no HW in the 2nd half | Syracusefan.com

no HW in the 2nd half

made absolutely no sense. Offense was CLEARLY better with him in the 1st half. I'm with others in really questioning JB's thought process and deployment of personnel right now.
I would love to see more hw too. Jb says he trusts hw. I think it has more to do with that he doesn't trust our rebounding and d with tyus. Then again, we did have a lineup of hw and frank with moyer and ob, no tyus, for a bit, right?

made absolutely no sense. Offense was CLEARLY better with him in the 1st half. I'm with others in really questioning JB's thought process and deployment of personnel right now.

JB had some interesting thoughts in his press conference. He did say that HW didn't play well in the first half. Not sure where he is coming from with that.

Respectfully disagree. Ho wash came in and made some nice plays but then we fell flat and made 2 or 3 awful plays. Thought battle and frank were very good in second half so was fine w hw sitting.

I think it has to do with the rebounding. He said in the presser Battle needs to do a better job there.

Also, loved seeing the few plays with frank and tyus at the top. The ball was really moving. Two passers is better than one, at least on offense.

JB had some interesting thoughts in his press conference. He did say that HW didn't play well in the first half. Not sure where he is coming from with that.

Weird. He had one bad pass but I thought he was fine. Frank was mostly solid against little kids but was VERY lucky not to have 3-4 TOs early in the game. The ball pinballed around back to SU or was deflected out of bounds not giving Pitt officially the ball going the other way.

Battle doesn't rebound at all when on the back line of the zone. JB doesn't want to take either Frank or Tyus out so it's tough to get Washington in.

Battle doesn't rebound at all when on the back line of the zone. JB doesn't want to take either Frank or Tyus out so it's tough to get Washington in.
I get that. But when the offense is so comically wretched for loooong stretches you have to do SOMETHING to inject life into it. And I'm not saying he should have necessarily played a bunch in the 2nd half but there were a few spots where it was blatantly obvious to anyone watching that a change-up was needed

Absolutely right, we finally saw some ball movement with HW on the floor.

But others' comments about Tyus on the back line, and also maybe JB's assessment of HW on D, probably do factor in.

I get that. But when the offense is so comically wretched for loooong stretches you have to do SOMETHING to inject life into it. And I'm not saying he should have necessarily played a bunch in the 2nd half but there were a few spots where it was blatantly obvious to anyone watching that a change-up was needed

I thought once dolezaj came in JB liked the 5 he had on the floor in the second. Before we finally pulled away, Battle and Howard each had threes go in and out and chuckwu missed two bunnies and had another one knocked away. Brissett also had that nice drive come up empty (probably should have been a foul) during our eventual run.

Thought HW did a nice job in the first but didn’t really question him not playing in the second. More a matter of not making shots. Not sure he really solves that.

He creates, through facilitation of movement and adept passing, better shots for the offense than what is created when he's not in.

Thought he looked solid but thought dolezaj filled that role while keeping chuckwu and Brissett on the floor in the second. Wasn’t pretty either way but actually thought we got decent looks for most of the second. Still had the inevitable drought so maybe a few minutes there? But ultimately was fine with the five we saw.

He creates, through facilitation of movement and adept passing, better shots for the offense than what is created when he's not in.

Exactly. And he has the potential to be a decent shooter, especially in comparison to the rest of the cast.

I know this is crazy, but what if, WHAT IF, we put HoWo on the floor and sat, I MEAN WHAT IF, sat one of Battle or Frankie?

We'd immediately lose the ACC tournament, right? Like, the second that got recorded by the score keeper. Right?

I know this is crazy, but what if, WHAT IF, we put HoWo on the floor and sat, I MEAN WHAT IF, sat one of Battle or Frankie?

We'd immediately lose the ACC tournament, right? Like, the second that got recorded by the score keeper. Right?

We wouldn't win a single game in the ACC tournament, not one!

I like HW long-term but I guess JBs current thinking is:
-Battle and Howard are our 2 most important players and he plans on playing them every minute possible in the 2nd half.

-JB (clearly) places a significantly higher value on the overall performance of the zone over any one player's potential offensive contributions

-Playing HW at the 1 with Battle sliding to the 3 would significantly decrease the effectiveness of both the top and bottom of the zone.

So right or wrong I'll be surprised if we see HW much in the 2nd half going forward. I'd rather mix in Washington a bit in every 2nd half but JB seems to think this team's best bet to win games is to scrape out a 56-50 type win and thinks that TB and FH at the top of the zone for pretty much every possible 2nd half minute gives us the best chance to accomplish that.

I mean when you are a national title contender its no time to try and develop players for the future. Can't afford that . We need to get every possible win right now, let the future take care of itself.

How about Frank on the back of the D? Better rebounder than Battle. Just a thought.

Did he make a lazy cross court pass that got intercepted for a break away?
Drove me nuts that the announcers praised Frank's block on the play, but didn't point out the terrible pass.

I agree that with HW in there it seems we move the ball better. We aren't as stagnant and falling into frank or tyus jacking a 3 or driving to hoop. I think JB saw HW make a bad pass and take a shot from 3 that he didn't like and it seems that HW has no leash to work with or room for mistakes which is silly to me because it isn't like the starters aren't turning it over more than they shouldn't.

Also it's not like I'm wanting to have HW take over but Tyus needs some rest. You can see he isn't making outside shots because he seems to have no legs! Dude needs to rest in order for him to be effective and we look much better when we are moving ball around the court

Can someone explain why Brissett doesn’t sit at all? He had about 5 jackwagon plays in row that would’ve gotten others killed.

There was a pretty long period last night where I would have sworn he was sitting, but the box score says otherwise.

And he kind of wants to push the fastbreak :))).

JAB said its a development year. So let him develop. Battle, most likely, isn't going to be playing any minutes for SU next season. No reason to play him 40 mpg when you can sneak HW in for 10-12 minutes - especially against a team as bad as Pitt is.