Nine wins | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nine wins

He's at 49.2, national average is 50.8%. It's pretty close to average but I wouldn't say it's all that efficient.

Going back the last few years:
2017: Lydon was 55%, Battle 53.6%, White 56.5%
2016: Mike G was 55.4%, Lydon 57.2%
2015: Rak 55.2%, Mike 54.2%
2014: CJ 45.3%, Ennis 45.3%. (Woof)
2013: CJ 50.2%, MCW 43.8%, Southerland 56.7%

So, I read this and think, "Not bad, especially for a guy with no weapons around him who draws double teams in college 25 feet from the hoop, which is not common." Others feel differently. Same facts, different opinions I guess.

So, I read this and think, "Not bad, especially for a guy with no weapons around him who draws double teams in college 25 feet from the hoop, which is not common." Others feel differently. Same facts, different opinions I guess.

I was really disagreeing with the comment that he's been efficient with the shots he's had. The numbers speak to that.

there are definitely extenuating circumstances though.

Agree. He's facing a bunch of obstacles: 1) we have only one other outside scorer (FH, although OB's starting to come on); 2) he's drawing the other teams' best defenders; and 3) there isn't much inside as our opponents are clogging the lane (to force us to shoot). It's really a perfect storm against his stats .. and he's doing pretty well.

for the life of me I'll never comprehend how that team got to 25-0

Cooney shot the heck out of the ball the first two thirds of the season. He had a 54% effective shooting percentage.

Cooney shot the heck out of the ball the first two thirds of the season. He had a 54% effective shooting percentage.
but still, with the two key players at 45% and with a mediocre defense by JB standards - smoke and mirrors and a whole bunch of luck

but still, with the two key players at 45% and with a mediocre defense by JB standards - smoke and mirrors and a whole bunch of luck

What was that team's turnover differential before the skid? With Ennis' style of play, I can only assume not turning the ball over is how that team had the success it had.

If Tyus doesn't lose the ball in the ND game and we win that game...we are then 3-3 in ACC...losing the three all on the road and two to #3 and #23 in double OT. Are ppl panicking as much about getting to 5 wins?

Burgan shot 39% as a junior and 40% as a senior, from the field, on teams with much more offensive options than this year's team. He, too, had a sub-1.0 assist/turnover ratio, was not nearly the defender Battle is, and could not dribble more than three consecutive times. Battle, despite his crazy usage rate and the fact that he is generating almost all of his scoring opportunities on his own is shooting better this year than Burgan did in any year (other than his freshman season when he barely played).
Burgan often brought the ball up the court to help beat the press and was a solid defender. A better defender on the back-line than Battle.

I'm not even a Burgan fan, but I do think the Battle/Burgan comparison is a good one because he was a better player than you're giving him credit for. Battle has a much higher ceiling, though, don't get me wrong.

What was that team's turnover differential before the skid? With Ennis' style of play, I can only assume not turning the ball over is how that team had the success it had.

These are just the year end stats, can't slice and dice them into before and after the streak, but...

The defense was really good that year. 13th in the country.

But yeah, turnovers were huge. We were 14th in the country in lowest to% on offense, and 15th in forcing the most turnovers on defense. Basically, per 100 possessions, we won the turnover battle by about 7. That's huge.

Also, while we sucked at shooting, luckily, we were great at offensive rebounding (also 15th in the country). But the turnovers were the key.

These are just the year end stats, can't slice and dice them into before and after the streak, but...

The defense was really good that year. 13th in the country.

But yeah, turnovers were huge. We were 14th in the country in lowest to% on offense, and 15th in forcing the most turnovers on defense. Basically, per 100 possessions, we won the turnover battle by about 7. That's huge.

Also, while we sucked at shooting, luckily, we were great at offensive rebounding (also 15th in the country). But the turnovers were the key.
interesting, did not think we were nearly that good defensively (maybe just seemed like Ennis/Cooney at the top of the zone were porous)

interesting, did not think we were nearly that good defensively (maybe just seemed like Ennis/Cooney at the top of the zone were porous)

I remember Grant being a pretty effective weak side rim protector type. Remember that one two handed block he had against St. John's? He was one of the guys that was able to use length and athleticism to kick the zone up a notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom