NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

Jerry has gone too long without making one of his stars the highest paid at their position.

Maybe there's something in the water in Frisco because Dallas has managed their cap better in the last 5-7 seasons than they did in the previous 15. A big part of that was paying Prescott peanuts, and releasing Dez, Romo and Ware.

Dak's best attribute is his durability so I fully expect Jerry to sign him for $180M over 6 years.

It'll paralyze their ability to rebuild the left side of the offensive line as Smith, Martin and Frederick (if he can actually play) continue to age and miss games.

Best thing I can hope for is that Jerry only overpays Dak & Amari and let's Zeke sit. How many times have you seen the RB who held out through training camp have their worst season or get injured.

Jerry has gone too long without making one of his stars the highest paid at their position.

Maybe there's something in the water in Frisco because Dallas has managed their cap better in the last 5-7 seasons than they did in the previous 15. A big part of that was paying Prescott peanuts, and releasing Dez, Romo and Ware.

Dak's best attribute is his durability so I fully expect Jerry to sign him for $180M over 6 years.

It'll paralyze their ability to rebuild the left side of the offensive line as Smith, Martin and Frederick (if he can actually play) continue to age and miss games.

Best thing I can hope for is that Jerry only overpays Dak & Amari and let's Zeke sit. How many times have you seen the RB who held out through training camp have their worst season or get injured.
Cowboys first 4 games are really soft until they get to New Orleans.
Jerry doesn’t need to pay Zeke but like Emmitt Smith in 1993 he needs the team to suck out of the gate.
Emmitt held out in 1993 and then the team lost week 1 and then lost to the Cardinals in the desert and Jerry had to overpay Emmitt Smith.

Zeke is better at his position than Dak is at his.
If the Cowboys gave Dak the contract Carson Wentz plus one dollar they would get a deal done.
While I wouldn’t give him that deal the Cowboys seem to be inclined to pay Dak but not overpay him.

Zeke’s deal is the problem.

Their whole situation is screwed up because RBs have no value leaguewide but in this case they have the game manager QB who is dependent on an elite run game and who based on positional value is looking at making double what the actual elite player is going to get. Hate the Cowboys but that's a pretty tough spot to be in. Either way it's going to take $45-48m/year to get them both done. Then Amari coming after that. Zeke is the only actual elite player of the 3 and is going to make the least by a significant margin.

Cowboys first 4 games are really soft until they get to New Orleans.
Jerry doesn’t need to pay Zeke but like Emmitt Smith in 1993 he needs the team to suck out of the gate.
Emmitt held out in 1993 and then the team lost week 1 and then lost to the Cardinals in the desert and Jerry had to overpay Emmitt Smith.

Zeke is better at his position than Dak is at his.
If the Cowboys gave Dak the contract Carson Wentz plus one dollar they would get a deal done.
While I wouldn’t give him that deal the Cowboys seem to be inclined to pay Dak but not overpay him.

Zeke’s deal is the problem.

Emmitt Smith 1993 vs Zeke 2019 is a bad comparison for many reasons (i.e. pre-salary cap NFL dynasty).

Troy Aikman > Dak Prescott
Michael Irvin / Alvin Harper > Amari Cooper / Michael Gallup / Tavon Austin
Tuinei/Newton/Stepnoski/Erik Williams > Tyron Smith/Martin/Frederick/Collins
Novacek = Witten
1993 Defense > 2019 Defense

Cowboys already picked up Zeke's option on his original contract (through 2020) so farq him.

Dak getting overpaid is an inevitability as he's a FA after this year.

Edit - Amari hasn't been a typical diva #1 WR (like Dez, OBJ, Brown, T.O.) so he's worth it.

I can't see Jerry setting the precedent that he'll reward a player for sitting while under contract. Jerry's a dipstick, but I don't see him doing that.

Emmitt Smith 1993 vs Zeke 2019 is a bad comparison for many reasons (i.e. pre-salary cap NFL dynasty).

Novacek = Witten

Cowboys already picked up Zeke's option on his original contract (through 2020) so farq him.

Dallas with Zeke for 16 games is Super Bowl quality good.
I honestly wouldn’t give Dak the Wentz contract. They could franchise him after the year and draft a QB in the next draft for the year after.
If they don’t pay Dak then this year and next year is basically a 2 year 36 million dollar deal.

Zeke is the key to the Dallas offense.
Plus it’s not just Zeke/Dak//Cooper who need to get paid Jaylen Smith will be up after next year and will get paid top of the market.

If Dak wants top 5 QB money let him go the market. He won’t get it. That is why his agent and him are negotiating smartly. A deal that is good for both sides is right there and his team is shooting for the moon.

Dallas with Zeke for 16 games is Super Bowl quality good.
I honestly wouldn’t give Dak the Wentz contract. They could franchise him after the year and draft a QB in the next draft for the year after.
If they don’t pay Dak then this year and next year is basically a 2 year 36 million dollar deal.

Zeke is the key to the Dallas offense.
Plus it’s not just Zeke/Dak//Cooper who need to get paid Jaylen Smith will be up after next year and will get paid top of the market.

If Dak wants top 5 QB money let him go the market. He won’t get it. That is why his agent and him are negotiating smartly. A deal that is good for both sides is right there and his team is shooting for the moon.

I agree that Dak shouldn't be paid $30M/year.

But I've seen this movie before...

I will be shocked if Dak doesn't get $180/6.

I would actually be impressed as it would make me wonder A.) Is Stephen Jones actually making the decision? (highly unlikely) and B.) Could he be wiser than his father (equally unlikely)?

I agree with your comments about keeping younger guys (Smith, LVE, etc.). This is exactly how they're trying to convince Dak that $30 is too high.

Jerry's had back to back QBs that he found on the cheap (Romo - undrafted FA, Dak - 4th rounder). It may embolden him to let Dak walk and roll the dice but I doubt it.

I agree that Dak shouldn't be paid $30M/year.

But I've seen this movie before...

I will be shocked if Dak doesn't get $180/6.

I would actually be impressed as it would make me wonder A.) Is Stephen Jones actually making the decision? (highly unlikely) and B.) Could he be wiser than his father (equally unlikely)?

I agree with your comments about keeping younger guys (Smith, LVE, etc.). This is exactly how they're trying to convince Dak that $30 is too high.

Jerry's had back to back QBs that he found on the cheap (Romo - undrafted FA, Dak - 4th rounder). It may embolden him to let Dak walk and roll the dice but I doubt it.

He didn't really find Dak. His trade up for Paxton Lynch failed and then Connor Cook got scooped up 1 pick before they were up. He just fell into their lap by accident.

He didn't really find Dak. His trade up for Paxton Lynch failed and then Connor Cook got scooped up 1 pick before they were up. He just fell into their lap by accident.

He was extremely lucky to get both Romo as an UFA and Dak in the 4th round compared to many other franchises peeing away 1st-3rd round picks on bust after bust.

Jerry's ego probably prevents him from seeing those as luck and that could make him consider letting Dak go.

I doubt it though. Jerry will overpay Dak.

Especially when he's reminded of the wilderness he went through with Quincy Carter, Vinny INT, the Drews (Bledsoe & Henson), Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner and Anthony Wright.

Novacek = Witten

Edit - Amari hasn't been a typical diva #1 WR (like Dez, OBJ, Brown, T.O.) so he's worth it.

I can't see Jerry setting the precedent that he'll reward a player for sitting while under contract. Jerry's a dipstick, but I don't see him doing that.

If Dak goes the FA route I don't think the demand for him will be all that overwhelming.

If Dak goes the FA route I don't think the demand for him will be all that overwhelming.

FA QB signings are usually overpaid whether they’re a quality backup getting a shot at a new team or a top 15 guy looking for a fresh start.

We’ll never know about Dak because Jerry will overpay him rather than let him test free agency.

He’s a bigger priority than Zeke because this is the final year of his contract.

Friday night news dump
Patriots Josh Gordon reinstated. If Tyreke Hill can beat children I guess smoking weed was given leniency which is good.
ECICKTeWsAA-Zep

Friday night news dump
Patriots Josh Gordon reinstated. If Tyreke Hill can beat children I guess smoking weed was given leniency which is good.
ECICKTeWsAA-Zep
You must be happy that Golden Tate tried to make babies and got 4 games.

Really? Josh McCown is the best you could find? Really????

QB Josh McCown joins Eagles, ends retirement

Right now the Eagles have one QB to play in the pre-season and that's a rookie, Clayton Thorsen. They're not playing Wentz in these games. The back-up (Nate Sudfeld) will be back around Week 3, week 4 at the latest. This is a stop-gap measure. McCown may not be great but he's very experienced and is a major upgrade over Thorsen. Look at some of the back-ups on various NFL teams.There aren't a lot of quality QBs available. Obviously the plan is that McCown never sees the field unless it's garbage time in a blowout.

Interesting

I'm curious to see how Brees plays this season. Down the stretch it became very apparent he had lost something off his fastball. I know he is capable of making up for that with his other skills but if his arm strength erodes further then that could be a serious problem.

I'm curious to see how Brees plays this season. Down the stretch it became very apparent he had lost something off his fastball. I know he is capable of making up for that with his other skills but if his arm strength erodes further then that could be a serious problem.
If Brees were in Boston the local media would say he sucks and is a choker who only plays well indoors.

Brees is clearly not taking drugs because the seasons do wear him down. Playing indoors protects Brees arm.
The Saints would be smart if they could find some weeks to rest Brees for the end of the season as their backup Teddy Bridgewater is probably a top 5 backup QB.

NFC is loaded this year between
Dallas/Philly/Green Bay/Minnesota/Chicago/New Orleans/ Atlanta/ Carolina/ Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle.

Half of those won’t make the playoffs.

Whereas in the AFC
New England/ Kansas City/ LA Chargers are in and it’s Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Houston/Indianapolis/Jacksonville fighting for 3 spots and teams like Buffalo/NY Jets a year away.

Right now the Eagles have one QB to play in the pre-season and that's a rookie, Clayton Thorsen. They're not playing Wentz in these games. The back-up (Nate Sudfeld) will be back around Week 3, week 4 at the latest. This is a stop-gap measure. McCown may not be great but he's very experienced and is a major upgrade over Thorsen. Look at some of the back-ups on various NFL teams.There aren't a lot of quality QBs available. Obviously the plan is that McCown never sees the field unless it's garbage time in a blowout.

My hot take...I think Mccown is better than Sudfeld anyway.

My hot take...I think Mccown is better than Sudfeld anyway.

Very well could be. The Eagles seem to like Sudfeld but I'm not sold either. I'm looking for Wentz to have a monster year. I see these hot takers with their top ten QB lists and Wentz is often left out. They're gonna be singin' a different tune a few months from now.

Very well could be. The Eagles seem to like Sudfeld but I'm not sold either. I'm looking for Wentz to have a monster year. I see these hot takers with their top ten QB lists and Wentz is often left out. They're gonna be singin' a different tune a few months from now.

Just stay healthy for the love of God

NO NO NO NO NO NO

ONLY 1 LEGENDARY QB HAS LOST IT!!!

AND WE ARE GOING TO WATCH HIM THROW FOR 4200+ yds 25+ TDs and declare that he blows because the Giants only won 10
Games.

Mr INT Brees is a God.

Only 1 Super Bowl, but a God.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

ONLY 1 LEGENDARY QB HAS LOST IT!!!

AND WE ARE GOING TO WATCH HIM THROW FOR 4200+ yds 25+ TDs and declare that he blows because the Giants only won 10
Games.

Mr INT Brees is a God.

Only 1 Super Bowl, but a God.

Hope springs eternal. 6-10 and on the bench by Halloween.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom