and the many irresponsible speculative posts...it was certainly eye opening. I guess perception wasn't reality in this instance. Unfortunately, Bernie will never get complete vindication. Hopefully, his true friends have been in touch all along supporting him, such as the SU Board Member who resigned (name forgets me) to offer his compassion, friendship and grit in such a dire time...completely unselfish about what the potential consequences could mean to him. In desperate times, people's true colors emerge...well his speaks volumes...

Indeed...people see what they want to see.

I recall just how crazy it was here last year and the weeks ensuing the outbreak and the many irresponsible speculative posts...it was certainly eye opening. I guess perception wasn't reality in this instance. Unfortunately, Bernie will never get complete vindication. Hopefully, his true friends have been in touch all along supporting him, such as the SU Board Member who resigned (name forgets me) to offer his compassion, friendship and grit in such a dire time...completely unselfish about what the potential consequences could mean to him. In desperate times, people's true colors emerge...well his speaks volumes...
The BOT member was George Hicker, wasn't it?

What I have come away from this whole scandal with is a renewed irritation with the media, and a renewed respect for James A Boeheim. JB put it out there for his friend and colleague, called his accusers money-grubbing liars, and was lambasted in the media for doing so, including many calls for his resignation/firing. The easy (and perhaps wise) thing for him to do would have been to keep quiet. Instead, we got the tirade, we got the empty chair on the sidelines. I sincerely hope, if I ever find myself falsely accused of some horrible crime, at least few of my friends turn out like JB did.

What I have come away from this whole scandal with is a renewed irritation with the media, and a renewed respect for James A Boeheim. JB put it out there for his friend and colleague, called his accusers money-grubbing liars, and was lambasted in the media for doing so, including many calls for his resignation/firing. The easy (and perhaps wise) thing for him to do would have been to keep quiet. Instead, we got the tirade, we got the empty chair on the sidelines. I sincerely hope, if I ever find myself falsely accused of some horrible crime, at least few of my friends turn out like JB did.

I hope so too. However, that may just rest on what generation you are from. Boeheim's generation types I believe are far more likely to lay a lot more on the line. Loyalty actually meant something and being politically correct or what have you was secondary. With today's me generation, I think it's much more rare to find imo.

Another absurd thread of Bernie apologists.

There was never likely going to be any charges, because of the State SoL and the limited Federal jurisdiction, considering that almost all of Davis's allegations were in-state. This has always been understood, and even Whitlock states that the dropped charges do not exonerate Fine, but some Cuse fans are going beyond-Whitlock on this issue, getting poetic about Fine's troubles "vanishing silently in the night." None of that is realistic or responsible.

The Federal probe lacked jurisdictional grounds because of the limited evidence regarding the trip to Pittsburgh. The state prove revealed evidence sufficient to warrant charges. Whitlock is wrong to say that the Fed's did not find credible evidence of child molestation: the Feds did not say. They only had jurisdiction on the interstate aspect of the allegations. New York's legal officials found sufficient corroborating evidence for criminal sanctions, but lacked jurisdiction because of lapsed time.

I think most SU fans get this, but the Fine apologists can get loud and hostile. Whitlock is just a Fox guy grinding his ax against ESPN. If there was even a scintilla of a chance of a successful defamation suit, ESPN would have canned Schwarz.

Whitlock is just taking his "I told you so" victory lap. He deserves it IMO.

He was the only one to call BS on Tomasselli's story. Also the only one to invite ZT for an interview, in which he asked perfectly fair questions, then still called BS afterwards.

He can't believe Schwarz hasn't been fired. Actually he can believe it, and says thats the problem with ESPN
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...fine-accusation-fallout-teaches-lesson-111212

Excellent point. I've experienced the same thing. Like Whitlock says, I'm no angel and far from perfect, but there have been a number of times in my life where I've helped family members financially, or I've been the one who paid for something (say helping someone who was several months behind on their mortgage, helping someone clear up their credit, renting a boat for a family outing, paying for stuff for my nieces and nephews, etc.) for people to enjoy themselves and make family gatherings better and more festive.

And then when I declined to pay for things later on, boy did I get some harsh thrown back at me by those same loved ones and family members who were more than happy to take my help or have me pick up the tab.