NFL coaching rumors: Syracuse's Doug Marrone could be a target | Syracusefan.com

NFL coaching rumors: Syracuse's Doug Marrone could be a target

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
This SB Nation report referred to the following

Adam Schein wrote on 11/13

"The executives said they would also want to interview Stanford's David Shaw, Connecticut's Paul Pasqualoni and Syracuse's Doug Marrone, because of those coaches' NFL experience. One respected executive told me he would want to sit down with Wisconsin's Bret Bielema. Before you scoff, remember that the Bucs' decision to hire Schiano was initially greeted with a relative shrug and a yawn nationally."

Peter King listed his top 5 college coaches that NFL execs will look at for HC jobs in his Monday Morning QB article today on SI.com. Marrone was number 5. Says it was based on talking to front office people the last two weeks.

The Bucs are 6-5 and now college coaches are "back in vogue".

The team that was 10-6 two years ago? What an UNPRECEDENTED turn around.

Hilarious.

Lost all credibility when he suggests Coach P as a legitimate NFL head coaching candidate.

I put the odds at Marrone leaving at 10%. What this really does is turn the screws on his current contract negotiation. Marrone is going to get paid.

I'm guessing he gets 7 years now at $1.7m per MINIMUM.

The longer SU waits, the better the chance of someone whispering in his ear.

He ain't going nowhere. That is,unless SU gives him a pathetic low-ball offer. For that matter , it's not about the money, it's the respect, he bleeds ORANGE. I'd be more concerned about Hackett going elsewhere.

The Bucs are 6-5 and now college coaches are "back in vogue".

The team that was 10-6 two years ago? What an UNPRECEDENTED turn around.

Hilarious.
lets just keep the focus on the wonderful job schiano has done and give no credit to his OC, who will be the next Giants coach.

dont want him going someplace before TC retires.

likely after a couple more SuperBowl wins.

Oh Lord

why isn't Saban mentioned. That guy has a bit of Pitino in him and i bet he gets antsy again for the NFL. I wonder if he'd jump at the right job esp if Bama wins again.

I would be incredibly disappointed in Marrone if he bailed on the program now.

why isn't Saban mentioned. That guy has a bit of Pitino in him and i bet he gets antsy again for the NFL. I wonder if he'd jump at the right job esp if Bama wins again.

Because it's so much easier to always have better talent than the other guy then doing it on even terms. Funny, as "great" as the SEC is...were their coaches on that list?

Why, alot of the fanbase bailed on him when times were tough. Just take a look at the posts here in October.
You're right about the fickle fans on this board, although I'm not sure they're any less bipolar than fans on any team's board.
Regardless, Marrone left an NFL gig and a potential path to a HC job, to return to his alma mater and rebuild the program. Since Day 1 he has preached respect and dedication to the program to his team, so I would be disappointed in him as a person if they were just words and he bailed on them just when we have turned the corner.

Why, alot of the fanbase bailed on him when times were tough. Just take a look at the posts here in October.

Look at the coaches that made it to bowl games this year and got fired anyway (Hope, O'Brien). Lots of colleges have unrealistic expectations, so I can't blame any coach in 2012 for jumping to the NFL. Job security isn't any worse there now, and it pays better.

Look at the coaches that made it to bowl games this year and got fired anyway (Hope, O'Brien). Lots of colleges have unrealistic expectations, so I can't blame any coach in 2012 for jumping to the NFL. Job security isn't any worse there now, and it pays better.
But Marrone left a secure NFL job with the Saints to come to SU.

1. How much are NFL coaches paid?
2. Has he fully rebuilt the program yet?
3. He has young kids to consider.

If SU blows the salary negotiations, then he should go. He should be paid a top 40-50 college coaching salary based on his current performance - what is that amount? That should be the target for his extension.

But Marrone left a secure NFL job with the Saints to come to SU.

"Secure NFL job" = "jumbo shrimp"

And he'd probably be suspended over the bounty thing now anyway.

:)

Why do I get the feeling you spend a good part of your day looking through the posts of October.

A 2-4 team, coming off a 5-7 season where they lost 5 straight was upset with their football coach? We have the worst fans on earth!

At the good jobs, someone would have nailed a for sale sign outside of his house and then set it on fire (the sign, not the house, well, depending on which school anyway).

Because it's so much easier to always have better talent than the other guy then doing it on even terms. Funny, as "great" as the SEC is...were their coaches on that list?

well he jumped once when he had better talent than everyone else. Hubris is a powerful drug. Don't underestimate him getting himself a plum job. Maybe Belichick someday wants to hand the reigns to his boy and move upstairs...anything is possible

well he jumped once when he had better talent than everyone else. Hubris is a powerful drug. Don't underestimate him getting himself a plum job. Maybe Belichick someday wants to hand the reigns to his boy and move upstairs...anything is possible

Ego vs the smart move and being able to be a selector at Bama and being the king...it could be an interesting internal battle for him.

Why do I get the feeling you spend a good part of your day looking through the posts of October.

A 2-4 team, coming off a 5-7 season where they lost 5 straight was upset with their football coach? We have the worst fans on earth!

At the good jobs, someone would have nailed a for sale sign outside of his house and then set it on fire (the sign, not the house, well, depending on which school anyway).

What difference does it make to you if I happened to take a stroll down memory lane, it's hilarious. It was obvious that the team was better than it had been in a long time, and the record at that time was more a product of a series of some really bad luck/breaks than how it measured up to the teams it had played to that point.

What difference does it make to you if I happened to take a stroll down memory lane, it's hilarious.

It really doesn't make a difference. Just an observation. I'm sure I've had several "did I really say that" posts back then. I'm more of the told ya wrong, not told ya so types anyway.

I bet it doesn't match reading the game threads for comeback wins.

What difference does it make to you if I happened to take a stroll down memory lane, it's hilarious.

Some of it may be hilarious. I thought the "FIRE HACKETT" stuff was always silly.

Some of it was legitimate. I know you scoff at that because we went 7-5 and all. By the way, that's actually a lower win total than many folks predicted, even knowing Pugh would be out a while, but somehow that's not being brought up in this game of self-congratulations.

Personally I find it funny how many of the arguments as to why we were 2-4, namely the old saw about how everyone we played was soooo much more talented than us and we can't hope to compete for another couple years, have totally vanished. Now apparently our great coaching has overcome that. Or something. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom