NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV

TNF is on the NFL Network tonight. Jacksonville-Tennessee.
TNF is killing MNF. The games suck and people can't watch prime time football 3 nights a week and still have lives.
Also TNF sucks because every team has to play at least 1 time on it. There are a lot of bad teams I don't want to watch on prime time. MNF at least doesn't have to have bad teams on unless the schedule makers did a bad job.
Thursday night should be a college.night not a full pro schedule night.

If the NFL wants to play on Thursday night they should add a second bye week for every team and the 2 teams playing on TNF would be coming off a bye. Plus another bye week would help player safety which the NFL claims they care about.
you missed the joke about tonights game...

if this crappy game was buried on sunday, id never see it anyway. so having it on tonight really is fine with me.

jax has been to a couple of AFC Champ games, ten has been to the show, you cant bury a team in april...on any given sunday...

the 2nd buy works, the NFL didnt know how to work the schedule the last time for tv, but i was ok with it from a fans view.

add 2 games too.

18 games baby, 18 games...

its the Sunday Night game that I can do without.

I only like it when the Giants are playing in it.

I like having pro football on Thursday (I wonder why there is not 1 on tonight though) and Monday Night will always be cool, but after a full day of game watching, im usually good.

Id rather watch post game shlit for a few hours and get caught up on everything for real and of course watch the Walking Dead or whatever else is the hot show...ie the X-Files back in the day always took precedent.

Yeah, having a game on Sunday night basically asks you to watch 12 hours of football. That's too much for all but the most hard-core gamblers or young single guys. Thursday night games usually blow. They should have stuck with MNF and left it at that.

Saw a recent poll where 40% of the respondents stated they're watching less football because of the anthem protests. Not only is CK hurting his own squad but he's done a number on the league, too.

Yeah, having a game on Sunday night basically asks you to watch 12 hours of football. That's too much for all but the most hard-core gamblers or young single guys. Thursday night games usually blow. They should have stuck with MNF and left it at that.
Just look at this week for example.

Let's drop tonight's game, give the pokes and iggs last Week off, and move their game from this Sunday to tonight.

Boom, everyone is happy.

its the Sunday Night game that I can do without.

I only like it when the Giants are playing in it.

I like having pro football on Thursday (I wonder why there is not 1 on tonight though) and Monday Night will always be cool, but after a full day of game watching, im usually good.

Id rather watch post game shlit for a few hours and get caught up on everything for real and of course watch the Walking Dead or whatever else is the hot show...ie the X-Files back in the day always took precedent.

All we need is to have the Cowboys put a good whipping on the Giants and the number of fans watching will surge. America's team is the answer.

All we need is to have the Cowboys put a good whipping on the Giants and the number of fans watching will surge. America's team is the answer.

Sunday night's game is going to do a big rating.

Every game is basically on a work night/work day. I know I am not the only one who saves their work for Sunday...

Sunday night's game is going to do a big rating.
It could/should, but it will also be up against game 5 of the highest rated World Series in years.

Back in the day, the NFL wouldn't play on the Sunday of what used to be game 2 out of respect, but would gamble and put one on up against a game 7. Figuring that most years, that conflict won't occur.

The NFL will be glad to put Sept-Oct in he rearview mirror.

Poorly worded on my part but I was trying to make the same point. Of those watching less, 40% attribute it to the anthem. That's a big #.

I call bs on that anyway. Are there a percentage that were diehard football fans that got fed up and stopped watching because of it? Probably. But the majority of those people who stopped watching were most likely casual fans anyway, and were looking for an excuse to stop watching.

I call bs on that anyway. Are there a percentage that were diehard football fans that got fed up and stopped watching because of it? Probably. But the majority of those people who stopped watching were most likely casual fans anyway, and were looking for an excuse to stop watching.

Why is it BS? They watched in the past, they don't now.

I think people are getting tired of the product. If you're not a gambler or fantasy football addict, the games are so drab. The rosters are younger and younger, there is less continuity from year to year, and the whole thing is set up so that anybody can win. Dynasties are what build fan bases. Too many faceless teams out there playing 21-14 games that take 3 1/2 hours to get too excited about.

It's bs for the reason that I just said it's bs. Most fans who used to watch the NFL and don't watch it now did not suddenly dislike the NFL because of the anthem protests. I would say the overwhelming majority of those folks were already well on their way out the door. Maybe the protests pushed them out completely, but let's not pretend like NFL diehards suddenly stopped watching games because of anthem protests.

There are dynasties. The NFL claims it's about parity but it comes down to this do you have an elite QB or an elite D.
New England has turned the regular season into a 16 game preseason they are winning 12 games 6 years in a row now and have made the last 5 AFC title games.
Green Bay the same with Rodgers and Seattle with Wilson.
Elite QBs make the playoffs every year.
New England
Denver
Cincinnati
Have made the playoffs the last 5 years.
Then Pitrsburgh, Baltimore, Indy/Houston have been it the last 5 years.
That has left only at-large for the other teams.

The league is overstuffed now on TV. The London 9:3o games, Sunday regular, Sunday nite, Monday nite, Thursday nite is too much.

The league needs new QBs to develop. Luck, Newton, Wilson are developed.
Now Mariota, Bortles, Winston, Wentz, Prescott are the next Gen. None of these guys are just watch yet.

It's bs for the reason that I just said it's bs. Most fans who used to watch the NFL and don't watch it now did not suddenly dislike the NFL because of the anthem protests. I would say the overwhelming majority of those folks were already well on their way out the door. Maybe the protests pushed them out completely, but let's not pretend like NFL diehards suddenly stopped watching games because of anthem protests.

Who is pretending? Yeah they've lost some marginal fans. Never said they lost the diehards.

I think people are getting tired of the product. If you're not a gambler or fantasy football addict, the games are so drab. The rosters are younger and younger, there is less continuity from year to year, and the whole thing is set up so that anybody can win. Dynasties are what build fan bases. Too many faceless teams out there playing 21-14 games that take 3 1/2 hours to get too excited about.

I would def agree with that. The anthem is just one more issue for some folks. Not a deal breaker in and of itself for most.

I would def agree with that. The anthem is just one more issue for some folks. Not a deal breaker in and of itself for most.

Which is essentially the point that I am trying to make.

It could/should, but it will also be up against game 5 of the highest rated World Series in years.

Back in the day, the NFL wouldn't play on the Sunday of what used to be game 2 out of respect, but would gamble and put one on up against a game 7. Figuring that most years, that conflict won't occur.

The NFL will be glad to put Sept-Oct in he rearview mirror.

It should be very interesting, esp if its 2-2 going into Sunday. You have the Cubs in the ws, and Two of the bigger markets in the Nfl playing. I will be very interesting to see the ratings on Monday.

When rookie quarterback Dak Prescott led the Dallas Cowboys over the Philadelphia Eagles with his bolt of a touchdown pass to Jason Witten in overtime late Sunday night, it was clear how much animation the league has been missing. But even that terrific game, which had high divisional stakes and featured a bright new star, was crushed in the ratings by Game 5 of the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians. It’s the first time since 2011 that a Series game beat “Sunday Night Football.”

The NFL is becoming more disturbing than appealing, and TV viewers are tuning out

When rookie quarterback Dak Prescott led the Dallas Cowboys over the Philadelphia Eagles with his bolt of a touchdown pass to Jason Witten in overtime late Sunday night, it was clear how much animation the league has been missing. But even that terrific game, which had high divisional stakes and featured a bright new star, was crushed in the ratings by Game 5 of the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians. It’s the first time since 2011 that a Series game beat “Sunday Night Football.”

The NFL is becoming more disturbing than appealing, and TV viewers are tuning out
I don't watch any games aside from ones involving the Bills.

Figure out how to not have 3 1/2 hours of commercials, inconsistent officiating and players having their long-term well being destroyed and maybe I'll tune back in.

The NFL's non-reaction over the Jarvis Landry hit on Aaron Williams almost made me walk away completely.

THIS world series is compelling. This is the first World Series I've watched that didn't involve the Yankees in a long, long time.

I watched baseball over Clemson/FSU on Saturday. I watched baseball over Cowboys/Eagles last night.

Any other teams and there is no way I do that. Any other teams, other than the Yankees, and baseball ends up behind Wisky/Nebraska and Auburn/Ole Miss on Saturday...when something is your 4th flick, you aren't going there...

I do have to say that, between Thursday night college and pro, Friday night college, Saturday college and Sunday Pro, I'm pretty tapped out by Sunday night...

Unless the Giants are playing or there is some really compelling match up that is must-see TV, I just have Red Zone on all day on Sunday...

THIS world series is compelling. This is the first World Series I've watched that didn't involve the Yankees in a long, long time.

I watched baseball over Clemson/FSU on Saturday. I watched baseball over Cowboys/Eagles last night.

Any other teams and there is no way I do that. Any other teams, other than the Yankees, and baseball ends up behind Wisky/Nebraska and Auburn/Ole Miss on Saturday...when something is your 4th flick, you aren't going there...

I do have to say that, between Thursday night college and pro, Friday night college, Saturday college and Sunday Pro, I'm pretty tapped out by Sunday night...

Unless the Giants are playing or there is some really compelling match up that is must-see TV, I just have Red Zone on all day on Sunday...
Good post.

Sunday night needs to go.

Football is a drinking sport.

Thursday Night?!? Have a few beers, maybe go out.

Monday Night?? Relax, have a couple, go to bed with the game on. If it's good, your team is on or you got $$$ floating...stay up.

Sunday?? I've been drinking since 11, 8 if the Giants are home at 1, to hell with Sunday Night ball.

gotta sleep.

And with the RedZone, people no longer skip a game and wait for the Night one to catch up.

Bears-Vikes. A few years back, I'd be all over it. Now, meh ...

Thursday night ball is too much, what with the Sunday night & MNF games. Something's gotta give.

Bears-Vikes. A few years back, I'd be all over it. Now, meh ...

Thursday night ball is too much, what with the Sunday night & MNF games. Something's gotta give.

I think they might have to ditch the Sunday night game, and make Monday night football the marquis matchup.