Next year. Just need a big | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year. Just need a big

Amen to all of this. Exactly my thought, as well. I think the entire position has a lot of raw talent, but my hope is Howard is in great shape and the most game-ready. I'd like to see him have the legitimate shot to LOSE the job (which would be a great problem to have). I was excited about his steady abilities coming in as he's a smart player. With 2 years to soak is all in, I can't imagine he's not going to be an ever BETTER game manager for this team.

I'm still in shock a bit over the stroke story given every headline was just about his knee health for so many months.
The difference is Scoop was a 4 star player out of high school.
HW is barely a 3 star and we were the only real P5 offer to him. He also looked slow and disengaged when he played. He didn't show he could drive the ball or shoot. He seems like a great kid and I am rooting for him with everything he has been through but I just don't think he has P5 talent. We only offered because our top PG targets (I believe Arrojo, Green among others) dodged us.

(First off bench)
Carey (Washington)
Goodine (buddy)
Hughes (Quincy)
Brissett (Braswell)
Dolejaz (sid or Braswell)
JG3 could be the odd man out
You think HW will get playing time over JG3?! I don't see HW sticking around.

You think HW will get playing time over JG3?! I don't see HW sticking around.
Would not be suprised if JG3 surpasses him but HW is really our only true PG on this roster also been here for a while

Would not be suprised if JG3 surpasses him but HW is really our only true PG on this roster also been here for a while
Agreed on the only true PG on the roster but he looked awful when he played. He is a mid major talent.

HW is barely a 3 star and we were the only real P5 offer to him. He also looked slow and disengaged when he played. He didn't show he could drive the ball or shoot. He seems like a great kid and I am rooting for him with everything he has been through but I just don't think he has P5 talent. We only offered because our top PG targets (I believe Arrojo, Green among others) dodged us.

This list may be wrong, but he had offers from: UVA, VT, Memphis, Butler, and BC, among a few others.

Truth is, we've had a non P5 PG for 3 years running in terms of both skill and IQ. Give me the same player with a high IQ and this offense is likely way better by default. HW is mentally better than Frank could hope to be.

D02rXkwXcAAK646

He took part in Sr. Night.
He isn’t coming back.

JB said on his show that he had no potential for a medical redshirt- if you sit out on a transfer, you aren't eligible for one.

The big hole over the last couple of season, IMO, is steady, consistent floor general play (aside from any sort of offensive contribution from the 5). For this reason, I want to see Howard Washington log a ton of minutes at PG. We don't need flash if we have steady and efficient. We've had none of this since MCW.

Tyler Ennis says High!

I thought he saw the floor better than any player on the roster, with the possible exception of Marek.

Next year with the exception of the center position JB is going to have a lot of tools in the box, with many guys being able to play multiple positions.

At point: Jalen, Washington, JG3, Goodine.
2: Hughes, Buddy, Goodine, Guerrier,, JG3
3: Hughes, Guerrier, Buddy, Bras, OB,
4: OB, Bras, Marek, J
5: Sid, Marek, J

My starting 5 next March
PG: Goodine
2: Hughes
3: Gurrier
4: OB
5: Marek

JG3 is the first pg off the bench.
Buddy the first 2
Bras at the 4
Hughes Guerrier OB cover the 3
SId J Marek and possibly the kid at the 5
Very deep team with more options than a Greek diner.
After seeing them play this year Marek has to start somewhere. He is our best all around kid who makes everyone better. Great basketball sense and he needs to play at forward with a sprinkle at center.

Guard Rotation
Buddy (27)
Carey (25)
Goodine (20)
Girard (6)
Washington (2)

Forward Rotation
Hughes (24)
OB (22)
Marek (8)
Guerrier (24)
Braswell (2)

QG will start season averaging about 16 but will be in the 30’s by the middle of ACC conf. Schedule.

Center Rotation
Marek (23)
Not yet on Roster (13)
Sidibe (4)

I won't speculate on what type of team we are going to be next year until there's some sample size of games played, etc.. But one thing is clear, we will have an immense amount of inexperience and ? at the most critical position in the game, PG. That being the case, it's anyone's guess where were finish next year in the league, etc.

I would bet a bag of jelly donuts that next year will be a lot more of the same as the last couple of years. PG is going to be a big question mark, as you pointed out; OB did not really develop this year and who knows where his head will be next year; Hughes has a binary game- he's either really on or dead to the world, Battle's gone, center remains a perpetual weakness; Marek will continue to develop, now if he can just put on a couple of pounds; we don't get turn-key freshman ready to ball from the get-go like the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world and developing early under JB is tough because patience (Capt Hook) is not one of his virtues so I don't see a ton of help there. Getting to feel like we have plateaued in the 25 to 50 range of national programs . . . and a lot closer to 50 than 25.

I would bet a bag of jelly donuts that next year will be a lot more of the same as the last couple of years. PG is going to be a big question mark, as you pointed out; OB did not really develop this year and who knows where his head will be next year; Hughes has a binary game- he's either really on or dead to the world, Battle's gone, center remains a perpetual weakness; Marek will continue to develop, now if he can just put on a couple of pounds; we don't get turn-key freshman ready to ball from the get-go like the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world and developing early under JB is tough because patience (Capt Hook) is not one of his virtues so I don't see a ton of help there. Getting to feel like we have plateaued in the 25 to 50 range of national programs . . . and a lot closer to 50 than 25.

JB has had plenty of freshmen contribute immediately. Battle and Brissett are excellent examples and Marek was playing very well at the end of last year. the thing is, you've got to have an opening for them. We have plenty of them last year, almost none this year. next year will be in between.

Next year with the exception of the center position JB is going to have a lot of tools in the box, with many guys being able to play multiple positions.

At point: Jalen, Washington, JG3, Goodine.
2: Hughes, Buddy, Goodine, Guerrier,, JG3
3: Hughes, Guerrier, Buddy, Bras, OB,
4: OB, Bras, Marek, J
5: Sid, Marek, J

My starting 5 next March
PG: Goodine
2: Hughes
3: Gurrier
4: OB
5: Marek

JG3 is the first pg off the bench.
Buddy the first 2
Bras at the 4
Hughes Guerrier OB cover the 3
SId J Marek and possibly the kid at the 5
Very deep team with more options than a Greek diner.
I really don’t see Joe Girard being an instant impact kind of player. I think he’s more of a kid who plays as a junior and senior. I think Jalen Carey will surprise some of the doubters and have a very good sophomore year and split time at PG with Goodine.

I’m pretty confident in JC.

Less confident in OB.

Not quite sure we are done for next year either.
Pretty confident in JC being back?

I thought he saw the floor better than any player on the roster, with the possible exception of Marek.
I just don’t think he’s athletic enough to get in the lane and I’m not sure about his jumper. I’m very wait and see about Washington.

Was Christmas the last decent big we had?
I believe so, but as a senior, he was much better than "decent," and his senior year was light years better than previous years because he worked his butt off in the summer.

This team has underachieved during the regular season.
I disagree. There’s not a whole lot of talent on this roster, the holes are obvious and the weaknesses (no PG, inconsistent shooting, rebounding and no interior threats) limit whatever ceiling this team could have. It’s just not a talented or skilled enough roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom