Nielsen Says Most Rabid College Football Fans in Northeast Are in CNY and Western PA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nielsen Says Most Rabid College Football Fans in Northeast Are in CNY and Western PA

Sure and there is a marketplace for it which is great. DC is hopefully getting a new stadium to complete (and host other events). MLS doesn't have Bryce Harper, Mike Trout type talent, those guys are in Europe.
Agree, However this idea that never will it become bigger then baseball is short sighted, The demographics in population are going to change steadily. (Hispanic % of population) You could say that soccer will never surpass baseball among white males over the age of 35 and I would agree with that. Its all about money in global soccer. MLS doesn't pay enough YET.

I agree with others on here who say that soccer has a cap for growth in popularity in the U.S. because it will never be the best league in the world. Probably won't ever come close.

For me, the only soccer I really enjoy is the national team. I try to watch all of those games. Even then, I find myself yelling at the tv half the time because every 2 minutes some jackass crumples to the field like someone just take a baseball bat to their knees, writhing in pain for 30 seconds like their career is over, and then getting up and running full speed down the field. Enough with the theatrics. GET THE AND PLAY THE GAME.

The problem with soccer is that MLS will never be the best league in the world... Soccer can't pass baseball if your favorite team plays in Europe and you can never see a game in person.
Times are changing. In the 21st century I don't think the ability to watch your favorite team in person is a big deal. High def TV makes for a better game watching experience plus it's cheaper, more convenient, etc.
Ironically enough, the increased viewing opportunities for top flight international soccer is one of the reasons I think domestic soccer won't surpass baseball within my lifetime - the level of play is obviously inferior to that overseas and the fan support seems rather artificial when compared to clubs which have been around for a hundred years.

All we need to know is soccer is growing dramatically in the USA. That is a fact. How much it grows over over the next 5-10 years is anyone's guess, but the country-wide demographic shifts definitely will accelerate, not decelerate, that growth.

Soccer and baseball viewership is not a zero sum game. Not sure why these two things ever need to be compared, and this goes for the soccer fans that like to beat their chests and declare impending supremacy over America's past-time. I think there is one thing that could absolutely catapult soccer in the US - to levels inconceivable even just a few years back, and that is the US men making some real noise in the World Cup. I'm talking about a finals run or a finals win. I think we'd go soccer crazy as a nation if that happened, and really big viewership numbers would roll in. We already saw it with the ladies, it would be even greater with the men.

We just can't seem to get out of our own way, however, in terms of cultivating soccer talent. If we could just simply produce one world class bonefide star on the World Stage (whether in Spain or the BPL) - that would also be a game-changer.

I spend several months each year out of the US in Europe or in Mexico. One of the things I do is go to football matches (at all levels) and one of my favorite conversational topics with the locals is football. The average Mexican is as familiar with the EPL, the Bundesliga and La Liga as sports fans in Boston are with the American League East.

When you understand how the development of talent works it's not hard to see the huge hill the US has to climb to develop world class players. Millions of kids in Europe, Central and South America, Africa, Korea and Japan and Europe are busy playing football exclusively on the playgrounds, in dirt streets, and everywhere else.

From this a few exceptional players are produced like a Luis Suarez from Uruguay or a Christian Ronaldo from Portugal.

When I watch these games, I think I understand why the game will be such a hard sell in the US. Part of this is the imprecision of it like the calling of fouls or the almost arbitrary assignment of extra minutes at the end of the two halves.

And then there's the American need to have a winner. If NFL games regularly and routinely ended in 0-0 scores, there would be a lot fewer fans.

The bad news is, IMO, that --- much to the shock of US fans --- the rest of the world will never modify the game to suit US tastes in order to grow it's popularity here. Nor will they give the US another World Cup no matter how many FIFA executives we prosecute.

The US has competed relatively well in the World Cup, but they have been able to do this based on scheme and teamwork using European coaches, not the individual brilliance of players.

As far as I am concerned soccer is an intermural sport like kickball, softball, kick the can...etc. It was brought to America for those not tough enough to play real football. Of course, I am old and part of the last great generation that didn't complain about everything and feel offended for any reason.

As far as I am concerned soccer is an intermural sport like kickball, softball, kick the can...etc. It was brought to America for those not tough enough to play real football. Of course, I am old and part of the last great generation that didn't complain about everything and feel offended for any reason.
"Not tough enough to play real football"

1. Association Football (i.e. Soccer) came first and actually uses your feet. It existed in the US before American Football.
2. "Real" football is making players kill themselves and greatly affecting the rest of players' lives due to injuries.

1. Association Football (i.e. Soccer) came first and actually uses your feet. It existed in the US before American Football.
2. "Real" football is making players kill themselves and greatly affecting the rest of players' lives due to injuries.

"Making players kill themselves"?

"Making players kill themselves"?
concussions suffered during games are eventually leading to players commit suicide i.e. Junior Seau.

10 years from now and soccer will be miles ahead of baseball. Because true Americans realize that soccer is a great sport.
i like both sports and i've been hearing that for a lot longer than 10 years

You can love soccer all you want but, for me it was part of high school athletics to give girls and weak boys an activity for the fall sport season. Like I said, I am probably older then you and will never see the soccer as a real sport no matter how much those third world countries play it in the dirt landfills.

I was going to mention that too. Soccer because of heading the ball, no head protection at all is found to produce dangerous concussions. I know that in youth soccer across the US, allowing heading the soccer ball, a major component of the sport, is being challenged.

I also know that many other sports coaches, including basketball, lacrosse have found that a players' prowess and skills in soccer translates well to their sport.

I was going to mention that too. Soccer because of heading the ball, no head protection at all is found to produce dangerous concussions. I know that in youth soccer across the US, allowing heading the soccer ball, a major component of the sport, is being challenged.

I also know that many other sports coaches, including basketball, lacrosse have found that a players' prowess and skills in soccer translates well to their sport.

And taking heading out of the sport at younger ages is another reason that the U.S. will never catch up to other parts of the world in terms of popularity, because the comparative skill won't be there.

You can love soccer all you want but, for me it was part of high school athletics to give girls and weak boys an activity for the fall sport season. Like I said, I am probably older then you and will never see the soccer as a real sport no matter how much those third world countries play it in the dirt landfills.
Another intelligent post.

will never see the soccer as a real sport no matter how much those third world countries play it in the dirt landfills.
Really?

You really are out of touch with the rest of the world if you think everything outside of the US consists of "third world countries". I can point you to some fine parts of the US if you're interested.

With football's concussion issues, people not wanting to sit through 5 hours of baseball, soccer will continue to take advantage. It's the biggest youth sport in the country, and the premier league is already massively popular. FS1 is now airing the German Bundesliga, and BeinSport is airing La Liga and Ligue 1. Compared to just 5 years ago, this is immense.

While teams might play for 90 minutes with no score, at least it's only a 2 hour time commitment compared to any other sport. Season tickets are extremely affordable as well. There's no ceiling for the biggest sport in the world.

Plus there are no commercials during each half. I think if the us national team can have any success in the near future you could see a big change in interest.

I spend several months each year out of the US in Europe or in Mexico. One of the things I do is go to football matches (at all levels) and one of my favorite conversational topics with the locals is football. The average Mexican is as familiar with the EPL, the Bundesliga and La Liga as sports fans in Boston are with the American League East.

When you understand how the development of talent works it's not hard to see the huge hill the US has to climb to develop world class players. Millions of kids in Europe, Central and South America, Africa, Korea and Japan and Europe are busy playing football exclusively on the playgrounds, in dirt streets, and everywhere else.

From this a few exceptional players are produced like a Luis Suarez from Uruguay or a Christian Ronaldo from Portugal.

When I watch these games, I think I understand why the game will be such a hard sell in the US. Part of this is the imprecision of it like the calling of fouls or the almost arbitrary assignment of extra minutes at the end of the two halves.

And then there's the American need to have a winner. If NFL games regularly and routinely ended in 0-0 scores, there would be a lot fewer fans.

The bad news is, IMO, that --- much to the shock of US fans --- the rest of the world will never modify the game to suit US tastes in order to grow it's popularity here. Nor will they give the US another World Cup no matter how many FIFA executives we prosecute.

The US has competed relatively well in the World Cup, but they have been able to do this based on scheme and teamwork using European coaches, not the individual brilliance of players.

Hope springs eternal. This team has beat beating everyone.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...ontaigu-tournament-after-defeating-france-3-2

The day we win the World Cup will be a day of mourning in the rest of the world because they will have lost the last thing "we can do and the Americans can't." Plus we would have won the same number of World Cups as the plodding English thugs.

As I've said before, only allowing players to head the ball when in the box would not have any real negative impact to the game IMO.

10 years from now and soccer will be miles ahead of baseball. Because true Americans realize that soccer is a great sport.

soccer fans have been saying that since the 70's, but bnoro may be right. I played in HS and will watch the world cup, but haven't yet gone so far as MLS or the Euro leagues.

soccer fans have been saying that since the 70's, but bnoro may be right. I played in HS and will watch the world cup, but haven't yet gone so far as MLS or the Euro leagues.
Agreed. Played keeper in HS (gym, not varsity or JV or anything like that). But I love the World Cup - just something compelling about teams playing for their countries. But I have never watched a Euro game or MLS for that matter (except watching Pele once or twice, a million years ago with the Cosmos)