Next year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year...

Am I crazy to think that both Battle and Lyndon with be back for another season? When going through the NBA draft class it is one of the deepest most talented in years. I don't think either would be a 1st round pick. Mali in a very weak draft class last year barely went 1st round. I think that Lydon would have went in the 1st round last year but he has not made the jump that I think most people thought he would. That combined with it being such a deep and talented class I say he stays put instead of getting a non guaranteed deal and one way ticket to the d league.

Yes you are crazy. Lyndon is gone. If Battle keeps improving he's gone too. That's the college game today.

I really can't see Battle going. The only way he does is if it's a Mali situation. We get into the tournament and Battle just goes off.

I'd be shocked if Lydon came back

I really can't see Battle going. The only way he does is if it's a Mali situation. We get into the tournament and Battle just goes off.

In today's world it just takes one great performance on a big stage. If we make the tourney and he scores 24 in a Sweet 16 game - that'd be enough. We've seen it before. Look at Jonny Flynn. The 6 OT game sealed his departure even after getting completely embarrassed in the NCAA Tourney.

If Lydon and Battle didn't play for Syracuse.. let's say they played for UNC.. I'd think they were both coming back.

I hadn't thought about the fact next year is a weaker draft class. This one is loaded.

I think Lydon has underperformed this year. I think he has learned a lot lately about becoming a true "go to" guy. I think if he did come back, he could blow up. I think he still is only scratching the surface of his talent.

Some kids (not ours, apparently, but at other schools), they come back as sophomores and juniors to still improve their draft stock. Didn't Buddy Hield, the PG out of Oklahoma, come back after his sophomore year when he shot 38% from 3 and averaged 16 points a game? He sure did, and he even came back for his junior AND his senior year and he wound up going 6th in the draft.

Number 5 pick Kris Dunn out of Providence was a junior, and Bryce Johnson, the big man out of North Carolina was a senior and he only went a couple picks after Malachi.

So who says a player can't come back for his junior or even senior year and not improve his draft stock, and not get picked in the first round?

I think Lydon has underperformed this year. I think he has learned a lot lately about becoming a true "go to" guy. I think if he did come back, he could blow up. I think he still is only scratching the surface of his talent.

Some kids (not ours, apparently, but at other schools), they come back as sophomores and juniors to still improve their draft stock. Didn't Buddy Hield, the PG out of Oklahoma, come back after his sophomore year when he shot 38% from 3 and averaged 16 points a game? He sure did, and he even came back for his junior AND his senior year and he wound up going 6th in the draft.

Number 5 pick Kris Dunn out of Providence was a junior, and Bryce Johnson, the big man out of North Carolina was a senior and he only went a couple picks after Malachi.

So who says a player can't come back for his junior or even senior year and not improve his draft stock, and not get picked in the first round?
I actually agree with everything you said. Lydon has not played to his potential this year, in fact, I don't even think it is close. He has long stretches where he disappears. Crazy to say this because he has been very good. He still doesn't have that killer instinct yet, or realize how good he is. Next year if he returned, I think he would be an 18+ scorer.

Lydon does still have SOME to gain from staying one more year. The only thing really working against him is age but his shot/size/growing ability to create shots is only getting better and will continue to entice scouts.

He'd be great for a team like the Celtics. Get rid of Olynyk and add Rico.

There are 7 freshman in the ACC that are playing pretty well. Two are most definitely lotto picks (Issac and Smith Jr.), and the rest are iffy, maybe Frank Jackson has already made up his mind. Battle ranks 6th in points per game and hasn't really done that much else to distinguish himself. He certainly hasn't hurt his case, but yeah, he would need to really put the team on his back to big first round consideration.

If Lydon comes back he needs to be on a better offseason program than he was. He put weight on but I don't think it was good weight.
#firehicks

There are 7 freshman in the ACC that are playing pretty well. Two are most definitely lotto picks (Issac and Smith Jr.), and the rest are iffy, maybe Frank Jackson has already made up his mind. Battle ranks 6th in points per game and hasn't really done that much else to distinguish himself. He certainly hasn't hurt his case, but yeah, he would need to really put the team on his back to big first round consideration.

Those Duke guys are leaving regardless of how they play and they aren't playing well.

I actually agree with everything you said. Lydon has not played to his potential this year, in fact, I don't even think it is close. He has long stretches where he disappears. Crazy to say this because he has been very good. He still doesn't have that killer instinct yet, or realize how good he is. Next year if he returned, I think he would be an 18+ scorer.

This is exactly how I feel, too. The thing about college vs. going pro is that in college you get to learn how to develop a killer instinct, if it's inside you. You get the chance to be "the man" on national TV, and not in some town in Idaho or Ohio with no coverage and no one in the audience, like you would experience as D League player.

Pressure creates better players. Just because there are no time limits on practice, coaches, etc., in the pros doesn't mean you can't get better psychologically in college. That's where you get the exposure, the spotlight - not on the end of a bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom