Next 5 games vs Power Conference teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next 5 games vs Power Conference teams

I expect us to go 2-3 over this stretch but hopeful of 3-2. I’m definitely encouraged by Girard’s play against the tomato cans we’ve played since UVA, but I can’t see us beating GTown or okie state, and I really worry about our ability to handle Garza from Iowa. I definitely worry about this teams collective athleticism and strength against power conference teams.

Hope I’m wrong. I remember the days when you’d look at that lineup of opponents and be disappointed if we went 4-1.

I can see this scenario playing out. G'town looked really tough and you've got no gimmes so who knows? To me the keys are two big things: Defense/rebounding (don't really need to win the glass but at least not get destroyed there) and what we can get out of the two freshmen off the bench (maybe a third with Edwards if there is foul trouble). Love Goodine's defense and think he has some nice offensive potential but he's not there yet. Guerrier has looked really solid at times but Terrance Roberts-ish at others. We need those two to play at least OK in these games and could probably use a couple minutes a half from Edwards as well. Could be interesting.

On the bright side -- we should at least be more fun to watch.

This is going to be a very interesting year. Very different team with different strengths and strengths in non-traditional roles.

Our best passer plays the 4 or the 5. Our best creator is at the 3. Effectively playing with 2 lights-out shooters at the guard spots. And a raw, physical specimen off the bench.

I think it will require some coaching creativity to get the most out of this team.

it will be a good barometer as to whether the old man’s b-ball acumen remains intact or whether the program is in free fall and it is time.

My money is on the 75 year old HOFer.

Yeah - really weird year. Even if you throw the UVA opener out, it's odd to not only have five quality opponents in the pre-conference portion to but to have them back-to-back.

Roster-wise, as you point out, it's also strange. Having said that, I'm more excited than I have been at any point since prior to the '16-'17 season when we had gillon, white and battle joining a group that was coming off a final four (obviously sans Malachi/G/Cooney). As that season shows, sometimes excitement is misplaced. But I like that we are potentially dangerous offensively. It'll at least be interesting to see if that is true and if we can make some things happen.

I would think 3-2 isn't absurd, but, honestly, who knows?

other than psu, syracuse outranks all of them by at least 10 spots in the kenpom rankings. and the orange are within 0.9 pts of psu.

and with the possible exception of the psu game, the barclays tips should be virtual home games

other than psu, syracuse outranks all of them by at least 10 spots in the kenpom rankings. and the orange are within 0.9 pts of psu.

and with the possible exception of the psu game, the barclays tips should be virtual home games

I guess I'm on outlier, but I look at those upcoming teams, and I don't see anybody we can't beat if we play like we did against Bucknell. If Buddy and Girard can pinch at the top of the zone to guard against the entry pass to the post, and they can stay in front of their men, I kind of like our back line. They're all skinny as hell, but I think this team can go 4-1 in these next 5 games.

I guess I'm on outlier, but I look at those upcoming teams, and I don't see anybody we can't beat if we play like we did against Bucknell. If Buddy and Girard can pinch at the top of the zone to guard against the entry pass to the post, and they can stay in front of their men, I kind of like our back line. They're all skinny as hell, but I think this team can go 4-1 in these next 5 games.

Realistically there is nobody we can't beat if we play like that. JB essentially said it was a fluke though so don't make that your new bar for expectations. I would agree moqui that these will be home games. PSU? Having the crowd against us? Doubtful. I'm not even sure if their fans are aware there is a basketball team.

Against Oklahoma State I think we will be a small favorite, but we are going to have to guard the 3pt line. They have 2 shooters who are very comparable to Hughes and Buddy in Lindy Waters and Thomas Dziagwa who are both seniors. They also have a big that is a very good rim protector in Yor Anei. I know it sounds simple, but whoever makes more 3's Wednesday probably wins.

Against Oklahoma State I think we will be a small favorite, but we are going to have to guard the 3pt line. They have 2 shooters who are very comparable to Hughes and Buddy in Lindy Waters and Thomas Dziagwa who are both seniors. They also have a big that is a very good rim protector in Yor Anei. I know it sounds simple, but whoever makes more 3's Wednesday probably wins.

KenPom gives us a bigger edge against Iowa in the 2nd game than against Okie State, which kind of surprises me. All our games this year are going to feature people with bigger guys inside than us, and everybody is going to have a couple shooters.

I think the zone is always able to deal with "a couple" shooters, and keep them in check. It's the secondary/tertiary level of shooters (that third starter or the bench guy) that often give us trouble.

KenPom gives us a bigger edge against Iowa in the 2nd game than against Okie State, which kind of surprises me. All our games this year are going to feature people with bigger guys inside than us, and everybody is going to have a couple shooters.

I think the zone is always able to deal with "a couple" shooters, and keep them in check. It's the secondary/tertiary level of shooters (that third starter or the bench guy) that often give us trouble.

You'll always be favored more at home than neutral and the one decent opponent they played(Depaul) they gave up 93. Depaul typically score's in the 70's. McCaffrey teams play no defense. I think that will be a game we score 80 plus.

Realistically there is nobody we can't beat if we play like that. JB essentially said it was a fluke though so don't make that your new bar for expectations. I would agree moqui that these will be home games. PSU? Having the crowd against us? Doubtful. I'm not even sure if their fans are aware there is a basketball team.

It's not like we shot 80% from three. I don't think the game was as "flukey" as JB thinks. I think that was just team (and media) management.

I think this team is going to shoot 40% from three for the year (like we did the Andrew White / John Gillon / Tyler Lydon team). I just hope that this group can learn to play better defense.

More accurately, whoever gets better ball movement and kickouts for open 3s probably wins.

You are correct. I live in Central PA. A vast majority of PSU football fans support teams like Duke, UNC, Villanova in basketball. They won’t have any presence in NYC.

It's not like we shot 80% from three. I don't think the game was as "flukey" as JB thinks. I think that was just team (and media) management.

I think this team is going to shoot 40% from three for the year (like we did the Andrew White / John Gillon / Tyler Lydon team). I just hope that this group can learn to play better defense.

Well, given that we won't have TT getting major minutes, it's nearly a given that this group will be better on D.

Also, while White ended up OK on D, Gillon was a minus defender for the most part too.
He had that great D series on Kennard vs. Duke, just prior to his miracle 3, but that's pretty much the only D highlight of his I can recall.

The BIG thing this year is - with the depth JB has at his disposal, if one (or more) players are feeling allergic to playing D, he can (and will) bench them, to put in somebody else who will.

That White/Gillon/Lydon team had no such luxury, as short-handed as it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom