next commit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

next commit

damn you, shrmdougluvr...hey wait a second! Your handle!

simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg

Think the most important recruit is Wayne Morgan, Coach Marrone still has not got a top NYS recruit to sign with him. If he wants to get this program turned around he needs to get someone to get on board with him. He has whiffed on Ishaq Williams, Chad Kelly, Jarron Jones, and Quentin Gause. Hopefully he can get Morgan or the recruiting questions about him will continue especially when it comes to big name recruits. He hasn't really landed anybody.

Even with the names of Jones and Perkins, Thompson is the guy I want most right now. Mixture of playmaking ability and position of need is just too much to lose out on. After that, I really like the idea of adding Logan to the LB mix, and Morgan to join Whigham in beefing up our future at the CB position. We get those three, and nobody flips, and IMO this class goes from good to excellent.

Goins definitely looks conditional, especially since we took so many verbals at a surprising pace early on. I am not sure what I think of him yet, his lack of height and our depth at LB certainly makes me a little lukewarm. But the kid is jacked and could just be one of those old fashioned football players. I mean, not everyone can start, so if this kid could be a special teams monster, that in itself makes it worthwhile... but I do think I would prefer to use a flier on a local prospect, like the Peters kid at RH.

As far as the 3-4, I think it's in the cards in the future. Things that lead me to believe so include the fact that our DEs have never been asked to get to the QB all that much, we love to blitz LBs, we run a lot of Okie as it is, we are recruiting a ton of LBs, we don't seem to be going after typical DEs, we are in on more 320LB DTs, and athletic sub-300LB DTs that could make very solid 3-4 ends (Bromley, Goggins, Welsh, Brantley, Coleman, and possibly Micah). Yet the only argument ever made against it, is that Schafer isn't a "3-4 guy." To that I say, are we sure about that, or just think so because he had trouble with Rich Rod's 3-3-5? And even if Schafer were to throw a fit and refuse the 3-4, is it possible Marrone likes the idea and wants the pieces in place simply because he knows Schafer won't be around forever? I don't know, I am not saying I would bet money, just saying that a lot of things point to it, and not much reason to weigh against, IMO.

who's lied about his offers?
Goins. I don't think he has the offers he is talking about, and I'm pretty sure some other reputable posters had thought the same thing

Goins. I don't think he has the offers he is talking about, and I'm pretty sure some other reputable posters had thought the same thing
Goins has us and Tulane but like I said I think his offer is conditional.

Even with the names of Jones and Perkins, Thompson is the guy I want most right now. Mixture of playmaking ability and position of need is just too much to lose out on. After that, I really like the idea of adding Logan to the LB mix, and Morgan to join Whigham in beefing up our future at the CB position. We get those three, and nobody flips, and IMO this class goes from good to excellent.

All Jones and Perkins are now are names, there is no way they flip.

I know, just saying that I think Thompson is a bigger need than those guys anyway.
Disagree. Perkins would have given us a dynamic running back with D-1 size. Jones would have given us a big body in the middle on a team that has a lot of undersized guys. Thompson would be a big get but how much of an impact can a TE make compared to those positions?

Disagree. Perkins would have given us a dynamic running back with D-1 size. Jones would have given us a big body in the middle on a team that has a lot of undersized guys. Thompson would be a big get but how much of an impact can a TE make compared to those positions?

Certainly don't want to make it sound like I wouldn't love those guys, but I think we are getting some big bodies and I like our RBs. They might not be as physically talented as those blue-chippers, but I feel they will get the job done. However, if we don't get a playmaking TE, i think the dropoff in talent at DT and RB won't be as steep as the drop from Provo to the other options on the roster. A drop that will be further magnified by the fact that whoever ends up the heir to Nassib will need a safety valve... And scrutinized even further if AAM ends up winning the job or splitting carries with Gulley, as I would not expect the big guy to be a big receiving threat.

Certainly don't want to make it sound like I wouldn't love those guys, but I think we are getting some big bodies and I like our RBs. They might not be as physically talented as those blue-chippers, but I feel they will get the job done. However, if we don't get a playmaking TE, i think the dropoff in talent at DT and RB won't be as steep as the drop from Provo to the other options on the roster. A drop that will be further magnified by the fact that whoever ends up the heir to Nassib will need a safety valve... And scrutinized even further if AAM ends up winning the job or splitting carries with Gulley, as I would not expect the big guy to be a big receiving threat.

Gulley would be in on passing situations though. We don't know if AAM's a receiving threat or not.

People also forget about Louie Addazio and Beckett Wales, both of whom could be very good for us in the next few years.

Gulley would be in on passing situations though. We don't know if AAM's a receiving threat or not.

People also forget about Louie Addazio and Beckett Wales, both of whom could be very good for us in the next few years.

Agreed, they very well could be, which would be great. But if I had to say which group would be very good, Crume/Bromley, AAM/Gulley, or Addazio/Wales, my money would be on the first two groups.

We will find out when Provo isn't around next season. As much as I would have loved to see Jones and Perkins commit, I am hoping that Thompson is one of the next Commits.

No we will stay with our current system but wouldnt it be nice to have a rotation that keeps everyone fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom