NHL Offseason Thread | Syracusefan.com

NHL Offseason Thread

Day2

Living Legend
Expansion draft protection deadline about an hour away…

1626547991467.jpeg

They (Seattle) areeee baddd yikes lol
They chose to weaponize their cap space instead of taking big contracts of players on the decline. Makes sense to me. Not a lot of point of putting together a team of Giordano, Price, Tarasenko, JVR, etc and having a bunch of untradeable contracts. With the flat cap there are huge benefits available to having a bunch of cap space.

They chose to weaponize their cap space instead of taking big contracts of players on the decline. Makes sense to me. Not a lot of point of putting together a team of Giordano, Price, Tarasenko, JVR, etc and having a bunch of untradeable contracts. With the flat cap there are huge benefits available to having a bunch of cap space.

Have to see if there were any side deals made. Having a ton of cap space is going to be valuable this year, but some of their choices were pretty questionable without getting picks IMO.

This is true but they didn’t exactly take a lot of players they could flip really for picks either. Idk why they passed on a couple pieces they could flip for a decent price such as Domi even JVR.

but yeah having that cap will be good for them.

This is true but they didn’t exactly take a lot of players they could flip really for picks either. Idk why they passed on a couple pieces they could flip for a decent price such as Domi even JVR.

but yeah having that cap will be good for them.
I'm not sure that Domi even has positive trade value right now. He's had 2 bad seasons in a row and making $5.3m next 2 seasons. Think he can only be traded for another bad contract at this point. Same with JVR at 32 and making $7m a year for the next 2. I suppose they could easily get assets for either or the Tarasenko types if they were willing to retain salary as part of it but that's not a great way to start things off either. I think they are going to be solid in goal, pretty darn good on defense and lacking a lot up front. The one big surprise to me was not taking Dylan DeMelo but I guess they loaded up on defense as it was but that was kind of a shocker. Thought he was arguably the biggest no brainer in the whole draft.

Reigning Vezina winner traded for....nothing. Stupid flat cap is making things such a mess with team building.

they want to fix a problem with the cap.. make every position have a max value, then have a computer system that the league uses to assess value like WAR. every team pays into it and anything over a certain value the player earns money but not from the team cap. it would remove bad contracts as when a player sucks it up he gets no money. so in essence its value based salary on top of play salary..

if the reward for money in the WAR used things that are team based stats it wouldnt be a purely self centered goal..

teams could reward plays X he could earn Y and if he stayed with the team longer maybe the X goes up so value for staying with an organization is there for the fans. a player plays poorly the team isnt on the big hook.

not perfect system but it does reward the fans more and it cuts down on the dumb contracts.

they want to fix a problem with the cap.. make every position have a max value, then have a computer system that the league uses to assess value like WAR. every team pays into it and anything over a certain value the player earns money but not from the team cap. it would remove bad contracts as when a player sucks it up he gets no money. so in essence its value based salary on top of play salary..

if the reward for money in the WAR used things that are team based stats it wouldnt be a purely self centered goal..

teams could reward plays X he could earn Y and if he stayed with the team longer maybe the X goes up so value for staying with an organization is there for the fans. a player plays poorly the team isnt on the big hook.

not perfect system but it does reward the fans more and it cuts down on the dumb contracts.
They just need to get rid of the 7 and 8 year contracts all together. Those things are always terrible. The NBA was able to knock them down to 4 and 5 and it's way better. The Sabres being stuck with Skinner and Okposo making 15m a year because they became terrible overnight makes it almost impossible for them to function. Wish the teams were able to stop giving them out themselves but they can't because if they don't, someone else will.

They just need to get rid of the 7 and 8 year contracts all together. Those things are always terrible. The NBA was able to knock them down to 4 and 5 and it's way better. The Sabres being stuck with Skinner and Okposo making 15m a year because they became terrible overnight makes it almost impossible for them to function. Wish the teams were able to stop giving them out themselves but they can't because if they don't, someone else will.
Wonder if an Eichel deal gets done. Should be a big Haul.

Wonder if an Eichel deal gets done. Should be a big Haul.
I hope so. Gotta be a 1st, top prospect and young pro. They are going to be so bad next year. Already decided it will be my 1st year in 8 years since I left Blo where I'm not gonna waste my money on Center Ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom