NFLPA Asking NFL to get rid of Field Turf at all Stadiums | Syracusefan.com

NFLPA Asking NFL to get rid of Field Turf at all Stadiums

Stern

All American
I found this article interesting that the players union wants every NFL stadium to be a natural grass field. Players feel the field turf is the cause of increased injuries over a period of time. The NFL is a league that does put an emphasis on player safety so I wouldn't be shocked to see them do this over the next few years.

I think much of this is players using the wrong cleats for many of these games.. they go with cleats that dig better and create great cutting but that also means less give.. just go with sneakers then.

I think they have forgotten what many of those fields up north end up like when they get frozen, but they work out well if they are managed well and not over used.

Think they heat the ground up north when its cold.

This means no HS games can be played in these stadiums.

Obviously Oakland no longer has football and baseball are Atlanta and New England the only MLS/NFL combos?

Think they heat the ground up north when its cold.

This means no HS games can be played in these stadiums.

Obviously Oakland no longer has football and baseball are Atlanta and New England the only MLS/NFL combos?
Seattle

lots of indoor stadiums are doing grass now.. but you have ahard time doing after after its built. its needs to be designed into the building without a huge expense.. Didnt the meadowlands do a tray concept for soccer years ago?

I found this article interesting that the players union wants every NFL stadium to be a natural grass field. Players feel the field turf is the cause of increased injuries over a period of time. The NFL is a league that does put an emphasis on player safety so I wouldn't be shocked to see them do this over the next few years.

The players are right.

And high schools should all go natural grass.

Kids should not play on artificial turf.

lots of indoor stadiums are doing grass now.. but you have ahard time doing after after its built. its needs to be designed into the building without a huge expense.. Didnt the meadowlands do a tray concept for soccer years ago?
Are they fixed roof stadiums or retractable roofs? I didn't know any fixed roof stadiums had natural grass.

Last edited:
And high schools should all go natural grass.

Kids should not play on artificial turf.
Yeah, I never understood why high schools started doing it. It makes sense in indoor stadiums or in northern NFL stadiums where they play into January and the fields get torn up for the late season and playoffs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never understood why high schools started doing it. It makes sense in indoor stadiums or in NFL northern stadiums where they play into January and the fields get torn up for the late season and playoffs.
High Schools did it for 2 reasons...

1) They didn't have to pay for it. Pepsi and Coke got into high schools some 10-15 years ago after decades of schools keeping their machines out and not promoting sugar water. And Pepsi and Coke would pay high schools and the district big $$$ to put their soda machines in and in and give these school districts and high schools big money to do so and originally that foot the bill for the fancy field turf and other upgrades these schools needed badly.

2) Maintenance. It is cheaper to maintain field turf than it is real grass.

High Schools did it for 2 reasons...

1) They didn't have to pay for it. Pepsi and Coke got into high schools some 10-15 years ago after decades of schools keeping their machines out and not promoting sugar water. And Pepsi and Coke would pay high schools and the district big $$$ to put their soda machines in and in and give these school districts and high schools big money to do so and originally that foot the bill for the fancy field turf and other upgrades these schools needed badly.

2) Maintenance. It is cheaper to maintain field turf than it is real grass.
No. 1 is a pretty universal statement. I don't think that's the case everywhere. I know one of the Haslems funded it for a bunch of schools in Knoxville.

I guess I can understand No. 2. except I was under the impression most schools just kept it mowed. They didn't put nearly is much effort/money into them as colleges and pros.

I think they have forgotten what many of those fields up north end up like when they get frozen, but they work out well if they are managed well and not over used.

Natural grass is the best surface without question.

But there is reality that to pay for stadiums that cost billions, they need to be used a lot. Amd a lot of usage = tough to maintain good grass conditions.

Unless the NFL made up a sponsorship where instead of money the company subsidized the cost to take care of all 30 NFL Stadiums, great!

How do you do natural grass in any of the indoor stadiums that don't have retractable roofs?
Talk to any stoner who has been growing weed indoors for years...lol. They will tell ya how to grow grass indoors.

Talk to any stoner who has been growing weed indoors for years...lol. They will tell ya how to grow grass indoors.
It would require lighting that would be equivalent to sunlight at ground level for at least 8 hrs a day. Power usage and cost would be a factor.