New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New York Mets will buy Syracuse Chiefs, bring its Triple-A team to Syracuse

Why? They own the team. They can name it whatever they want.

The Chiefs finish dead last in attendance every year.

It's probably not a good idea to drive away the few fans they have left.

Honest question why does the name change matter?
Yankee fans can’t care that much you go to minor league games for fun.

As a Yankee fan, I don't care about the name change because they are changing it to the Mets. I care because of the tradition associated with the Chiefs name. Just like I hated when they went with the nonsensical Skychiefs name.

As a Yankee fan, I don't care about the name change because they are changing it to the Mets. I care because of the tradition associated with the Chiefs name. Just like I hated when they went with the nonsensical Skychiefs name.
Same. They’ve been the chiefs forever. Why change it now? I’ve always thought it was dumb to have the minor league team with the same name as the big show.

I don't know why anyone would stop supporting the team because of a name change. And wasn't this understood to be part of the plan when the transfer was announced? I might be misremembering that part.

For what it's worth, they'll keep the Chiefs trademarks, continue to sell the merchandise, and wear throwbacks pretty often. But the Mets aren't buying up new properties to squander branding opportunities.

The Chiefs finish dead last in attendance every year.

It's probably not a good idea to drive away the few fans they have left.

I'll bet you $100 that they increase ticket sales during the 2019 season when the Mets take over. That's a no brainer. There's a LOT of Mets fans in CNY who would much rather attend 5-10 minor league games for the cost of attending ONE major league game in Queens.

Seriously. When you factor in gas, tolls, parking, food and tickets, I could go to 10 AAA games for the cost of ONE Mets game.

And that's exactly what this Mets fan plans to do.

I don't know why anyone would stop supporting the team because of a name change. And wasn't this understood to be part of the plan when the transfer was announced? I might be misremembering that part.

For what it's worth, they'll keep the Chiefs trademarks, continue to sell the merchandise, and wear throwbacks pretty often. But the Mets aren't buying up new properties to squander branding opportunities.

This guy gets it.

I def wouldn't stop supporting the team. I love minor league baseball. But I also would never buy anything with a Mets logo on it, so from a merchandise standpoint, I don't care for it. I suppose there will be plenty of Mets fans in the area who would love that stuff though, so maybe it'll work out for them.

I def wouldn't stop supporting the team. I love minor league baseball. But I also would never buy anything with a Mets logo on it, so from a merchandise standpoint, I don't care for it. I suppose there will be plenty of Mets fans in the area who would love that stuff though, so maybe it'll work out for them.

Oh, I doubt they'll have identical logos - not the old Giants "NY" and the skyline on the baseball (which, btw, is the best logo in all of sports in my wholly unbiased opinion). My guess is that Syracuse will have some kind of stylized logo involving the letter S (maybe in a similar font to the Giants/Mets 'NY'), along with a new "Syracuse Mets" logo. And they'll run the old-school Chiefs logo for a quarter of the year.

They don't get a lot of credit in the opinion pages, but the Chiefs' merchandising people are sharp. And the Wilpons appreciate that. (For what it's worth, this comes from first-hand observation rather than speculation.)

Whether they keep the Syracuse Salt Potatoes imagery, though, is anybody's guess...

Scranton-Wilkes Barre has changed its name from Red Barrons to Yankees to Rail Riders.
My hometown Pawtucket Red Sox enjoy the name being the same as Boston.
They just call themselves the Paw-Sox.

I can’t believe people won’t go because of the name changing but to each their own. It’s peoples money not mine.

Scranton-Wilkes Barre has changed its name from Red Barrons to Yankees to Rail Riders.

I can’t believe people won’t go because of the name changing but to each their own. It’s peoples money not mine.

Who here has said they won't be going to games anymore?

That’s waaaay different.

The redsux OWN New England. I’d make sure any baseball team affiliated with them were called the redsux, hell if I had a Yankee minor league team there...,I’d call it the
redsux.

This is an example of the Mets not getting it, they’re the Mets. Having their AAA team there is smart, but calling them the Mets is not.

And yes, if I lived there I’d rather take my kids to see the Chiefs, than the Mets. You would lose me for many games a year.

Minor league baseball is awesome and it’s awesome because it’s a communities team, I’d stay away from marketing it when the name itself would divide loyalties. You mentioned The Yankees AAA team is the Rail Riders, the AA team is the Thunder, both aren’t the Yankees because they’re squarely in Phillies territory or at least divided up territory.

Dumb move IMO.