No McD AA's this class | Syracusefan.com

No McD AA's this class

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
The 2013 McDonald's AA team was announced on ESPNU a few minutes ago. None of SU's recruits made it. Had hoped Ennis might. Dakari Johnson and Wiggins both made it. As usual UK has 5 guys, Duke has 2, UNC has 2, Florida got 2.

We didn't have one in the Warrick/Edelin/Pace/Forth class either.

But we already have one for next year. McCullogh is a S T U D. No chance he doesn't make it.

Does it really matter if our guys are named Mcd AA's? It's not like them being put on a list changes their abilities as a player. It doesn't make them better, it doesn't make a difference in their on court abilities. If we got the right guys (which it seems like we do, at least to me) it doesn't matter if they are on a list or not.

Our guys will prove it when they set foot on campus in the fall.

Much like the stars argument in football recruiting, they won't all pan out. However, I'll take a class of 5 McD AAs every time.

But we already have one for next year. McCullogh is a S T U D. No chance he doesn't make it.
Word up here in New England, best athlete seen since Anthony Davis.. I am pretty close to agreeing with that. Unreal athlete with a ton of potential. Still can't believe he is only a junior!

The team's MCD's have been a mixed bag at best in recent years. Coleman, Rak and Carter Williams haven't exactly set the world on fire. Fab Melo doesn't evoke great memories. Obviously would be nice to see guys get this distinction nonetheless; what is also obvious is that there are no guarantees in recruiting.

I look forward to the incoming class, Ennis and Roberson in particular.

JB has had no McDAA on about half of his teams. Those teams did not do very well. The furthest any of them ever got was to the S16.

Between 1996 and 2005, all of JB's teams had no McDAA, except for one. That only exception was our National Championship team.

Without McDAAs, the record clearly shows, we don't go far. We have three on the current team.

Every year I would take a Gerry and Billy( without his demons) because the 2 of them knew how to play the game. Everyone always forgets the 2nd round in 2003, when our star Melo ended up on the bench against Oklahoma St. We were getting killed in the 1st half Down 18, and Billy and Gerry saved the championship or we go home, Billy's pass to Gerry for the 3 before he had to come out because he was bleeding. If they didn't take over that game we don't have that championship banner. Ennis appears to be out of that mold, maybe not flashy, but steady until he needs to step up.

Every year I would take a Gerry and Billy( without his demons) because the 2 of them knew how to play the game. Everyone always forgets the 2nd round in 2003, when our star Melo ended up on the bench against Oklahoma St. We were getting killed in the 1st half Down 18, and Billy and Gerry saved the championship or we go home, Billy's pass to Gerry for the 3 before he had to come out because he was bleeding. If they didn't take over that game we don't have that championship banner. Ennis appears to be out of that mold, maybe not flashy, but steady until he needs to step up.

Your points are all valid. Every team needs those solid 4 star players. Can't win without them. However, we have gone beyond the S16 only five times and in every case those teams have had at least one McDAA.

By the way, we have never had more than 3 McDAAs on any team, so we are not yet Duke, UNC or UK.

McCullough can't make it, he will be a fifth year senior.

JB has had no McDAA on about half of his teams. Those teams did not do very well. The furthest any of them ever got was to the S16.

Between 1996 and 2005, all of JB's teams had no McDAA, except for one. That only exception was our National Championship team.

Without McDAAs, the record clearly shows, we don't go far. We have three on the current team.

Means nothing. UNC is proof that you can have an entire team of McD AAs and still S U C K. Butler proved that you could get to two consecutive National Championship games without any.

Does it really matter if our guys are named Mcd AA's? It's not like them being put on a list changes their abilities as a player. It doesn't make them better, it doesn't make a difference in their on court abilities. If we got the right guys (which it seems like we do, at least to me) it doesn't matter if they are on a list or not.

Our guys will prove it when they set foot on campus in the fall.
This type of thread is a Board staple. All it accomplishes is exposure of posters that are ignorant of statistics. From here to eternity they will point out outliers as they confuse dispersion with central tendencies. R square anyone?

Reactions: cto
Here are our McDonald's All-Americans:
http://www.orangehoops.org/High Schools/McDonalds All Americans.htm

My choices for the best line-up that could be made of these players, (at their best):
Center: Fab Melo
Forward: Derrick Coleman
Forward: Carmelo Anthony
Guard: Eric Devendorf
Guard: Pearl Washington

My All-star team of non-McDonald's All-Americans we've recruited since 1977:
Center: Rony Seikaly
Forward: Hakim Warrick
Forward: Preston Shumpert
Guards: Lawrence Moten
Guards: Sherman Douglas

I guess I'd go with the Mickey Dees group, but I think it would be a heck of a game.

Only one team in the past 30+ years has won a national championship without a McDAA on its team - Maryland in 2002. So it does matter. You may not need 7 or 8 on your team but you'd better have at least 1.

Ennis went for 53 last night after learning he was left off the roster. I can't link it right now, but story is on Zags Blog.

The team's MCD's have been a mixed bag at best in recent years. Coleman, Rak and Carter Williams haven't exactly set the world on fire. Fab Melo doesn't evoke great memories. Obviously would be nice to see guys get this distinction nonetheless; what is also obvious is that there are no guarantees in recruiting.

I look forward to the incoming class, Ennis and Roberson in particular.

No matter what you or anyone else think mcw is a potential all American and lottery pick as a sophomore . Not sure what else you want

Really? Shite. Paul Harris redux.
Yes, I would like someone to verify, because I am only 99% sure and I would love to be wrong. But, he tried to reclassify back to the 2013 class, but was unable to. I think that means that he was originally part of the 2013 class, and next year will be a post grad year.

Every year I would take a Gerry and Billy( without his demons) because the 2 of them knew how to play the game. Everyone always forgets the 2nd round in 2003, when our star Melo ended up on the bench against Oklahoma St. We were getting killed in the 1st half Down 18, and Billy and Gerry saved the championship or we go home

The game turned when Jimmy realized he needed to get the F out of the zone.

Here are our McDonald's All-Americans:
http://www.orangehoops.org/High Schools/McDonalds All Americans.htm

My choices for the best line-up that could be made of these players, (at their best):
Center: Fab Melo
Forward: Derrick Coleman
Forward: Carmelo Anthony
Guard: Eric Devendorf
Guard: Pearl Washington

My All-star team of non-McDonald's All-Americans we've recruited since 1977:
Center: Rony Seikaly
Forward: Hakim Warrick
Forward: Preston Shumpert
Guards: Lawrence Moten
Guards: Sherman Douglas

I guess I'd go with the Mickey Dees group, but I think it would be a heck of a game.

Backcourt: McD's <<< non-McD's
Forwards: McD's >>> non-McD's
Center: McD's <<<<<<<<<< non-McD's

Could be a fun game.

Backcourt: McD's <<< non-McD's
Forwards: McD's >>> non-McD's
Center: McD's <<<<<<<<<< non-McD's

Could be a fun game.

I would swap out Shumpert for any number of guys that would probably improve that group defensively without dropping any offense. Would still be a heck of a game, especially if you add 2 or 3 bench guys.

I would swap out Shumpert for any number of guys that would probably improve that group defensively without dropping any offense. Would still be a heck of a game, especially if you add 2 or 3 bench guys.

Yeah, even Southerland.

Wallace would be a great backup for the McDonald's group. And there are a dozen players who you could find to back up the non-McD's kids.

I am surprised none of our guys made it, however if you look at this year's team; JB is making some good picks outside the McDAA realm. CJ, Brandon, and Jerami are great examples of players in this category. Just about any team in America would like to have those players. You could add Southerland to the list, although he took several years to develop into the player he is now.