new yorks college team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

new yorks college team

I live in North Carolina as well and the college fanbase is split among a number of high quality Div I schools - UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, East Carolina, etc. A North Carolina's College Team campaign would be a tough to sell for one school. NY. especially upstate, is all Syracuse (sorry Buffalo).

talk to anybody in the metropolis and you'll quickly learn upstate ny is another b&mf#ck planet.

I live in North Carolina as well and the college fanbase is split among a number of high quality Div I schools - UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, East Carolina, etc. A North Carolina's College Team campaign would be a tough to sell for one school. NY. especially upstate, is all Syracuse (sorry Buffalo).
SU does own Upstate.
But the reality in NYC market is that the Orange are all but a non-factor.
No one besides alumni really pays much attention to Syracuse.

I go into Modell's or other sporting goods stores and I see more UNC & Duke items than SU items.
And I don't see how the ACC move helps boost the profile.
We'll be playing very few games against NYC area teams.

The slogan should be "New York's College Team (outside of NYC area)."

Interesting observations. But I don't see it. I rarely see SU gear in sporting goods stores. Much more UConn, Rutgers & St. John's ... I go into Modell's or other sporting goods stores and I see more UNC & Duke items than SU items.

That's very interesting. A lot must have changed since I left NYC. When I last lived there (which wasn't too long ago), the three schools you would always see in sporting goods stores, or any store that sells such merchandise (e.g. Kohl's), were: Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse. A lot of times those would be the only three schools they'd carry. I've been in stores literally within 1 mile of St. John's campus that carried Syracuse gear, but no Johnnies stuff. Now you're saying that stores all over the 5 boros are electing to carry SJU merchandise over ours? I guess people have really bought into Lavin, because that's a pretty dramatic turnaround. My experience was always the 3 schools I mentioned, Rutgers a distant 4th, zero UConn or St. John's stuff, and a smattering of Duke/UNC gear as you mentioned.

SU does own Upstate.

I go into Modell's or other sporting goods stores and I see more UNC & Duke items than SU items.

This is just not correct. SU hoops is the be all end all in the big apple. In the schoolyards and in the private schools.
And in the sporting goods stores. You are way off.

This is just not correct. SU hoops is the be all end all in the big apple. In the schoolyards and in the private schools.
And in the sporting goods stores. You are way off.

That's my observation too. I don't usually see SU gear in Modell's, but they are pretty much pro sports. I have seen SU as one of the few college teams that have had tshirts sold at Bloomingdale's (with Michigan, Florida, UNC).

My son who lives in NYC was jogging on the Brooklyn Bridge in his SU gear and he was laughing about all the people beeping their horns and yelling "Go Cuse, yeah SU, Go Orange" etc. He was actually shocked at all the favorable comments and attention he got.

SU does own Upstate.

images

Yeah...St. John's still isn't back in the city's consciousness.

Interesting observations. But I don't see it. I rarely see SU gear in sporting goods stores. Much more UConn, Rutgers & St. John's.

As for local news coverage...it rarely happens other than a big game or a game at the Garden.
Certainly not for football.
And that's notwithstanding the fact that a nice chunk of people in NYC newsrooms are alumni and busy watching the hoops games.
The newspapers do occasionally send someone up to the Dome but I that's been the case as long as I can remember.

Also - I recently moved to Santa Monica. 2 observations from the promenade and the pier.
1) The Nike Store here had a huge college hoops display throughout the Spring and early summer and the primary mannequin was decked out in 'cuse gear. In fact, one whole section of the store was orange. I know they were promoting several teams throughout the Spring, but SU was the focal point.

2) I was on the Pier earlier today, and one of the prizes for shooting hoops at the fun fair is an orange and blue SU basketball. They had duke, carolina and UCLA balls as well. Saw two people win - - both of them took the SU ball as prize.

Our brand is national and powerful. In my observation - it is also quite hip. It is 'cool' to be a 'cuse fan.
And I don't think it was this way 10 years ago. IMO, the value of the Syracuse brand has increased dramatically in the past decade.

Also - I recently moved to Santa Monica. 2 observations from the promenade and the pier.
1) The Nike Store here had a huge college hoops display throughout the Spring and early summer and the primary mannequin was decked out in 'cuse gear. In fact, one whole section of the store was orange. I know they were promoting several teams throughout the Spring, but SU was the focal point.

2) I was on the Pier earlier today, and one of the prizes for shooting hoops at the fun fair is an orange and blue SU basketball. They had duke, carolina and UCLA balls as well. Saw two people win - - both of them took the SU ball as prize.

Our brand is national and powerful. In my observation - it is also quite hip. It is 'cool' to be a 'cuse fan.
And I don't think it was this way 10 years ago. IMO, the value of the Syracuse brand has increased dramatically in the past decade.

speaking of that, Darren Rovell tweeted this morning we are the 6th most popular basketball school.

It was Duke, UNC, OSU, Kentucky, UCONN (ugh), and Cuse.

Then why don't you call yourself "Richards"?
Ha...Stones are the greatest rock band...Sabbath is the greatest and most influential metal band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom