Nielsen Says Most Rabid College Football Fans in Northeast Are in CNY and Western PA | Syracusefan.com

Nielsen Says Most Rabid College Football Fans in Northeast Are in CNY and Western PA

It is interesting how relatively few college football fans there are in West Virginia. WVU fans talk a lot about how their football culture mirrors that of Texas and Oklahoma, but based on the Nielson statistics they look more like Kansas.

I have results on Nascar on pg 19 ?? OK its 28 for me.

Last edited:
interesting the viewership of playoff baseball still better than soccer and thats over a lot more games.

Should have been page 29. Typo. Sorry dude!

This is how much I trust you. I looked and saw the NASCAR info on page 19 and thought to myself, well if Tom says it's there, I'll assume he's right and I'm losing it.

That being said, well done Central New York. Doesn't look like leaving all those tvs on is helping our friends in New Jersey too much.

Should have been page 29. Typo. Sorry dude!
NO Problem I just assumed I was doing something wrong because that is usually the case.

It is interesting how relatively few college football fans there are in West Virginia. WVU fans talk a lot about how their football culture mirrors that of Texas and Oklahoma, but based on the Nielson statistics they look more like Kansas.

I guess you have to actually have TV's to be able to watch football. couchburn

ACC is the clear leader in BB. And the SEC, B1G lead in FB ... with ND strangely listed in its own category. I understand ND's popular, but in terms of the conference numbers, I'm wondering if the totals would change significantly if ND's ratings were added to the ACC. Or at least 5/12th's of their ratings were added to the ACC.

ACC - by far the highest College Hoops viewership, 3rd in football.

"Wine is the most popular alcoholic beverage among Duke fans"

Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-16.gif

Hard to get decent reception in the hollows

ACC is the clear leader in BB. And the SEC, B1G lead in FB ... with ND strangely listed in its own category. I understand ND's popular, but in terms of the conference numbers, I'm wondering if the totals would change significantly if ND's ratings were added to the ACC. Or at least 5/12th's of their ratings were added to the ACC.

I guess they are listed on their own because they have their own football contract..

I guess they are listed on their own because they have their own football contract..
Yes, with NBC. But they're still in the ACC ... totally in BB and significantly in FB. I think they're mandated to play at least 5 FB games IC. So I'd like to see a report that reflects these facts, rather than separating them entirely .. which isn't reality.

10 years from now and soccer will be miles ahead of baseball. Because true Americans realize that soccer is a great sport.
While I agree that soccer is gaining drastically, it has a finite ceiling. Too many people in this country do not want to watch two teams play for 90 minutes with no score and the blatant flopping doesn't help.

While I agree that soccer is gaining drastically, it has a finite ceiling. Too many people in this country do not want to watch two teams play for 90 minutes with no score and the blatant flopping doesn't help.
With football's concussion issues, people not wanting to sit through 5 hours of baseball, soccer will continue to take advantage. It's the biggest youth sport in the country, and the premier league is already massively popular. FS1 is now airing the German Bundesliga, and BeinSport is airing La Liga and Ligue 1. Compared to just 5 years ago, this is immense.

While teams might play for 90 minutes with no score, at least it's only a 2 hour time commitment compared to any other sport. Season tickets are extremely affordable as well. There's no ceiling for the biggest sport in the world.

With football's concussion issues, people not wanting to sit through 5 hours of baseball, soccer will continue to take advantage. It's the biggest youth sport in the country, and the premier league is already massively popular. FS1 is now airing the German Bundesliga, and BeinSport is airing La Liga and Ligue 1. Compared to just 5 years ago, this is immense.

While teams might play for 90 minutes with no score, at least it's only a 2 hour time commitment compared to any other sport. Season tickets are extremely affordable as well. There's no ceiling for the biggest sport in the world.

Interest in soccer had grown a ton in the U.S. since the '96 World Cup, and it will continue to grow in the coming years. That being said, it won't surpass interest in baseball by any objective measure for a long, long, long time. If ever. That's not a value judgement, it's just math.

Interest in soccer had grown a ton in the U.S. since the '96 World Cup, and it will continue to grow in the coming years. That being said, it won't surpass interest in baseball by any objective measure for a long, long, long time. If ever. That's not a value judgement, it's just math.
The 18-25 demographic doesn't care about baseball and loves soccer. That's a huge red flag for the future.