Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Next Year

I think today's win assured us that Cuse will be ranked preseason next year. I mean if bums like McMurphy are talking how Nebraska is a shoe in to be ranked preseason after a "close loss" to Iowa, and a 4-7 season, then there is no way Syracuse shouldn't be ranked to start the year.

Just based off of next years schedule we definitely have a chance to match the win total. Getting to 10 is tough to call, but it will definitely be feasible while discussing throughout the off-season.

I think people are going to spend the offseason underestimating what a loss ED was.
Certainly the caveat based on how Devito transforms into the starter. I think he is built for this offense though. With an off-season as “the guy” and more work as the number one he could be special. I think he will have more weapons, which certainly helps. Everywhere else, we should be better, save maybe the OL.

I think people are going to spend the offseason underestimating what a loss ED was.

Just as they will underestimate the value of having Amie sitting in the wings will be given his mobility. Keeping the cupboard stocked will be huge. Also having so many weapons at RB and in the slot will offset that as well. Offense will look a bit different but running game could be really explosive.

Bowling gives us extra practice and development time which is a huge boost heading into the spring.

He's a great player, and would be ridiculous to say he wouldn't be missed, but I think next years team, and the following years teams will be much more prepared to play with more of a pure passer. For as good as Eric is improvising, and making something out of nothing, I think Dino/Lynch, would prefer more of a pure passing QB. Eric's strengths were exactly what we needed the last 3 years under Babers while he built up the OL, and skill positions. Next year we will have the horses to rotate backs to run the ball, and a number of WR's with all sorts of different strengths to toss the ball around to. Eric's improvisation shouldn't be as needed to generate offense as it has in the past. We should have the skill position players where if we can get them the ball where it needs to be they will make plays. Eric will be missed, but TD will be that gunslinger that could put up eye popping passing numbers. Who knows maybe Amie has a chance (thanks for the applause) to come in as that change of pace QB, that can give you a little bit of what Eric did, if the situation calls for it? TD with 3 years of this system under his belt, with weapons all over the field, is going to be pretty fun to watch.

Agreed. We lose arguably the most important player this program has had since McNabb. That usually doesn't equate to the following year's team being "better".

I don't doubt that the loss will hurt but the culture here right now is about sustainable high level success. Depth and talent across the board. We will be a different team in some ways next year which will be good because we won't have the Dungey magic.

Certainly the caveat based on how Devito transforms into the starter. I think he is built for this offense though. With an off-season as “the guy” and more work as the number one he could be special. I think he will have more weapons, which certainly helps. Everywhere else, we should be better, save maybe the OL.
We need to have an efficient run game for Devito to work like he should. No more dungey heroics to bail us out, especially in the red zone.

Agree. People don’t realize how important Dungeys running ability was to our success. Devito may become the better passer but without Dungeys legs, the OL will have to be better. Devito will rely on the OL more than Dungey did. We lose 3 starters there.

Agree. People don’t realize how important Dungeys running ability was to our success. Devito may become the better passer but without Dungeys legs, the OL will have to be better. Devito will rely on the OL more than Dungey did. We lose 3 starters there.
But we also return 3 “starters”

“” means a player who played starters snaps but did not actually start the game

Bowling gives us extra practice and development time which is a huge boost heading into the spring.
Since Dino has arrived, this particular sentiment has been stated as a regret for not getting a young team the extra practices it so despatately needs. Now we get that chance. Now we build momentum for the Spring and for 2019!
The importance of this cannot be overstated!

I think we’ll take a bit of a step back at the beginning of next year, but we’ll look much better later in the year. That @ Maryland game will be tough.

Eric is a huge loss, but Tommy is going to have a great career and shatter some records.

It seems to me that next year we will have a QB, OL and skill players that Dino envisions when running this offense.

We lose Dungey, which is a big deal, but we have a prototype QB for this offense, along with high level legit Top 25 talent with said QB. Something Dungey never really had the luxury of playing with.

Imagine this offense with more guys like the ‘18 version of Moe Neal and Etta Tawo/Ishmael...

I love Eric, but I don’t really have an issue with going on record right now predicting that DeVito will end up being comparable to McNabb by the time he is done. He has everything you could possibly ask for in someone to run this offense. He looked bad against Notre Dame, so did everyone else including Eric. Tommy is going to be outstanding right away for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom