No running game is the doing | Syracusefan.com

No running game is the doing

PhatOrange

Living Legend
No semblance of a running game has really been this team's undoing. it's the worst running game I can ever remember. they need to get it fixed next year.

Even 4 yards a carry changes the entire offense and doesn't rely on the quarterback so much.

3-4 hurt linemen might have something to do with it...

No semblance of a running game has really been this team's undoing. it's the worst running game I can ever remember. they need to get it fixed next year.

Even 4 yards a carry changes the entire offense and doesn't rely on the quarterback so much.

How many of our projected starters are hurt?

i get so sick of these excuses. this is the team. build it to survive a season. and move forward.
if plan A goes down you best have a plan B in place or else you're gonna fail. that's called management.

Last edited:
secondly. if you're gonna design an offense that makes your QB your leading ball carrier (esp. one that was knocked out last year) expect the worst.

Not sure it would make much of a difference. I thought byrne was better than emerich. Conway is in. Roberts is in. The 2 guards and the center have had the most issues.

You combine that with two terrible running backs and well we get what we have.

i get so sick of these excuses. this is the team. build it to survive a season. and move forward.
if plan A goes down you best have a plan B in place or else you're gonna fail. that's called management.

What about what's happened implies that there is no plan!? Crazy talk.

Plan B was to run Dungey more and we beat VaTech that game.

Plan C might involve recruiting and time, but I doubt you have the patience for that?

hard to install plan A with Fr Oline dudes unless you are Alabama. until then you are stuck with what you have

it will be 2 yrs before he has an oline that can run his system than you can decide how its working.

and by next yr we have 3-4 options at QB that wont include a walk on as #2.

secondly. if you're gonna design an offense that makes your QB your leading ball carrier (esp. one that was knocked out last year) expect the worst.

This offense is not designed to do that. It's our plan B. And it got us two wins, one vs a top 25 team and probably the best win in the last 10 years.

Is it annoying to sit in front of retro? I bet he spills a lot of beer.

I think we need to accept this is a bit of a rebuild. However, its not a complete rebuild so expect progress in next two years.

I think we need to accept this is a bit of a rebuild. However, its not a complete rebuild so expect progress in next two years.

It always was. I thought before the season we'd be better by 2 games. We were a hurricane and a Dungey injury away.

I think if our RB situation and our secondary improves next year, we'll be bowling (6-7 wins).

It always was. I thought before the season we'd be better by 2 games. We were a hurricane and a Dungey injury away.

I think if our RB situation and our secondary improves next year, we'll be bowling (6-7 wins).

Thats probably reasonable expectation. However, i think it may take one additional year to get the depth we need.

Yup, should have picked up some solid veteran free agents on both lines and in the secondary. And hey, how about a trade deadline deal to bring in some guys to replace the injured players! Or at least promote someone from the practice squad!

Curious what in your mind Plan B is supposed to be in year one, when guys get hurt and your team is extremely young due to two coaching changes in 4 years?

I agree with this.

My only complaint with the offensive staff was the use of Dungey as a runner.

The guy is your best offensive player - without him we cannot really move the ball.

He should have been protected more than he apparently was.

I agree with this.

The guy is your best offensive player - without him we cannot really move the ball.

I agree with this but would add one more complaint.

The underuse of JF has lead to an overuse of Dungey as a runner.

I understand the staff is looking long term with respect to its decision on which RB should get the carries. However, they should also consider if the long term decision results in a crappy running game, which results in running your stud Soph QB running more often, is that a worthy trade off?

Just a question, I am MORE THAN ALL IN on Babers but he needs to find a better way to shelter his QB (if he ever comes back)

What about what's happened implies that there is no plan!? Crazy talk.

Plan B was to run Dungey more and we beat VaTech that game.

Plan C might involve recruiting and time, but I doubt you have the patience for that?

Wait you mean 3 coaches in 5 years and two aborted recruiting classes hurts depth? I thought we should have Alabama depth by now...

I agree with this but would add one more complaint.

The underuse of JF has lead to an overuse of Dungey as a runner.

I understand the staff is looking long term with respect to its decision on which RB should get the carries. However, they should also consider if the long term decision results in a crappy running game, which results in running your stud Soph QB running more often, is that a worthy trade off?

Just a question, I am MORE THAN ALL IN on Babers but he needs to find a better way to shelter his QB (if he ever comes back)

I think the injuries and the young line are a part of it.

I think the design of the running game is bad. All we do is run right up the middle. We do almost nothing wide and there is no misdirection. I don't even see off tackle plays. .

Finally, there's the fact that the guy who clearly, based on both last year and this year, is our best running back, is inexplicably third string.

I think the design of the running game is bad. All we do is run right up the middle. We do almost nothing wide and there is no misdirection. I don't even see off tackle plays. .

Finally, there's the fact that the guy who clearly, based on both last year and this year, is our best running back, is inexplicably third string.
100% agree about youth and injuries.

I think they are worried about speed at RB, which is why we don't go wide. Totally my opinion.

Personally, I have to trust the staff that there is some reason JF is not playing. I don't know if it's not knowing the plays, not knowing the coverages, not being able to communicate the coverages, etc. But until they give me solid reasons not to trust them, I will trust their approach.

You all make very valuable points here, but the short passing game (screen / slant / flat) is the extension of Cuse's running game. I know this come across as couch talk, but with this offense, it rings true.

Quick sets lead to quick diagnosis and ultimately lead to a numbers game (outside pass vs run). Give it time, and next year Dungy wil have the timing / sets played out like a basic drum line and have the offense, and running game on full display.

The system works best when gashing up the middle. We run sweeps - they are called bubble screens.

It's not inexplicable. There are reasons. They've been bandied about all season.

The system works best when gashing up the middle. We run sweeps - they are called bubble screens.

It's not inexplicable. There are reasons. They've been bandied about all season.

Given that we apparently don't have the personnel to make the straight-ahead running game a success then we should have tried for more versatility and deception in the running game. We are just running head long into a brick wall.

And the reasons 'bandied about' hardly seem adequate for keeping your best running back on the bench when you can't run the ball.

Given that we apparently don't have the personnel to make the straight-ahead running game a success then we should have tried for more versatility and deception in the running game. We are just running head long into a brick wall.

And the reasons 'bandied about' hardly seem adequate for keeping your best running back on the bench when you can't run the ball.
Just because you keep saying he is the best RB doesn't make it true. Coaches are very selfish. They want to win. Do you really think they would keep their 'best running back' on the bench if there wasn't a good reason? If that is what they are doing, why would they do that?

I agree with this.

you have to play to win games and not play we cant get him hurt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom