No one stays anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No one stays anymore

Have you watched highlights or seen how much talent we have on our roster next year. Maybe we lose some games early, but who knows maybe we improve by a lot at the end of the year due to the potential on the team. It's not like our returning backcourt is Josh Wright and Louie Mccroskey.

I have seen highlights, highlights don't transfer into automatic success. We do have talent, but we also have a lot of question marks.

He's ranked higher than Virginia's Perrantes, no? And he's turned out to be pretty good.

In all fairness though Ennis was asked to do a lot more for Cuse than Perrantes is for UVA. Joseph may be in a similar predicament.

You could argue we have question marks every year. Duke is going to lose players. Kansas is losing players. Indiana lost their best player. Michigan, zona, Louisville, mich st, UCLA, Kentucky, and Florida are all using players. I guarantee most of those teams are in the top 25 next year.

It just makes fans, in particular, less comfortable because we never know who will stay and go, and we fret because someone is playing too well so we then worry he will leave. When players used to stay 3 or 4 years as a rule, we know who we have this year and know he'll be back next year and the year after. It is more comfortable. It also makes succession planning harder for coaches I would definitely assume.

You guys really think we'll be bad?

I just cannot see us being bad with a front court of Grant, McCullough and Christmas. I know, this is assuming Grant stays. But that zone would be nuts. Imagine the dunks, transition and offense with penetrating guards like Joseph and Gbinije as well.

Then Cooney knocking down the occasional three to remind teams not to leave whitey open.

It just makes fans, in particular, less comfortable because we never know who will stay and go, and we fret because someone is playing too well so we then worry he will leave. When players used to stay 3 or 4 years as a rule, we know who we have this year and know he'll be back next year and the year after. It is more comfortable. It also makes succession planning harder for coaches I would definitely assume.

the NBA is very soon going to make everyone stay two years. It hurts both leagues the way it's currently set up. not everyone agrees with it, but there's just way to many guys flaming out early the last ten years. It benefits both leagues IMO. The continuity sucks for, fans and it makes it harder to follow players, but we always seem to be set up for consistent success.

Long ago I held you close, and there you stood... holding you again could only do me good, how I wish I could, but you're so far away. ...
One more song about moving along the highway... can't say much of anything that's new. If I could only work this life out my way, I'd rather spend it being close to you...

Ennis ran the offense on a team with a truly miserable offense, especially at the end of the year. Blame can be placed on a lot of players, but the lead PG should get a good amount of that. I'm not talking about guys not making shots. I'm talking about never hitting the roll on the pick and roll. Not initiating the fast break all the time, always slowing things down, not always making the right pass, etc.

Anyway, I did enjoy Ennis while he was here, but let's face it, he built his reputation on some end of game heroics which was pretty fluky. Not even Lebron, or Jordan or Carmelo could sustain the end of game numbers that Ennis built his reputation on during the 25-0 start. It was a total fluke as was the shot against Pitt. Small Sample Size and all that.

His defense is nothing to write home about either.

Why is he a lottery pick this year? Because those lottery team suck and they don't know how to draft. Ennis is not going to be successful in the NBA. I hope he does great. I appreciate his time here. It was a fun year with a bad ending. He helped us achieve a #1 ranking for a few weeks and a Maui trophy. That is his legacy. I prefer the guys who actually want to accomplish comething before they move on to the next phase in their life, but that is just me.

Bottom line, it sounds like I am bashing him, but I'm not meaning to. This is just a long way to say we won't miss a beat without Ennis, because what did he really help us accomplish in the first place?

Fair stayed. It all depends on getting into the lottery, who's coming out this eyar, etc. Grant would be part of a forward-heavy field and he may decide he'd be better off coming out next year.
I think that's the OP's point. Anyone that may go midway in the first round or earlier leaves. CJ never fit that description.

I also wanted to add, the whole money grab thing...I get it, but 60% of players are broke after 5 years...and how high does that percentage rise after 10 or 15 years? I am in total disagreement with almost everyone on this board who thinks if you are a lottery pick, you have to go. So you go, make a couple mil, blow it in 5 years and then what? Maybe if you stay in school a bit, improve your game, get some education, get some life experience and mature a bit, maybe you'll earn a bit less cause your draft stock dropped some, but maybe you'll be happier and more mature and hold onto your money.

2009..."We lost Flynn, Devendorf, and Harris early! We would've been top 5 next year! We're going to suck next year!"
Next year: 30-5.

2010..."Rautins and AO graduated and Wes left early? We're going to suck next year!"
Next year: 27-8

2011..."Our only good inside player, Rick Jackson is gone and we have to rely on this 7 foot clumsy dork at Center? We're going to suck next year!"
Next year: 34-3

2012..."Waiters AND Fab Melo left, plus Scoop and Joseph graduated? We're going to suck next year!"
Next year: 30-10, final 4.

2013..."MCW left early, and Triche and Southerland graduated? We're going to suck next year!"
Next year: 28-6
All of this is true, but the part that ruins it for fans is that we spend a season getting to know these kids, and then can't look forward to seeing them next year. I do like my team to succeed, but, equally, I like getting to know great players and watching them play for my school. The great ones are gone just as we get to know them. I don't blame the players. They have to do what they think is best for them, but for the college basketball fan it take a significant part of the fun out of it.

I also wanted to add, the whole money grab thing...I get it, but 60% of players are broke after 5 years...and how high does that percentage rise after 10 or 15 years? I am in total disagreement with almost everyone on this board who thinks if you are a lottery pick, you have to go. So you go, make a couple mil, blow it in 5 years and then what? Maybe if you stay in school a bit, improve your game, get some education, get some life experience and mature a bit, maybe you'll earn a bit less cause your draft stock dropped some, but maybe you'll be happier and more mature and hold onto your money.
Or maybe after your basketball funds have dried up, you'll at least have a degree that can aid you in having a steady income the rest of your life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom