Next... | Syracusefan.com

Next...

DeepThrowIt

Walk On
If Cuse settles and hires Shafer or Hackett, it will never be more obvious that Gross doesn't expect to be here much longer. I understand the timing isn't great but at the same time you need to make the right hire. None of the recruits are big enough to rush a hire to keep the class together. Have to hope Gross has already been working the back channels this week.

My hope is that Doug knew he was leaving and things are already set up for the next staff because he does care about SU as well as his own career...win win I'm hoping for unless Doug is mad and bitter which I don't know if he is or not.

If Cuse settles and hires Shafer or Hackett, it will never be more obvious that Gross doesn't expect to be here much longer. I understand the timing isn't great but at the same time you need to make the right hire. None of the recruits are big enough to rush a hire to keep the class together. Have to hope Gross has already been working the back channels this week.

At this stage of where the University sits - entering the ACC, a lame-duck chancellor - I would much rather lose Marrone than Gross. Hope to goodness we don't lose both within the same year.

Best time to make a new head coaching hire in college football is around December 10th. Are you able to roll back the calendar a month?

There is absolutely no hope for this program if: 1) a "Doom's Day" Contigency Plan has not been in place since early November. 2) Gross/Hiring Committee is not on the phone right now lining up interviews; reviewing the candidates from the Contingency Plan against the candidates that are already contacting the program.

I'm not so sure a short term solution is not the way to go here. Anselmo was supposedly retiring in the near future. Gross should bring him, Hackett and Schafer together and work something out for the next year while a comprehensive search for a new coach is undertaken and the BOT can get their act together to determine what their commitment to football and the ACC is going to be.

My hope is that Doug knew he was leaving and things are already set up for the next staff \

I don't think happened even a little bit unless the next staff is the current coaches at SU. There is no way Marrone was out helping to recruit the next coach and put a staff in place while interviewing for NFL jobs that he didn't know he was going to get. If that had happened, we would have heard it from some source that Marrone was contacting college coaches about the upcoming position at SU.

I don't think happened even a little bit unless the next staff is the current coaches at SU. There is no way Marrone was out helping to recruit the next coach and put a staff in place while interviewing for NFL jobs that he didn't know he was going to get. If that had happened, we would have heard it from some source that Marrone was contacting college coaches about the upcoming position at SU.

Sorry...I meant was that the current staff will remain pretty much in place and Marrone won't take much from SU. One of the current staff will be HC.

Respectfully disagree.

SU has been throwing out feelers. For sure.

Why hire a guy that brings in another system? 4 years worth of players to fit this system.

Why hire a guy that recruits new territories? Started to make inroads in alot of these places over last 3-4 years. If anything, SU needs to start being consistent in their recruiting strategy and presence.

Why hire a guy that will screw up a good team chemistry? Not saying that will definately happen, but keeping one of the assistants would preserve alot of the good mojo going.

If SU is a stone-skipping school, why go after another coach who will change alot of things and then leave us at the altar? Give Hack or Shafer the reigns and continue building on what has already been done over the last 4 years.

I do not necessarily agree that none of the recruits are big enough. ZA, Gus and Arciniega are very good players.

I'm not so sure a short term solution is not the way to go here. Anselmo was supposedly retiring in the near future. Gross should bring him, Hackett and Schafer together and work something out for the next year while a comprehensive search for a new coach is undertaken and the BOT can get their act together to determine what their commitment to football and the ACC is going to be.

How do they recruit next year if they do this?

"Hey kid, come to cuse and play for a coach we don't know yet."

My point is, IMO, it's better to take a few weeks at the risk of losing a few (if they have other possible destinations right now) of this years recruits to get a better coach/longer term solution. Not like we have a bunch of four and five star kids we are risking.

Sorry...I meant was that the current staff will remain pretty much in place and Marrone won't take much from SU. One of the current staff will be HC.

Jesus, I'm batting zero today on interpreting peoples posts. I agree with you and thinking back to JB's statements after his dinner with Marrone, I wonder if he knew Marrone was gone for sure and that is what he meant by Marrone doesn't want to hurt the University?

My point is, IMO, it's better to take a few weeks at the risk of losing a few (if they have other possible destinations right now) of this years recruits to get a better coach/longer term solution. Not like we have a bunch of four and five star kids we are risking.

Agreed.

Also makes sense as to the unusual number of JUCOS that have signed.

But were not getting 4 - 5 star recruits no matter who we hire. It's taken awhile to build up the recruiting inroads we have made in order to get the higher caliber, physically ready players we are starting to get on campus. I don't think Rocco meant keep the staff and figure out someone new over the next year, I think he literally meant keep the current staff in place long-term.

Respectfully disagree.

SU has been throwing out feelers. For sure.

Why hire a guy that brings in another system? 4 years worth of players to fit this system.

Why hire a guy that recruits new territories? Started to make inroads in alot of these places over last 3-4 years. If anything, SU needs to start being consistent in their recruiting strategy and presence.

Why hire a guy that will screw up a good team chemistry? Not saying that will definately happen, but keeping one of the assistants would preserve alot of the good mojo going.

If SU is a stone-skipping school, why go after another coach who will change alot of things and then leave us at the altar? Give Hack or Shafer the reigns and continue building on what has already been done over the last 4 years.

I do not necessarily agree that none of the recruits are big enough. ZA, Gus and Arciniega are very good players.

Well the ADs job is to find someone who's system matches personnel. We run a pro-style offense and defense, that shouldn't be hard. Same with recruiting. The new guy better have connections in the NE and spots in the SE/Texas. Again, this shouldn't be hard.

Team chemistry, ok I see your point. But that's Doug's fault, not the new guy's. granted the new guy could make team chemistry BETTER.

If we can keep some of the staff we can keep some recruiting ties. In the past we cut those ties when we cut coaches... In this case the coach moved on and we must continue to work those connections

Jesus, I'm batting zero today on interpreting peoples posts. I agree with you and thinking back to JB's statements after his dinner with Marrone, I wonder if he knew Marrone was gone for sure and that is what he meant by Marrone doesn't want to hurt the University?

My brain isn't working either but I hope so and TGD is a sharp guy and I'm sure he has been working all 10 of his phones, even his spare tracphone.

But were not getting 4 - 5 star recruits no matter who we hire. It's taken awhile to build up the recruiting inroads we have made in order to get the higher caliber, physically ready players we are starting to get on campus. I don't think Rocco meant keep the staff and figure out someone new over the next year, I think he literally meant keep the current staff in place long-term.

That's short sighted. Hire a dynamic recruiter and anything is possible.

Doug Marrone and his staff are not the only coaches who have inroads in our recruiting areas.

All I am saying is we should be thinking "better" than Shafer and Hackett (who, early in the season, people wanted fired.)

Disagree. Gross should make best hire for program. If he thinks that is keeping staff in place, then do that. If he thinks it is a new coach then do that. Chip Kelly was on Oregon staff when Mime Bellotti left. Kyle Flood was on Rutgers staff when Schiano left. Coach P was on Syracuse staff when Mac left. So the assistant route can work.

I am sure that Gross, like all Athletic Directors, has a list of potential coaches lined up. There is no doubt he has been preparing for this day

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Doug Marrone and his staff are not the only coaches who have inroads in our recruiting areas.

All I am saying is we should be thinking "better" than Shafer and Hackett (who, early in the season, people wanted fired.)

We'll just agree to disagree. I didn't want them fired last year or the beginning of this season. I was able to put my shortsightedness aside and see what was actually happening on the field and realize that long-term the offense would be successful. Based on reading recruits comments about the coaching staff, Hackett has improved a lot since he got here in that area and shafer has done a phenomenal job as well. Plus I'm leaving out Wheatley.

Just my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer in this whole thing. We could keep the staff in place and it completely falls apart over the next couple of years or we hire someone brand new and the same thing happens. Or vice versa, lol. With the possibility the school isn't as committed as it needs to be to the success of FB, do we really want to go out and hire people that might leave in a year or two and be in the same situation as Pitt - who has more university support than we do?

Agree with this.

We'll just agree to disagree. I didn't want them fired last year or the beginning of this season. I was able to put my shortsightedness aside and see what was actually happening on the field and realize that long-term the offense would be successful. Based on reading recruits comments about the coaching staff, Hackett has improved a lot since he got here in that area and shafer has done a phenomenal job as well. Plus I'm leaving out Wheatley.

Just my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer in this whole thing. We could keep the staff in place and it completely falls apart over the next couple of years or we hire someone brand new and the same thing happens. Or vice versa, lol. With the possibility the school isn't as committed as it needs to be to the success of FB, do we really want to go out and hire people that might leave in a year or two and be in the same situation as Pitt - who has more university support than we do?

Definitely no right or wrong. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

For you old guys on here, was P the first choice to replace Mac? That's a serious question I don't know the answer to.

For you old guys on here, was P the first choice to replace Mac? That's a serious question I don't know the answer to.

I believe Randy Edsall thought otherwise.

Definitely no right or wrong. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Edsall wanted it and went out kicking and screaming like a little baby when Jake appointed P.

Rutgers made their hire because they wanted to keep a decent class...it may have been short sighted because it was a poor hire. So, Dr. Gross has already evaluated Hackett and Shafer and will make his choice of one of them immediately or will continue to look. Hopefully TGD has been proactive (which I'm sure he has been) and knows what direction he's going in this. Hackett kind of reminds me of Hopkins and if he were hired I wonder if he'd get his dad to be Assistant HC if Shafer goes with Doug. So many different scenarios so little time but again, the Doc has to have been prepared for this and I think he was and is.

I agree. Shafer to me isn't the HC type and Hackett, who I prefer if the two, probably isn't ready.

Golden would be my first choice. But I'm not sure he'd be interested now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom