Nice article on Jeremi Grant... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nice article on Jeremi Grant...

Yeah, my opinion on Grant at the time was that it was a huge gamble moving on to the league as a second rounder without a jump shot. I wasn't too worried about him carving out a career for a while because he was a freak athletically and was a big, long guy. What I was surprised about was that so many people thought it would be crazy to return and work on his offensive game. To me, I thought that might have given him a good opportunity to climb into the lottery and not have to spend so much time standing in the corner ignored offensively.

Happily, I was wrong. I don't feel like I was that crazy but clearly he had confidence in his abilities and took the proper path. Good for him!

Getting picked by maybe the one team in the league that would give him minutes immediately was huge for him. He shot 35% from the field as a rookie. But they played him anyway.

I was happy Ennis got out when he did. He stays his value plummets like Chris Thomas. Tyler was slow with a suspect jump shot. Staying longer doesn't change that and further exposes him and the "potential" is gone. He got enough exposure to make some teams believe. Most folks that make the NBA don't last more than 2-3 years. At least he got the guaranteed money before the league moved on from him.

If he develops a 3 point shot he sits on NBA benches for 15 years. And 15 years ago he has a 10 year NBA career. But was never gonna be a star clear case of take the money and run.

We were ineligible anyways for the NCAAT the next year.

If he develops a 3 point shot he sits on NBA benches for 15 years. And 15 years ago he has a 10 year NBA career. But was never gonna be a star clear case of take the money and run.

Tyler could’ve been a borderline starter if he could shoot the 3 better. He ran the pick and roll as well as anybody.

Honestly, if he came back for a year, he'd have been All ACC and a lottery pick, so there's that. He's one of those guys who WOULD have probably gotten better in his next year with us

Uh, no.

Being able to devote 100% of your time, effort, and resources to playing hoops at the Pro level, with and against Pros -

rather than having to play full-time student, having a hard cap on # of hours of official practice, and playing against mostly non-Pro caliber talent -
is how you improve the most.

So, while I agree that he would likely have gotten better had he stayed -
It wouldn’t be as much as he did as a Pro.

Honestly, if he came back for a year, he'd have been All ACC and a lottery pick, so there's that. He's one of those guys who WOULD have probably gotten better in his next year with us

Agreed, I think Grant would’ve had a monster year as a junior and with his tools/athleticism he’s a guy where the increased production and expanded game actually could’ve shot him up the draft boards.

But it all worked out for him. He got picked by a team that gave him PT, and he put the work in and got a lot better.

Uh, no.

Being able to devote 100% of your time, effort, and resources to playing hoops at the Pro level, with and against Pros -

rather than having to play full-time student, having a hard cap on # of hours of official practice, and playing against mostly non-Pro caliber talent -
is how you improve the most.

So, while I agree that he would likely have gotten better had he stayed -
It wouldn’t be as much as he did as a Pro.

Yes, I get that. Full-time trainers and not going to school mean you can work more on your game.

My point is, if he went at 6 instead of 18 in the draft, the first contract would have been significantly better; his endorsement opportunities would have been better, etc. He was set to be a college star. There is value in that. It shouldn't be such a rush to start getting paid. The quality of the contract, how high is your "star value", are you physically mature enough, mentally mature enough. These are all factors that should hopefully go into someone's decision.

Yeah, my opinion on Grant at the time was that it was a huge gamble moving on to the league as a second rounder without a jump shot. I wasn't too worried about him carving out a career for a while because he was a freak athletically and was a big, long guy. What I was surprised about was that so many people thought it would be crazy to return and work on his offensive game. To me, I thought that might have given him a good opportunity to climb into the lottery and not have to spend so much time standing in the corner ignored offensively.

Happily, I was wrong. I don't feel like I was that crazy but clearly he had confidence in his abilities and took the proper path. Good for him!

Yes the framework was there next season for Grant to the unquestioned star at forward that JB would run all the offense through. Happy for Jerami that he took the bird in hand and it worked out for him.

and the chances of him doing that go way up by being in the league vs. college

The only one since the one and done era IMHO

The only one since the one and done era IMHO

Probably. Dion would have been a star if he came back for another year, but the team had been so good that there was little left for him to accomplish. If you are the 6th man and yet still go 6th in the draft, you aren't going to do better than that. Otherwise, I agree.

Probably. Dion would have been a star if he came back for another year, but the team had been so good that there was little left for him to accomplish. If you are the 6th man and yet still go 6th in the draft, you aren't going to do better than that. Otherwise, I agree.
Maybe he could’ve gone 4th overall had he stayed another year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom