No grant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No grant

Grant isn't the whole team. They should be able to beat a very bad team at home and they didn't. Maybe Roberson isn't ready because he wasn't prepared through experience over the course of the season. You develope a team. This is why you play more than 6 guys durning the season.

I'm not sure they had more than 6 guys to play. This team hid a lot of flaws early with clutch play late in games. I think the fact of the matter is they really aren't a great team.

Fair, Ennis, and Grant are the only consistently good players on the team. Cooney can be a game changer but also has plenty of lapses on both ends. Rak and Keita have their moments and are nothing special, Gbinige is an enigma, and I can't think of many opportunities we had to play the other freshmen.

Ennis tweaked his ankle and the team's dropped, Grant hurt his back and it plummeted. Before the season everyone was worried about our lack of depth and 3 point shooting, and that's what has been our weakness.

I'm sure there will be a lot of Boeheim bashing, but one can make the argument they have been overachieving all year until 2 injuries to key players.

End of rationalization.

Agree with you Marsh, but it's more than that.
2nd half @ uva? yeah, sure. But tonight there is simply no way SU should have been dominated by Georgia Tech, with Grant or without him.
I think with Grant tonight interior D and rebounding would have been much better

I read this forum quite a bit without posting. However, I feel like I need to throw in my 2 cents. Many are talking about the lack of JG playing, or TE being a freshman, or TR not having enough experience, or TC being off on his shot. But the way this old timer sees it, SU basketball changed this year from a run, run, run, fast break team, to a s-l-o-w tortoise like offense. I saw, on countless occasions when SU got a rebound on a miss by the opposing team, CJ, Cooney, Robison, Mike G running down the court wide open yelling the for the ball. However, SU instead set up in a half court offense. And this has been happeneing all year long. Folks, that is not SU basketball. And when SU was down by 10 pts with 5 minutes to go, they play a half court game. SU has always been a team, under Boeheim to dictate the game tempo with speed, now they play slow down right into the opposing teams game plan. SU even without JG should have fast breaked GTech right out of the gym. I have know idea why coach has changed his offensive game plan. And don't tell me that TE is not the type of point guard to run the fast break, because he has at times shown that he could get the ball up the court.

It's a cesspool right now. Normally check the board countless times per day, but the whining and just general giddiness that some people have in finding more creative ways to put the team down makes it almost impossible to read. They're playing awful right now, and maybe they won't get back to where they were, but I have no reason to think they can't if Grant gets healthy enough to play. Might be time to step back from this place for a while, which sucks.
I don't mind the negativity after a loss, but it just gets out of control.

"Not a fan" of Grant's game? Really?

6 points versus Pitt, 9 versus Notre Dame, 12 versus Clemson on 5 for 12 shooting. He can be very good, but he isn't all that is wrong with our offense. He's played two very good games versus Duke, I'll grant that. Pun intended.

We won all those games. It's not a 1 on 1 score.

So, do you believe that Cooney hits more than 1 of the 8 threes he took tonight because Grant is out there?

I read this forum quite a bit without posting. However, I feel like I need to throw in my 2 cents. Many are talking about the lack of JG playing, or TE being a freshman, or TR not having enough experience, or TC being off on his shot. But the way this old timer sees it, SU basketball changed this year from a run, run, run, fast break team, to a s-l-o-w tortoise like offense. I saw, on countless occasions when SU got a rebound on a miss by the opposing team, CJ, Cooney, Robison, Mike G running down the court wide open yelling the for the ball. However, SU instead set up in a half court offense. And this has been happeneing all year long. Folks, that is not SU basketball. And when SU was down by 10 pts with 5 minutes to go, they play a half court game. SU has always been a team, under Boeheim to dictate the game tempo with speed, now they play slow down right into the opposing teams game plan. SU even without JG should have fast breaked GTech right out of the gym. I have know idea why coach has changed his offensive game plan. And don't tell me that TE is not the type of point guard to run the fast break, because he has at times shown that he could get the ball up the court.
We haven't been a run run team for a long time IMHO.

So, do you believe that Cooney hits more than 1 of the 8 threes he took tonight because Grant is out there?

I don't think Cooney is very good for a Cuse-ACC level starting shooting guard. Does not mean he cannot have his moments. More attention given to him isn't helpful.

OrangeYaGladi said:
man this place is somethin else

Sorry, not a fan of his game. I've felt that way for some time. He doesn't shoot we'll, has no handle and gets pushed around inside. Players like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Freak athlete, sure. But his game has a long way to go.

And we barely won versus Pitt. Too many like that lately, but don't believe I'm blaming him. I honestly don't understand our offense and our complete inability to get decent position to grab an offensive rebound. Way too many shots with one guy underneath in not good enough position.

And we barely won versus Pitt. Too many like that lately, but don't believe I'm blaming him. I honestly don't understand our offense and our complete inability to get decent position to grab an offensive rebound. Way too many shots with one guy underneath in not good enough position.

We usually lose to Pitt.

the one thing I noticed about cooney is that he has to turn and shoot most times. I feel that he needs to shoot more when a guy is front of him from a standstill. Sometimes the guy defending him has given Cooney the room to shoot, but he doesn't.

with Grant out we lose our 4th leading scorer ..with Cooney on the slide we lose our 2nd leading scorer .. cant play good ball and win games when there is no one else to come in and score

the one thing I noticed about cooney is that he has to turn and shoot most times. I feel that he needs to shoot more when a guy is front of him from a standstill. Sometimes the guy defending him has given Cooney the room to shoot, but he doesn't.

Too many times he receives the ball going away from the basket so there is little chance he will be able to turn and get a decent look. The offense needs to be revamped, that's all there is to it.

Sorry, not a fan of his game. I've felt that way for some time. He doesn't shoot we'll, has no handle and gets pushed around inside. Players like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Freak athlete, sure. But his game has a long way to go.

I feel the same way as Grant's game right now is not worthy of a 1 st. round pick. Give him another year and he dedicates his free time to hit the weights hard he then could become a very good NBA player.

Compared to what? Other NBA stars?

No one here is projecting him to be rookie of the year in the NBA. I don't think he should even go to the league next year. But he's a fantastic college player. Great athleticism, great rebounder, and capable 3rd scoring option. He's also a strong shot-blocker.

Strange to pick on him when he's hurt and out of the line-up. You're not a fan of his game? Are you aware that when this team doesn't have his game, they are 1-3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom