Next yr WR - for now | Syracusefan.com

Next yr WR - for now

GoSU96

Living Legend
I’ll put Gadsden and Villari in with the WR’s even though they are TE on the roster.

Adams - R-Sr
Jones - Sr
Gadsden - Jr
Pena - Jr
Alford - Jr
Hatcher - So
Long - So
Villari -So
Brown - R-Fr
Cohoon - Fr

Mang - Jr
Mahar - Jr
Clement - Fr

There’s no need at the moment to sign more bodies. Numerically it’s fine. If you can get obvious upgrades, there is room, but I wouldn’t add just to add.

I’ll put Gadsden and Villari in with the WR’s even though they are TE on the roster.

Adams - R-Sr
Jones - Sr
Gadsden - Jr
Pena - Jr
Alford - Jr
Hatcher - So
Long - So
Villari -So
Brown - R-Fr
Cohoon - Fr

Mang - Jr
Mahar - Jr
Clement - Fr

There’s no need at the moment to sign more bodies. Numerically it’s fine. If you can get obvious upgrades, there is room, but I wouldn’t add just to add.

That is frightening Gadsden is the only proven talent. We better be adding more talent at both the WR and TE position.

I've thought that Villari has looked good in warm-ups. Looks the part, and looks smooth catching the ball. Has started to see the field some later in the season. If he commits himself to the weight room and learning how to block, I hope he can become a serviceable TE.

I've thought that Villari has looked good in warm-ups. Looks the part, and looks smooth catching the ball. Has started to see the field some later in the season. If he commits himself to the weight room and learning how to block, I hope he can become a serviceable TE.

If he stays at Syracuse and believes in the vision of moving to TE I think he can and will do it. These bowl practices and spring ball are vital for him.

If you can get a stud, fine. Otherwise, I'm pretty fine with letting opposing DB's try to cover 6'5 Gadsden, 6'4, Jones, and 6'6 Alford at once. They don't even have to be open. Not to mention Pena in the slot and Adams and Hatcher behind them.

IMO we have 2 holes that need to be filled.

Outside WR #1
1. Jones
2. ???

Outside WR #2 (deep threat)
1. Alford
2. Adams
3. Hatcher

Small Inside WR
1. Pena
2. ???

Big Inside WR
1. Gadsden
2. Villari

Can Brown or Cohoon fit either of those? If not then we need more people.

If you can get a stud, fine. Otherwise, I'm pretty fine with letting opposing DB's try to cover 6'5 Gadsden, 6'4, Jones, and 6'6 Alford at once. They don't even have to be open. Not to mention Pena in the slot and Adams and Hatcher behind them.

It can't be just about next season. You need depth and backups for practice as much as games and we need to always have kids in the pipeline.

The WR group as a hole is still underwhelming. Gadsden proved himself and Adams looks like he belongs but everyone else?

Villari at 240 is probably the closest thing we have to a TE on the roster so I wouldn't include him in the WR groupings. Why could he get on the field with the way Mang and Hoeh struggled. That's a big question I have.

returning production:

#PlayerGPNOYDSAVGTDLongAVG/G
19Gadsden II, Oronde125489116.5064674.25
7Cooper, Devaughn122937612.9733331.33
82Alford, Damien121737221.8825831.00
34Tucker, Sean12362547.0625521.17
9Jackson, Courtney121520113.4012516.75
2Pena, Trebor101919110.0503019.10
85Adams, D'Marcus8517134.2024521.38
80Jones, Isaiah346015.0012520.00
20Allen, LeQuint126579.501414.75
17Hatcher, Umari734214.001166.00
81Mang, Maximilian125316.20082.58
12Villari, Dan612222.000223.67
14Queeley, Anthony311212.000124.00
13Hayes, CJ7155.00050.71

Gadsden is obviously a proven guy and will be a focal point of the offense.

I think Isaiah Jones will have a nice year. I also expect D'Marcus Adams to have a good season. It seems once he actually got on the field, he was able to get open and get behind the defense, quite often. We just need Shrader to be a bit more accurate on the long passes.

That brings me to Damien Alford, who seems to have plenty of talent but it only shows up in 1 or 2 monster catches each game and a whole lot of nothing else. Hopefully he can finally break out.

And maybe Hatcher or Brown gets it going next year. It seems like we have some talent, but it needs to start panning out. Or perhaps I/this board are overrating what we have.

Alford and Adams on the outside and Gadsen in the slot.

The odds of Cohoon being ready to contribute next year are slim.

For a team that typically runs 3-4 WRs on any given down, I think you need at least 10 that you wouldn't fear putting into a game. Which leaves 1 spot, maybe 2 depending on development of Brown, Long, Villari.

I agree with your last point though, I wouldn't add for the sake of adding (i.e. CJ Hayes). I'd get someone you know can contribute right away.

The odds of Cohoon being ready to contribute next year are slim.

For a team that typically runs 3-4 WRs on any given down, I think you need at least 10 that you wouldn't fear putting into a game. Which leaves 1 spot, maybe 2 depending on development of Brown, Long, Villari.

I agree with your last point though, I wouldn't add for the sake of adding (i.e. CJ Hayes). I'd get someone you know can contribute right away.
Reports are Brown is doing great on the scout team.

That is frightening Gadsden is the only proven talent. We better be adding more talent at both the WR and TE position.
They threw 26 times a game, 110th in attempts, not a lot of opportunity to have a bunch of guys get a lot of targets, and even fewer with the targets Tucker got.

Those first six all proved they can make plays at this level.

We all know Gadsden is really good for his spot.

I expect Jones to return next year and be a big part of the offense. Jackson didn't work at the outside spot this year. Just not his position. I like Cohoon as a prospect. I would expect him to be an outside guy but we should not expect him to fill a roll next year however. I think he needs a redshirt and then will be ready. I think Hatcher and Adams will fill in nicely as back-up outside guys.

I don't expect too much from Long.

I expect us to bring in at least one more receiver. I think we do need another smaller slot type of player after loosing both Cooper and Jackson who had the potential to play inside as well. Brown may be able to play the slot and I think probably gets first crack at back-up behind Pena. It seems like Brown could play either inside or out. But i would expect both Adams and Hatcher may have the ability to fill in there if needed as well. But I think getting and developing another taller wideout may be a higher priority for future years if we only have Gadsden one more year and Jones will use up eligibility. The outside guys tend to take longer to develop in my opinion.

At TE Villari should be able to contribute next year but not sure to what degree. Mang should hopefully be a little better next year but I don't think he'll be great. I don't expect Clement to do anything as a true frosh coming off of an injury and not playing at all this season. But hopefully he develops well for us following that as it would be great to have a 6'-5" 270 lbs TE that can play. Doesn't seem like Mahar is going to contribute much. Would love a solid TE transfer but I have doubt that it happens.

I don't expect Hoeh to improve enough as a FB/TE where he should be playing. Can we recruit a FB/TE player or is that going to go to Clement? Seems we need another either way.

Last edited:
I would like to see the numbers on how often each of these guys are targeted. I always felt Shrader always focused in on Gadsden or Tucker

They threw 26 times a game, 110th in attempts, not a lot of opportunity to have a bunch of guys get a lot of targets, and even fewer with the targets Tucker got.

Those first six all proved they can make plays at this level.

Umm no.

Adams - R-Sr
Jones - Sr
Gadsden - Jr
Pena - Jr
Alford - Jr
Hatcher - So
Long - So
Villari -So
Brown - R-Fr
Cohoon - Fr

Mang - Jr
Mahar - Jr
Clement - Fr

Jones is listed as a red-shirt sophomore on cuse.com.

Agree, and if Alford can begin to regularly make plays (like the one he missed in the end zone in the BC game), he could become a real, consistent threat. Someone DC’s will have to plan for.

They didn’t? How so?

You just said how little opportunity they had. Look at those numbers that are listed above. How do those look like proven numbers?

You just said how little opportunity they had. Look at those numbers that are listed above. How do those look like proven numbers?
When they’ve had opportunities they have all made plays. How many targets they get is out of their control to a large extent.

It can't be just about next season. You need depth and backups for practice as much as games and we need to always have kids in the pipeline.

The WR group as a hole is still underwhelming. Gadsden proved himself and Adams looks like he belongs but everyone else?
Top proven guys aren't transferring to be backups here. As I stated previously, if they're a stud and can beat out our top guys, bring 'em in. I know the grass is greener on the other side, but I think Alford has shown more than you're giving him credit for, as did Jones before his injury. The bigger issue is giving the QB time to throw them the ball.

Top proven guys aren't transferring to be backups here. As I stated previously, if they're a stud and can beat out our top guys, bring 'em in. I know the grass is greener on the other side, but I think Alford has shown more than you're giving him credit for, as did Jones before his injury. The bigger issue is giving the QB time to throw them the ball.

I was talking about HS recruits not transfers.

Alford has always reminded me of Custis. I assume he'll have his breakout year when he's a senior.