no. 6 ap | Syracusefan.com

no. 6 ap

Very fair ranking for us I thought Florida would stay ahead of us, but they dropped 7th. However, the 2 AP voters who gave first place votes to Gonzaga are full blown idiots and my guess when pollspeak updates is that 1 of them is Jon Wilner.

Very fair ranking for us I thought Florida would stay ahead of us, but they dropped 7th. However, the 2 AP voters who gave first place votes to Gonzaga are full blown idiots and my guess when pollspeak updates is that 1 of them is Jon Wilner.

Agree across the board.

Wilner Wilner he's our man if he can't do it Ron Morris can.

Duke gets hosed for the first time in their existence ... And almost by Miami. Strange things afoot at the Circle K ...

Gotta love seeing Georgetown play one game in which they barely beat Rutgers, and still jump up 5 spots.

They can thank Creighton, Cinci, and Minnesota for that.

Kentucky? Really? If anyone can name a good team they beat I'll give you my tix to the Georgetown game... But you can't. I hope Florida smashes them tomorrow!
Thank you for saying what we all feel :)
I really hope we play these Ferrari driving, condo on campus living, oh that's all I've got.

Agree across the board.

Yah me too. I don't think I need to preface this by saying I have nothing against Gonzaga because well, nobody really hates them. But who really thinks they'd be favored over any of these teams on a neutral court? Sometimes they'll ignore that and look at the overall resume which is fine; except that their best win is @Ok St.

Chance to lose next week (based of Sagarin)

1. Indiana - 7% (H Purdue, H Nebraska)
2. Duke - 41% (H UNC, A Maryland)
3. Miami - 41% (A Clemson, A Florida St)
4. Michigan - 50% (A Michigan St, H Penn St)
5. Gonzaga - 57% (A St. Mary's, A San Francisco)
6. Syracuse - 45% (A UConn, A Seton Hall)
7. Florida - 25% (H Kentucky, A Auburn)

Of that group, the hardest matchups this week are:
Michigan @ Michigan St
Gonzaga @ St. Mary's

Chance to lose next week (based of Sagarin)

1. Indiana - 7% (H Purdue, H Nebraska)
2. Duke - 41% (H UNC, A Maryland)
3. Miami - 41% (A Clemson, A Florida St)
4. Michigan - 50% (A Michigan St, H Penn St)
5. Gonzaga - 57% (A St. Mary's, A San Francisco)
6. Syracuse - 45% (A UConn, A Seton Hall)
7. Florida - 25% (H Kentucky, A Auburn)

Of that group, the hardest matchups this week are:
Michigan @ Michigan St
Gonzaga @ St. Mary's
Good stuff, I think Duke loses @Maryland, Michigan loses @Michigan State, Gonzaga loses @St. Mary's and Syracuse better come ready @UConn cause we could be number 3 if we win out this week.

Good stuff, I think Duke loses @Maryland, Michigan loses @Michigan State, Gonzaga loses @St. Mary's and Syracuse better come ready @UConn cause we could be number 3 if we win out this week.
This is UConns Super Bowl. Their gymnasium is going to be LOUD!

Anyone that actually watched that Duke/BC game and still gave Duke a #1 ranking is a fool.

My guess is 0 of the 20 actually watched it.

Coaches voted them #1, talk about a lifetime achievement award, good grief.

Yah me too. I don't think I need to preface this by saying I have nothing against Gonzaga because well, nobody really hates them. But who really thinks they'd be favored over any of these teams on a neutral court? Sometimes they'll ignore that and look at the overall resume which is fine; except that their best win is @Ok St.

Based on possession stats (Ken Pom) which generally has a very close correlation to opening lines, Gonzaga is #9, but lets make it #7, (back out the two teams that are not in top 10 contention right now in Louisville and Pitt)

If lines opened today:

Gonzaga would be a pick em against Miami,
A 1 point dog to Syracuse (although have to consider Southerland absence)
A 1 point dog to Duke (depends on Kelly)
A 3 point dog to Michigan
A 4-5 point dog to Indiana
And a 6 point dog to Florida

Somewhere around 5-8 in the rankings makes sense for them. A #1 ranking is unjustified. But using the betting line argument the 17 #1 votes for Miami seem unjustified as well.

This is UConns Super Bowl. Their gymnasium is going to be LOUD!

It's UConn, Maryland and St. Mary's super bowl this week. Great road games this week. And of course Michigan St will be load for Michigan.

Maryland gets extremely loud when they play Duke -- pure hatred for Duke (place is pretty quiet rest of the year).

St. Mary's is a small gym that is loud, and they hate Zaga, as its always the team they finish #2 too -- add that to the fact that Gonzaga is getting #1 votes, they will really want to knock them down. Those are always entertaining games.

But using the betting line argument the 17 #1 votes for Miami seem unjustified as well.

Well yah, that shouldn't be the only criteria - that's why I added the part you didn't bold. Like I think Florida should've been ranked #2 ahead of Alabama in football before the bowls (even though they would've been an underdog had they played) because they clearly had better wins, and accomplishment should matter otherwise why play the games? But in Gonzaga's case it's not like they have a better resume than these other teams.

So he has Michigan favored @Mich St?

I am getting these %'s via RPIForecast which says it uses Sagarin -- it has Michigan with a 51% chance to win (basically pick em).

Ken Pom would make Michigan a 2 point favourite, although that line would certainly move down on the boards I would have to think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom