new yorks college team | Syracusefan.com

new yorks college team

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I was at the braves game on sat night. Sat in the OF seats (my fav place at a baseball game) and struck up a conversation with a 23ish year old DRUNK redneck. Somehow, I told him that my wife and I went to Syracuse and his immediate response was "NEW YORKS COLLEGE TEAM! that sign at yankee stadium is awesome!"

i thought it was pretty cool.

I was at the braves game on sat night. Sat in the OF seats (my fav place at a baseball game) and struck up a conversation with a 23ish year old DRUNK redneck. Somehow, I told him that my wife and I went to Syracuse and his immediate response was "NEW YORKS COLLEGE TEAM! that sign at yankee stadium is awesome!"

Did he follow that up with "ya god damn yankee basterrrrrds"

Sure beats a Bernie Fine reference. Seriously, I think you should forward that story to Dr. Gross.

Oh man, are you gonna get it.

The sign is just one part of a broader media effort, which seems ambitious and smart to me. Why would establishing a solid marketing presence in NYC be a mistake? We're the state's premier basketball power, and its only BCS football program -- there's value in that.

Also, our FB HC is from the area, NYC recruiting is up (to say the least). We have a newly forged radio presence in the Apple, along with a huge fan base. Explain to me why we should cede our closest major media market to the likes of UConvict and Rutgirls?

We have a resident marketing expert who thinks the whole thing was a waste of money.

By almost any measure, the "NY's College Team" campaign has been a success.
I wore my SU gear to the gym today, and more than one person asked about leaving NYC and MSG to go play in the South, and whether I was worried about losing that "Manhattan home court advantage".
Yes, these were intelligent Charlotte, NC residents but they were well aware of the NY's College Team moniker.
Now, how would the marketing "expert" quantify that kind of brand recognition?

Given the response to this ad campaign --- if it even qualifies as such --- I'd say the thing was a huge success.

The most likely outcome of efforts like this are that no one even notices ... the Ad man's nightmare.

It's a unsubstantiated claim, of course. And it probably isn't close to being true. But people notice it and remember it. Do you know how hard that is to achieve? And it drives the competition crazy.

Keep repeating the thing enough and people start to believe it.

I had a friend of mine who graduated from The University of Tampa. Everytime he uttered the name of the school, he added, The "Harvard of the South". To this day, I cannot think of the name of the school without involuntarily adding "The Harvard of the South" to it.

Unsubstantiated claims sometimes work. Consider "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".

Harvard of the South is generally a reference that Vanderbilt gets.

Harvard of the South is generally a reference that Vanderbilt gets.

Well, whichever school has a legitimate claim to the title, it sure isn't the University of Tampa.

But by repeating it so often, this guy implanted it in my memory.

If SU says "NY's Team" enough times, people will start to connect the two. It's the way (some) advertising works.

Well, whichever school has a legitimate claim to the title, it sure isn't the University of Tampa.

But by repeating it so often, this guy implanted it in my memory.

If SU says "NY's Team" enough times, people will start to connect the two. It's the way (some) advertising works.
That just reminds me of how Sean McDonough always refers to SU as "The Harvard of Upstate New York" in broadcasts.

Which must thrill the folks at Cornell, of course.

By almost any measure, the "NY's College Team" campaign has been a success.
I wore my SU gear to the gym today, and more than one person asked about leaving NYC and MSG to go play in the South, and whether I was worried about losing that "Manhattan home court advantage".
Yes, these were intelligent Charlotte, NC residents but they were well aware of the NY's College Team moniker.
Now, how would the marketing "expert" quantify that kind of brand recognition?

1. Awesome sig pic!
2. That's because half of intelligent Charlotte, NC residents are formerly from NY (myself included :) )

I agree, the marketing campaign is a success and people in the south, former NYer's or not, are beginning to recognize SU as NY's College Team with the exception of UB fans.

The "New York's College Team" campaign may be great everywhere except the place out-of-staters are likely to see it: New York City.
Unless the Orange are playing a local team, SU sports are all but irrelevant in NYC...notwithstanding the good number of SU grads in
the media there.
And the connection to the NYC market is going to become non-existent with the move to the ACC and few games against local NYC teams.

The "New York's College Team" campaign may be great everywhere except the place out-of-staters are likely to see it: New York City.
Unless the Orange are playing a local team, SU sports are all but irrelevant in NYC...notwithstanding the good number of SU grads in
the media there.
And the connection to the NYC market is going to become non-existent with the move to the ACC and few games against local NYC teams.

I disagree with this post.

SU is more relevant in NYC than any of the local teams. You think people in NY are paying attention to Columbia, Manhattan, St. John's, Fordham?

Given the response to this ad campaign --- if it even qualifies as such --- I'd say the thing was a huge success.

The most likely outcome of efforts like this are that no one even notices ... the Ad man's nightmare.

It's a unsubstantiated claim, of course. And it probably isn't close to being true. But people notice it and remember it. Do you know how hard that is to achieve? And it drives the competition crazy.

I had a friend of mine who graduated from The University of Tampa. Everytime he uttered the name of the school, he added, The "Harvard of the South". To this day, I cannot think of the name of the school without involuntarily adding "The Harvard of the South" to it.

Unsubstantiated claims sometimes work. Consider "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".

I also love having the sign in Yankee stadium along the left field foul pole. Now, if it was only the right field corner, we'd see several more times a game, but I pick...

the media there.

I don't know that I agree with that. For work I travel all around the City. Aside from Murray Hill/UES/UWS where you have a lot of college gear in general worn by actual alumni, I see SU gear all over the City (Astoria, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Jamaica, Harlem, different parts of the Bronx and all over Manhattan and the subway) and a lot of that is worn by kids too young to be in college. Of us, UConn and Rutgers, RU is an insanely distant 2nd and I might see a UConn shirt or hat once every couple weeks.

I've also seen regular season SU games covered in not just the big papers, but also AM New York and the Metro. The local sportscasts will also often show a brief highlight of an SU game. If we get to the Final Four or win another National Championship, I guarantee that the ESB will be lit up orange and actually be done for Syracuse.

We're as close to being NYC's college basketball team as you can get. Sorry St. John's.

the media there.

This misses the point... the purpose of SU's NYC media effort isn't to establish us as NYC's premier sports attraction (there are way too many pro teams for that to happen); it's to establish us as NYC's premiere college team vis a vis our competitor schools. That's a much more worthwile, and realistic, goal. And we're getting there... NYC has way too much FB and BB talent, and too big a fan base (and potential fan base) to let Jersey State, Pukonn, and other schools run the show there.

And to the poster (Townie) claiming that the campaign is harmless but no one will notice... I beg to differ. SU gear, interest, NYC attendance, and team performance ... all the things that go into branding, are on the rise. We now own St. Johns, and the FB team's win at Yankee stadium took a big step for the program.

When all NYC football recruits mention that "Cuse is NY's team", or, "We wanna represent for the Cuse & NY", then we must be doing something right.
And, yes...the Debbie Downers can't wait to remind us of the dearth of talent in NY, and that "owning" the area isn't worth much.
But that's just a symptom of the pessimist...and there's nothing that can be said that'll satisfy them.

When all NYC football recruits mention that "Cuse is NY's team", or, "We wanna represent for the Cuse & NY", then we must be doing something right.
And, yes...the Debbie Downers can't wait to remind us of the dearth of talent in NY, and that "owning" the area isn't worth much.
But that's just a symptom of the pessimist...and there's nothing that can be said that'll satisfy them.

I agree. In fact, the naysayers sound eerily similar to those griping about public spending ... everthing's a "waste" unless its going into the complainer's pocket.

Thing is the Stones ARE the greatest band of all time.

I don't know that I agree with that. For work I travel all around the City. Aside from Murray Hill/UES/UWS where you have a lot of college gear in general worn by actual alumni, I see SU gear all over the City (Astoria, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Jamaica, Harlem, different parts of the Bronx and all over Manhattan and the subway) and a lot of that is worn by kids too young to be in college. Of us, UConn and Rutgers, RU is an insanely distant 2nd and I might see a UConn shirt or hat once every couple weeks.

I've also seen regular season SU games covered in not just the big papers, but also AM New York and the Metro. The local sportscasts will also often show a brief highlight of an SU game. If we get to the Final Four or win another National Championship, I guarantee that the ESB will be lit up orange and actually be done for Syracuse.

We're as close to being NYC's college basketball team as you can get. Sorry St. John's.

Yeah...St. John's still isn't back in the city's consciousness.

Interesting observations. But I don't see it. I rarely see SU gear in sporting goods stores. Much more UConn, Rutgers & St. John's.

As for local news coverage...it rarely happens other than a big game or a game at the Garden.
Certainly not for football.
And that's notwithstanding the fact that a nice chunk of people in NYC newsrooms are alumni and busy watching the hoops games.
The newspapers do occasionally send someone up to the Dome but I that's been the case as long as I can remember.

Yeah...St. John's still isn't back in the city's consciousness.

Interesting observations. But I don't see it. I rarely see SU gear in sporting goods stores. Much more UConn, Rutgers & St. John's.

As for local news coverage...it rarely happens other than a big game or a game at the Garden.
Certainly not for football.
And that's notwithstanding the fact that a nice chunk of people in NYC newsrooms are alumni and busy watching the hoops games.
The newspapers do occasionally send someone up to the Dome but I that's been the case as long as I can remember.

Some of this is true (rutgirls and UConn remain popular in the apple), but that only means we have more work to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom