No 2018-2019 EPL thread? | Syracusefan.com

No 2018-2019 EPL thread?

OrangeFoo

All American
I might have missed it but I didn’t see one for this years premier league season. My Reds are looking strong but I think City is the class of the league. Big 6 is really a big 3 which might be a big 2 depending on how chelski/Liverpool goes next week.

My main takeaway from the season is I don’t think I have ever seen the gap between the top teams and the rest so pronounced. I don’t see anyone outside of man city having a real shot at beating Liverpool this year and vice versa. Flukes happen but there seems to be quite a gap between these two and the rest.

Mourinho out.

That is all. I’m glad Syracuse football is able to keep me occupied... the Red Devils are a hot mess at the moment.

Mourinho out.

That is all. I’m glad Syracuse football is able to keep me occupied... the Red Devils are a hot mess at the moment.
The problems at ManUre go much deeper than Mourinho. I think Ed Woodward is ckieless about what he wants in a coach. He also has no clue what he wants from a player acquisition perspective. I know money rules all in soccer but the red devils seem years from contention:

My Gunners looking not much different than the Wenger days. Beat up everyone but the big 3-4 , hang around 4th or 5th all year. Man U is a mess all over again. Man City has just about usurped them as the new Manchester machine year in year out.

I might have missed it but I didn’t see one for this years premier league season. My Reds are looking strong but I think City is the class of the league. Big 6 is really a big 3 which might be a big 2 depending on how chelski/Liverpool goes next week.

My main takeaway from the season is I don’t think I have ever seen the gap between the top teams and the rest so pronounced. I don’t see anyone outside of man city having a real shot at beating Liverpool this year and vice versa. Flukes happen but there seems to be quite a gap between these two and the rest.

After Week 8, it's a 3 way tie at the top, in terms of points, with two more teams 2 points back.
City have missed DeBruyne in the middle of the park, but he will be back soon. LePorte looks like he has played his way into a nice partnership with Stones in defense. Mendy is still working his way into the system, and sometimes seems great and sometimes seems a bit clumsy and out of position. My hope is that Pep overthinks things as the title race heats up around Christmas, and tinkers around too much with his attackers.

Liverpool has some worries because Mo Salah has not gotten over that shoulder injury and let down in the Champions League Final. He is not confident in front of goal right now. Klopp showed that they can play some defense with that 0-0 draw with City. Lovren looked good. Liverpool is deep in midfield, but they need someone like Sturridge or Shaquiri to step up and start the goals flowing again. Right now Liverpool is really missing the Ox, who could add some dynamism to their attack.

Chelsea is one of the surprises so far, with Hazard finally scoring goals like we thought he could, but once again opening his mouth about a move to Real Madrid. Come on, dude. Chelsea is still a little questionable at the back, in particular I'm looking at David Luiz, but his passing is important to Sarri-Ball and with an athletic guy like Tony Rudiger next to him, and Dave and Marcos Alonso on the flanks, that's a pretty good safety net. As long as he tones down his impulsive side, we may remain contenders. We have to start finding goals somewhere else in the lineup, though. Kovacic and Ross Barclay have added a lot to the midfield tackling and balance, and both can connect with Hazard and the attackers to create chances. Kepa is also looking good so far as the young replacement for Courtois.

How about Arsenal? After that dreadful start, they've won five in a row and are 2 points from the top. That was some quick turnaround. They have a really potent attack when Ozul doesn't sulk and plays hard. Lacazette and Aubamayang are terrific up front. They seem to be working out their midfield. But I'm still not sold on their defense. Cech doesn't fit Emery's style of distribution, and doesn't look comfortable. Bernd Leno may be the answer; we'll see when they get some tough games.

Spurs, on the other hand, have everyone wringing their hands about how they've fallen off this year, but they too are just 2 points out of first. Harry Kane is so tired, but he has 5 goals in 8 games. Deli Alli is not himself, but Lucas Moura has been like a new signing, now that he's settled. I still think that Spurs have gotten a bit stale by not adding anyone at all this summer, but at least for now, they are still right in the conversation.

United has a terrific roster, but Mourinho has to go. This is his 3rd self-immolation at a job in a row. I believe his time is up. I think the right coach could turn them around quickly, but Zidane has no interest in coaching in England, according to the latest gossip. Who could be that guy to finally get United going again?

Among the next tier, I really, really like Wolves. They only lost once in 8 games and are right around the European positions. Everton seems to be starting to get it together, and Leicester has successfully transitioned to a bunch of younger guys and are still a dangerous team. Eddie Howe is doing great things with Bournemouth. Can't believe they are where they are with the roster they have. Great job.

I'm glad to see West Ham starting to get it together under Pelligrini. They bought a ton of players, so it should have been expected that it would take some time for them to figure it out. But they have gotten a couple very good results these past couple weeks, and may have turned a corner and will become reliably mid-table. Watford is also another very solid mid-table team, despite their beat down this week versus Bournemouth.

I still think it's a five team race. I think injuries are going to determine this season's champ. I can't believe some people who think that it's only the top tier of the teams in the Premier League and then "everybody else". Those mid-table teams are so much more talented than at any time in the 10 years I've been watching the Premier League. I see more losses for the teams at the top this year than the last couple years. I don't see anybody going on 13 game or 15 game winning streaks this season. There is too much talent up and down the table.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom