No running game is the doing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No running game is the doing

It always was. I thought before the season we'd be better by 2 games. We were a hurricane and a Dungey injury away.

I think if our RB situation and our secondary improves next year, we'll be bowling (6-7 wins).

I think we'll be a better team next year. But we'll be playing a tougher schedule. 6 wins is probably the high water mark next year. 5 tough road games and Clemson at home.

I think we'll be a better team next year. But we'll be playing a tougher schedule. 6 wins is probably the high water mark next year. 5 tough road games and Clemson at home.
How in the world do we have a tougher schedule...every... single... year?!?:bang: I thought surely you must be wrong. Nope. Looked and it looks like it may be even tougher.:bang::bang:

Just because you keep saying he is the best RB doesn't make it true. Coaches are very selfish. They want to win. Do you really think they would keep their 'best running back' on the bench if there wasn't a good reason? If that is what they are doing, why would they do that?

His accomplishments last year and the numbers he's put up this year year make that clear, as does what we've seen in games.

Sometimes coaches are wrong, (see my story about Harold Gayden and Robert Drummond in an earlier post and the earlier decision to not use Brisley Estime to return kicks, which they reversed). Sometimes they have reason other than an assessment of a player's abilities in their primary skill in their decision making. I'm sure they have a reason for what they are doing but it's not apparent what it is or that it's a good enough reason, considering what has happened with our running game and the impact of that on the team as a whole..

His accomplishments last year and the numbers he's put up this year year make that clear, as does what we've seen in games.

Sometimes coaches are wrong, (see my story about Harold Gayden and Robert Drummond in an earlier post and the earlier decision to not use Brisley Estime to return kicks, which they reversed). Sometimes they have reason other than an assessment of a player's abilities in their primary skill in their decision making. I'm sure they have a reason for what they are doing but it's not apparent what it is or that it's a good enough reason, considering what has happened with our running game and the impact of that on the team as a whole..
I do not think it is 'clear' he is the best RB. Determining the 'best' running back includes more than just yards. If he doesn't know or can't call out the correct protection schemes (which is the RB's responsibility in this offense), I get why he isn't playing as much as you think he should. Out QB gets killed enough as it is.

I guess my response is, it doesn't matter whether the reason is apparent to us. It also doesn't matter whether it is a 'good enough' reason. If it is the staff's reason, it is good enough for me. Until proven wrong. If this is something petty, then all bets are off. But I doubt it.

You could always just straight-out ask him on his show: "Coach, why is JF not playing?"

Not sure it would make much of a difference. I thought byrne was better than emerich. Conway is in. Roberts is in. The 2 guards and the center have had the most issues.

You combine that with two terrible running backs and well we get what we have.
Byrne is far and away our worst lineman.

Emerich was a big loss for us.

I agree with this.

My only complaint with the offensive staff was the use of Dungey as a runner.

The guy is your best offensive player - without him we cannot really move the ball.

He should have been protected more than he apparently was.
Again...nothing was designed that way. Dungey running so often had to do with a leaky offensive line in pass cover blocking, no traditional running game due to poor run blocking, and a QB who is young, and still trying to learn the offense.

Byrne is far and away our worst lineman.

Emerich was a big loss for us.

When Byrne first took over he played well. there were numerous post discussing it. I agree he's regressed but so have they all. I attribute it to youth and first year in the system. i don't think people dont weight the pace of play enough either.

Anyhow, Emerich was really no great shakes. He was ok. Shafer recruited poorly on the OLine and then hired Joe Adam to be the OLine coach.

Last edited:
How in the world do we have a tougher schedule...every... single... year?!?:bang: I thought surely you must be wrong. Nope. Looked and it looks like it may be even tougher.:bang::bang:

Our first three games next year will be home games against an FCS school, Middle Tennessee State and Central Michigan. 3-0 is being handed to us on a silver platter. We have conference home games against BC and Wake. Find a win in one more place and we're in a bowl game.

I do not think it is 'clear' he is the best RB. Determining the 'best' running back includes more than just yards. If he doesn't know or can't call out the correct protection schemes (which is the RB's responsibility in this offense), I get why he isn't playing as much as you think he should. Out QB gets killed enough as it is.

I guess my response is, it doesn't matter whether the reason is apparent to us. It also doesn't matter whether it is a 'good enough' reason. If it is the staff's reason, it is good enough for me. Until proven wrong. If this is something petty, then all bets are off. But I doubt it.

You could always just straight-out ask him on his show: "Coach, why is JF not playing?"

I did and he dismissed JF's numbers because they came "late in the game". (They didn't last year.) He also said he would have to "wait his turn." He a sophomore as is Stickland. Neal is a freshman. So when would his turn come?

It may take "more than just yards" but yards sure matter and he gets more of them than the other guys. He also passes the 'look' test. It may be that he isn't as good a pass receiver but how often have you seen Strickland or Neal targeted? He's stronger and quicker than the other guys, hits the hole fast and makes better cuts. When he came into the game Saturday, he immediately took command of the blocking and got everyone organized. He looked like a guy who was trying to prove to the coaches that he could it as well as anybody. (He was also right in front of Babers in that locker room video, showing his enthusiasm.)

I think it matters if the reason was good enough. I suspect the reason was that Jordan got off on the wrong foot with the new staff by showing up out of shape and he's now trying to overcome the hole he put himself in. That may be a good enough reason but the impact of his absence in the line-up has been huge, IMHO.

Last edited:
Given that we apparently don't have the personnel to make the straight-ahead running game a success then we should have tried for more versatility and deception in the running game. We are just running head long into a brick wall.

And the reasons 'bandied about' hardly seem adequate for keeping your best running back on the bench when you can't run the ball.

you should go watch Bowling Green games and you'll have your running game questions answered. Their 2 backs put up 2,000 yards so Babers running game is sound.

the best foundations are to just put the plan in place and go with it. The dog wags the tail, not the other way around.

if we had a RB with vision and the ability to make people miss even this year would be a different story.

It seems to me that we actually have the skill players to get the job done on offense, but the O Line is totally incapable of holding blocks and opening holes. We get man handled by ACC D Lines. I don't think I have ever seen a worse run game at SU. The good news is that we really do have a very good passing game. If we recruit/develop better linemen (on both sides of the ball) we will really have something.

you should go watch Bowling Green games and you'll have your running game questions answered. Their 2 backs put up 2,000 yards so Babers running game is sound.

the best foundations are to just put the plan in place and go with it. The dog wags the tail, not the other way around.

if we had a RB with vision and the ability to make people miss even this year would be a different story.

We do.