NEXT YEAR STARTING LINE-UPS? | Syracusefan.com

NEXT YEAR STARTING LINE-UPS?

orange84

Walk On
Before I begin this post I would like to say I've been viewing this website for a long time, now I finally have an account. Anyways, here we go.

So with Ennis leaving and possibly Grant, we are going to have to trust guys like B.J. Johnson, Ron Patterson, and most of all, Tyler Roberson. Roberson should have played A TON more than he did last year. That kid has so much potential, so next year Jimmy has to give him some minutes, to get him some experience. That goes for Ron and B.J. too. Also with Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough, we should have a lot more "depth", even though we should have had more next year. With that said though, here are my starting lineups for next year.

Note: I badly wanted to put Roberson in here, but he is not experienced enough.

If Jerami Grant stays:
C: Rakeem Christmas
PF: Jerami Grant
SF: Chris McCullough
SG: Michael Gbinije (just because he has length at the top of the zone and because and proved to be a lot better 3 point shooter than Cooney)
PG: Kaleb Joseph (he is exactly like Ennis, and has a more developed jump shot)

If Grant goes to the draft:
C: Dajuan Coleman
PF: Rakeem Christmas
SG: Michael Gbinije
PG: Kaleb Joseph

So yeah. I think if Grant goes to the draft and Roberson gets some minuets, he can sneak in for Coleman. Anyways, tell what you think in the comments!

Before I begin this post I would like to say I've been viewing this website for a long time, now I finally have an account. Anyways, here we go.

So with Ennis leaving and possibly Grant, we are going to have to trust guys like B.J. Johnson, Ron Patterson, and most of all, Tyler Roberson. Roberson should have played A TON more than he did last year. That kid has so much potential, so next year Jimmy has to give him some minutes, to get him some experience. That goes for Ron and B.J. too. Also with Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough, we should have a lot more "depth", even though we should have had more next year. With that said though, here are my starting lineups for next year.

If Jerami Grant stays:
SG: Michael Gbinije (just because he has length at the top of the zone and because and proved to be a lot better 3 point shooter than Cooney)

So yeah. I think if Grant goes to the draft and Roberson gets some minuets, he can sneak in for Coleman. Anyways, tell what you think in the comments!

Coney is going to start. As well Grant, because he's COMIN BACK.

1. Kaleb
2. Cooney
3. Grant
4. Christmas
5. DC

CMC off the bench in a Dion role. BJJ comes out of nowhere.

If Jerami Grant stays:

Kaleb is nothing like Ennis, and silent G is in no way a better 3 point shooter than Cooney. It's going to be

C-Christmas
F-Grant(If he stays) or Roberson
F-McCullough
SG- Cooney
PG-Kaleb

Joseph
Cooney
Grant
McCullough
Christmas

Roberson starts if Grant does leave but otherwise he is the 6th man.

Gbinije plays the same role he did this year but hopefully with more minutes and more production.

Coleman most likely splits time with Christmas at the 5 barring any further health setbacks.

All of this is IMO

I'd like for G to start and Cooney come off the bench as a shooter/scorer but with Ennis going pro, G has to come off the bench as the backup 1/2.

Kaleb Joseph
Trevor Cooney
Chris McCullough
Jerami Grant
Rakeem Christmas

Michael Gbinje
Tyler Roberson
Dajuan Coleman
BJ Johnson

If Grant or McCullough can develop a credible 3 point shot, this team has the potential to be absolutely nasty. If not, we will be a more talented, more athletic version of the team we had this year.

If Jerami comes back (see Jake's post) then four starting spots are locked up, in my opinion: Joseph, Cooney, Christmas, Grant. The big battle would be CMac vs. Roberson for the last wing spot and it's probably too early to tell. G will be in the mix to back up at the 1, 2 and 3 again and CMac or Roberson off the bench.
Biggest question marks:
1) depth at center - will DC2 be available? Is Chino ready?
2) PG backup - we got nothing but G
3) whether Buss and BJJ can work into the rotation in meaningful games. I really hope so. We've got the depth for a real 8 or 9 man rotation but I'm not very hopeful it will happen.

personally...looking at the team, they could be a heck of a lot better next year than this yrs team whether if grant comes back or even if he doesn't...
my lineup based on what I like to see but probably wont happen is..

joseph
G
Cmac
Grant
Christmas
bench:
coleman backup Christmas
cooney( I think he would be a better asset off the bench, "experience wise"
Roberson
Paterson
Johnson

grant leaves Roberson will have that slot

a lot of talent. hopefully we will be a better shooting next yr with more length to that zone

No love for DC as a starter? He'll be a junior, and we know how much JB loves to go with more experienced guys...even as just a token starter.

No love for DC as a starter? He'll be a junior, and we know how much JB loves to go with more experienced guys...even as just a token starter.

lack of experience at center is why I would bring him off bench since Christmas is always in foul trouble

It's not who starts it's who finishes but I'll play

With Grant
PG-Joseph
SG-Cooney
SF-Grant
PF-Rock
C-Coleman

Without Grant
PG-Joseph
SG-Cooney
SF-Roberson
PF-Rock
C-Coleman

I hate hate hateeeeee the double Center lineups. Token starter nonsense.

Holy congestion in the paint Batman.

Coney is going to start. As well Grant, because he's COMIN BACK.

1. Kaleb
2. Cooney
3. Grant
4. Christmas
5. DC

CMC off the bench in a Dion role. BJJ comes out of nowhere.

Doc, the problem is that your lineup doesn't have enough offense. As a couple people suggested right after you, replace DC with McCullough. Then DC can become the new Keita--the guy that comes right in as soon as JB wants to yell at Christmas for something (or when Rak gets the quick 2 fouls). The official 6th man needs to be Gbinije--as LongIslandCuse pointed out, he will be very valuable next year as he will need to sub at the 1 and the 2. (I'm sure that was the original plan this year as well, but Ennis never came out of the game). Wouldn't even surprise me if Gbinije got just as many minutes (if not more) than Joseph since he'll have minutes at two positions. And assuming he takes the projected step up next year, Roberson could be the instant offense off the bench like Southerland, K. Joseph, etc (probably too soon to mention Dion quite yet, but you get the idea).

Last edited:
Doc, the problem is that your lineup doesn't have enough offense. As a couple people suggested right after you, replace DC with McCullough. Then DC can become the new Keita--the guy that comes right in as soon as JB wants to yell at Christmas for something (or when Rak gets the quick 2 fouls). The official 6th man needs to be Gbinije--as LongIslandCuse pointed out, he will be very valuable next year as he will need to sub at the 1 and the 2. (I'm sure that was the original plan this year as well, but Trevor never came out of the game over the last few months). Wouldn't even surprise me if Gbinije got just as many minutes (if not more) than Joseph since he'll have minutes at two positions. And assuming he takes the projected step up next year, Roberson could be the instant offense off the bench like Southerland, K. Joseph, etc (probably too soon to mention Dion quite yet, but you get the idea).

Possible, but we know that JB goes with experience, he's played Xmas and DC together before in the past, and he's shown that he's not afraid to pull a starter after a couple minutes.

I could see CMc getting starters minutes after DC is pulled as the token starter.

You've been waiting to register since 1984 to come and reveal that G is a better 3 point shooter than Cooney?

I missed that. I'm sure G had to work as hard as Cooney to get looks from three.

It's not who starts it's who finishes but I'll play

With Grant
PG-Joseph
SG-Cooney
SF-Grant
PF-Rock
C-Coleman

Without Grant
PG-Joseph
SG-Cooney
SF-Roberson
PF-Rock
C-Coleman
Can we please give up the idea of playing Rak and DC2 together. It doesn't work. Rak has ZERO face up skills or ball handling skills at the forward position and doesn't score. Forwards in JB's system have to score. He is a center. DC2 has shown almost nothing in parts of 2 seasons other than he is a defensive liability in the middle of the zone. Rak starts at C and DC2 is a reserve until he proves otherwise.