Next Year's The Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year's The Year

Sorry for Gbinije & Cooney, but next year is when the program returns to the level that we had seen it a couple years ago, in my opinion.

I don't think the team has the firepower in the middle of the zone this year. Would love to be proven wrong, and I do think we can make the Tournament and anything can happen there, as we have seen, but I'm not sure we will have the ability to play with the top teams in the country this year.

Gbinije & Cooney are two pretty big losses but I think we are going to be stacked next year. Here's what the lineup could look like next year:

G - Battle (#38 Player in 2016)
G - Richardson (#23 Player in 2015)
F - Lydon (#76 Player in 2015)
F - Roberson (#31 Player in 2013)
C - Coleman (#14 Player in 2012)

Bench
Chukwu (#61 Player in 2014)
Joseph (#50 Player in 2014)
Moyer (#54 Player in 2016)
Howard (#94 Player in 2015)
Obokoh

If Coleman does not come back (which is a distinct possibility), Taurean Thompson could be the 10th.

That's an incredibly strong 9/10 players, in my opinion.

Although the book is still open on Cooney, at this point his loss would be addition by subtraction. His points per shot production is so low that it is detrimental to the team. On balance, his shooting has been beneficial to the other team. He produces less than one point per shot. It is argued that he has to shoot as there is no other choice and perhaps that is right, but it is a sad reflection on our recent weaknesses. I feel bad to have said this because he is a good kid and has skills. I hope that his shot comes around and stays around for his senior season. He is so close to putting it together.

AlaskaSU said:
I hope that his shot comes around and stays around for his senior season. He is so close to putting it together.

I shouldn't do this on the free side, but here's some inside info straight from JB. Cooney is definitely staying around for his senior season.

Although the book is still open on Cooney, at this point his loss would be addition by subtraction. His points per shot production is so low that it is detrimental to the team. On balance, his shooting has been beneficial to the other team. He produces less than one point per shot. It is argued that he has to shoot as there is no other choice and perhaps that is right, but it is a sad reflection on our recent weaknesses. I feel bad to have said this because he is a good kid and has skills. I hope that his shot comes around and stays around for his senior season. He is so close to putting it together.

Not positive, but I think that would be an NCAA violation for failure to monitor the number of years your players have, you know, played.

I shouldn't do this on the free side, but here's some inside info straight from JB. Cooney is definitely staying around for his senior season.
Cooney is here but what about his shot? In prior years it has not stuck around for the whole season. When it leaves we get shaky potatoes. Will the real Cooney please show up.

Last edited:

I agree with that.Its also tough because Cooney may not develop that second above average skill that jrs and seniors should for a team like Syracuse. I see Gbinije,Kaleb and Roberson being better passers off the dribble,better defenders and better at getting to the line. Although he does get two steals per game, they won't come like Kaleb,Gbinije and Roberson who can get a few one on one. That doesn't scream to me needing 35 minutes of play especially for a guy who wore down more as the season went along. It doesn't make all that much sense, when you got Gbinije and Roberson who are ready to run the full 40, in a 9 man rotation, with Gbinije who can spot guard or forward whoever is playing bad that night in low scoring games.

Give him time though, maybe he will spend less time doing shooting drills during the season and find that second thing to set him apart. Good Senior leaders are ready to make sacrifices for what the team needs more then what they are most comfortable doing, and it takes a ton of athleticism to do that at a high division one level.

I think back to senior scoop jardine. He shot alot as a junior and really lowered his shots for Fair, Dion, and Triche his senior year. I think that is our best case scenerio with Cooney on off nights. When hes on hes good enough to be first second option when hes off you don't want him any better then 4th maybe even 5th. Even when hes off though he can knock down a few important ones late.

Last edited:
If we get better play from the point it may take some of the stress of Cooney so he's not running around like a maniac for forty minutes trying to get open.

I could see Cooney using more isolation pull up shooting to open up the occasional roll, opposite of the past years.

Straight line spot up shooters can utilize a pump fake better then curling spot up shooters. Maybe Cooney will be more of a straight line cutter this year to find a pump fake. We could save the rolling for Lydon in particular.

orangefan13 said:
I agree with that.Its also tough because Cooney may not develop that second above average skill that jrs and seniors should for a team like Syracuse. I see Gbinije,Kaleb and Roberson being better passers off the dribble,better defenders and better at getting to the line. Although he does get two steals per game, they won't come like Kaleb,Gbinije and Roberson who can get a few one on one. That doesn't scream to me needing 35 minutes of play especially for a guy who wore down more as the season went along. It doesn't make all that much sense, when you got Gbinije and Roberson who are ready to run the full 40, in a 9 man rotation, with Gbinije who can spot guard or forward whoever is playing bad that night in low scoring games. Give him time though, maybe he will spend less time doing shooting drills during the season and find that second thing to set him apart. Good Senior leaders are ready to make sacrifices for what the team needs more then what they are most comfortable doing, and it takes a ton of athleticism to do that at a high division one level. I think back to senior scoop jardine. He shot alot as a junior and really lowered his shots for Fair, Dion, and Triche his senior year. I think that is our best case scenerio with Cooney on off nights. When hes on hes good enough to be first second option when hes off you don't want him any better then 4th maybe even 5th. Even when hes off though he can knock down a few important ones late.

Now kalebs a good defender? The season hasn't even started and already things are being made up to denigrate Cooney. You know he'll probably be the leading scorer or 2nd at worst right?

Last edited:
Now kalebs a good defender? The season hasn't even started and already things are being made up to denigrate Cooney. You knowledge he'll probably be the leading scorer or 2nd at worst right?
I don't know why, but the descent into madness seems to come sooner each year.

I think it is all leading up to the 2017-2018 season (Boeheim's Last). If enough of these players stick around Boeheim could exit on a serious winning season.

Fair's ballhandling was suspect and we haven't seen enough of Roberson's jumper to definitively say he can't shoot. Fair couldn't make 3's until his junior season after all. Improved offensive output and continued success on the boards and defense could do the trick. Roberson is a 4 that plays like a 4. Nothing about Fair was a PF.

Fair was a much better ball handler than Roberson is. Good enough to play the 3. Fair was a very good all around shooter, especially mid-range. He always had a good stroke and good mechanics, and became a good 3-point shooter. His issues was getting the ball off quicker. At 6-8, he's a small forward in the NBA. There are not many 6-8 power forwards in the NBA. We've seen Roberson for 2 years, and he hasn't shown the ability to shoot from outside or even midrange consistently. He has weird mechanics on his shot. I think Roberson will get better, but it will take 4 years. From the practice reports I've read, he's still not a good shooter, and hasn't improved a whole lot from last year. He will average more points and rebounds per game because Rak is gone, but his skills have not improved enough for him to get drafted after this year, IMO.

Fair was a much better ball handler than Roberson is. Good enough to play the 3. Fair was a very good all around shooter, especially mid-range. He always had a good stroke and good mechanics, and became a good 3-point shooter. His issues was getting the ball off quicker. At 6-8, he's a small forward in the NBA. There are not many 6-8 power forwards in the NBA. We've seen Roberson for 2 years, and he hasn't shown the ability to shoot from outside or even midrange consistently. He has weird mechanics on his shot. I think Roberson will get better, but it will take 4 years. From the practice reports I've read, he's still not a good shooter, and hasn't improved a whole lot from last year. He will average more points and rebounds per game because Rak is gone, but his skills have not improved enough for him to get drafted after this year, IMO.
I actually think he has a nice stroke. I think the only thing that Roberson is missing is confidence. He needs to come out with some swag. Check out this video.

This is the year people! Good grief, you guys count teams out way too fast. Senior returner and is probably a top 5 player in the ACC.

Cooney has about a bazillion amount of experience in big moments and has proven he can be a more than effective player. Joseph can't get any worse than he was last year and reports on him are looking good to come off the bench and contribute which is the role I preferred Joseph to be in. Malachi is just a talented young player who can really shoot it. Something we have lacked since Southerland. He will really complement Cooney and both will feed off each others success hopefully.

Roberson is due for a breakout junior year. I am a huge fan of his rebounding out of the zone and we all have to pray that he improved his shooting mid-range and maybe out to the three. His stroke is a tad too mechanical for my liking but he has decent form. He seems to think too much on his free throws and shooting in general. He will be a work horse offensively and could absolutely record some 20 & 10 ACC games.

Lydon, in my opinion, will play more than Coleman. I fully expect this team to play Cooney, Mali, Silent G, Roberson, and Lydon more than any lineup. Coleman is just not ready to play a lot of minutes and I do not know if he ever will (Hope like hell I am wrong).

This is a COMPLETELY different team compared to recent years. Looking forward to seeing what Boeheim changes and adjusts with this years team. He has to adjust. The personnel requires him to, IMO.

Obviously next year, if MALI stays this team will be stacked. Real stoked about Pikachu in the middle of the zone. Times look bright people, but for christ sakes this team has 3 VETERAN proven guys with a lot of young talent. I am excited for this year. I must add, the OOC schedule is absolutely brutal. I think a lot of the season depends on how they do in the OOC.

Now kalebs a good defender? The season hasn't even started and already things are being made up to denigrate Cooney. You know he'll probably be the leading scorer or 2nd at worst right?

Not bashing at all, and know your speaking up for Cooney in general :).
Just some opinions :). Kaleb stole the ball alittle bit one on one later in the season Cooney gets his reading the passing lanes, when opponents aren't driving. Neither were good at containing the driver.
I like Cooney, but I would Love him if he took less shots on a off night.

Unless Cooney gets his FG% up, We will lose in march if he shoots the ball poor, or when we have 7 or more turnovers than our opponents.

I see our ceiling as sweet 16 if Cooney is 3-13 or 2-11.
I see our Ceiling as Darkhorse if three other guys (including G) step up, and Cooney is 1-6, 2-7 on off nights with a few crunch time threes. Depends how good those other two next to G are.
I just don't see Cooney as the type of shooter who will start 0-5 and end 5-12. I think 2-8, 2-3 in crunch time would be better for off nights.
Pressure makes the team better.

Going back to the turnovers, hopefully G or Kaleb can get those assists down. Hope to see Roberson force things off the dribble more for the first 3/4 of the season, as maybe it could open up a couple assists a game as well, and take that mechanical look off his jumper. Dying to see some half court transition assists, and we have the shooters to find them.

Last edited:
I actually think he has a nice stroke. I think the only thing that Roberson is missing is confidence. He needs to come out with some swag. Check out this video.

Maybe you're right. I read Roberson was hitting 3's in practice last week.

This is the year people! Good grief, you guys count teams out way too fast.

We are one injury to Coleman away from the NIT. Wake up. Teams that compete for the national championship have depth and athleticism in the front court. If we had Chukwu this year, or Thomas Bryant, and/or Chris McCullough, we would be a contender. We have some very good skill players on the perimeter and depth. But I think we are one or two big men (and an elite PG) away from real contention. This is another in-between year for us, if you are being honest with yourself. We are missing some pieces that will arrive in another year (e.g. Battle, Chukwu, Moyer).

Sorry for Gbinije & Cooney, but next year is when the program returns to the level that we had seen it a couple years ago, in my opinion.

I don't think the team has the firepower in the middle of the zone this year. Would love to be proven wrong, and I do think we can make the Tournament and anything can happen there, as we have seen, but I'm not sure we will have the ability to play with the top teams in the country this year.

Gbinije & Cooney are two pretty big losses but I think we are going to be stacked next year. Here's what the lineup could look like next year:

G - Battle (#38 Player in 2016)
G - Richardson (#23 Player in 2015)
F - Lydon (#76 Player in 2015)
F - Roberson (#31 Player in 2013)
C - Coleman (#14 Player in 2012)

Bench
Chukwu (#61 Player in 2014)
Joseph (#50 Player in 2014)
Moyer (#54 Player in 2016)
Howard (#94 Player in 2015)
Obokoh

If Coleman does not come back (which is a distinct possibility), Taurean Thompson could be the 10th.

That's an incredibly strong 9/10 players, in my opinion.

I can't wait to see Pikachu play the center of the zone!

We are one injury to Coleman away from the NIT. Wake up. Teams that compete for the national championship have depth and athleticism in the front court. If we had Chukwu this year, or Thomas Bryant, and/or Chris McCullough, we would be a contender. We have some very good skill players on the perimeter and depth. But I think we are one or two big men (and an elite PG) away from real contention. This is another in-between year for us, if you are being honest with yourself. We are missing some pieces that will arrive in another year (e.g. Battle, Chukwu, Moyer).

I agree with you post even though I don't want to believe it. My Orange heart is in denial.

The frontline is talented (Lydon, Roberson and Mali for this year). Dajuan's rust is a bigger issue than his health at this point. I like the move to a perimeter oriented offense. I think it will max out our offensive potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom