No One Else Is Saying What Needs to Be Said | Syracusefan.com

No One Else Is Saying What Needs to Be Said

This is an excellent column...and right on the mark with the issues he raises.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/07/once-again-espn-announcers-glorify-garbage-as-goodness/

The guy is like a voice in the wilderness...sportsmanship is disappearing from sports.
No one else in sports or the media seems to care.
It's all about the Benjamin$ or the $neakers or the po$ing or the foolish "$wagger."

Won't anyone think of the children?!

What mystical past are you pining for, exactly? Ty Cobb played baseball a hundred years ago. Bench clearing brawls were common in professional basketball until at least the early 1980s. The idea that "sportsmanship" is somehow "disappearing" from sports with this generation of players is both bizarre and cliched - it has been said about literally every generation to come before. (I think it took the nation's sportswriters a good half-decade to recover from the shock of Allen Iverson's tattoos.)

What mystical past are you pining for, exactly? Ty Cobb played baseball a hundred years ago. Bench clearing brawls were common in professional basketball until at least the early 1980s. The idea that "sportsmanship" is somehow "disappearing" from sports with this generation of players is both bizarre and cliched - it has been said about literally every generation to come before. (I think it took the nation's sportswriters a good half-decade to recover from the shock of Allen Iverson's tattoos.)

I didn't read the linked article but your response has my laughing. Every generation has great, poor and everywhere in between sportsmen. Classic line about Iverson and very true.

Last edited:
I think a bigger problem with announcers is they encourage terrible coaching decisions because they are morons.

I have no problem with the current state of sportsmanship. This article seems unnecessary.

The incident that prompted this column gets a big A OK from me.

F those rape enabling cultist a holes.

The incident that prompted this column gets a big A OK from me.

F those rape enabling cultist a holes.
You talking about scumbag Tom Izzo and Michigan State or just the case that the media promotes and makes you care about? They are so good at creating the good guys and the bad guys.

You talking about scumbag Tom Izzo and Michigan State or just the case that the media promotes and makes you care about? They are so good at creating the good guys and the bad guys.

What are you taking about? The article was written irt the Maryland/PSU game 11/1.

Not to mention the intentional bean balls thrown at players heads and before the earflap helmets of today.

Col. Bleep said:

http://nypost.com/2014/11/07/once-again-espn-announcers-glorify-garbage-as-goodness/

The guy is like a voice in the wilderness...sportsmanship is disappearing from sports.
It's all about the Benjamin$ or the $neakers or the po$ing or the foolish "$wagger."

That piece of trash Phil Mushnick and "excellent column" don't belong in the same sentence.

There have been a******* in sports since they began. There's been greed in sports since they began. Read about Amos Stagg and how he alienated the burgeoning Western Conference because he coached at Chicago, a much bigger market than those rubes at Madison and Ann Arbor.

What days do people clamor for when they complain about modern sports or society? Because those days never existed.

I stopped reading after he chastised Beth Mowins for getting a kick out of the Maryland handshake "diss"

Who cares?