Nola recommendations | Syracusefan.com

Nola recommendations

Orangezoo

In the wind
Ok so the wife is tasked with a Bachelorette party in NOLA. They are staying at the omni near the French quarter. Looking for recommendations to help her plan a good girls weekend for some that know it well

Following because I'm heading NOLA for a conference end of the month.

Here's a couple.

There's a tremendous existing NOLA thread. Had a great time there a month ago.

Curious of the recommendations in the thread any no gos now? Or new ones?

Curious of the recommendations in the thread any no gos now? Or new ones?
If I had to do it over I would have had oysters every day.

Ok so the wife is tasked with a Bachelorette party in NOLA. They are staying at the omni near the French quarter. Looking for recommendations to help her plan a good girls weekend for some that know it well
I would say that the 1 absolute must is for them to do an evening at Bacchanal. Can't really think of anything that could be better. Don't think they normally do reservations but if it's a fairly big group then they may be willing to work around that. It's thee perfect New Orleans experience.

In my experience if it's most people's 1st time and are in 20s, early 30s the majority of time is just going to be spent wandering around in the Quarter. Not something I'm remotely interested in but it's just going to be what happens, especially in a group because of the ease of it. The best she can hope to do in that sense is to wander over to Frenchman St to the jazz clubs instead of the Bourbon St nonsense. It's on the edge of the Quarter and easily walking distance.

I would say that the 1 absolute must is for them to do an evening at Bacchanal. Can't really think of anything that could be better. Don't think they normally do reservations but if it's a fairly big group then they may be willing to work around that. It's thee perfect New Orleans experience.

In my experience if it's most people's 1st time and are in 20s, early 30s the majority of time is just going to be spent wandering around in the Quarter. Not something I'm remotely interested in but it's just going to be what happens, especially in a group because of the ease of it. The best she can hope to do in that sense is to wander over to Frenchman St to the jazz clubs instead of the Bourbon St nonsense. It's on the edge of the Quarter and easily walking distance.

I wouldn't even go on Bourbon St.

I wouldn't even go on Bourbon St.
My wife and I usually will walk down one time during an afternoon with a drink in hand to look around and see what's changed and that's the extent of the time I want to spend there. It is pretty interesting how much it has changed over the last 10-15 years. It used to be packed with strip clubs and other sketchy sex shops but the majority of those have been removed over the years.

This is awesome appreciate it!!

If they are staying down that way, I would tell them to hit Elizabeth's for brunch on the weekend. Great bar for cocktails during the day but will be sitting inside and it's a little dark in there would be Bar Tonique

Great spot for outdoor drinking and you wouldn't know from the front or by driving by would be Wrong Iron in Mid City. I watched NCAA hoops there on a Saturday and it was great It's going to be hotter than hell but there is some shade and big umbrellas. It's at the end of the greenway which I have patrolled via bike during the day on several occasions.

Mother's Restaurant. Great place, wait in line to order. Wait a bit, pick up a find a seat and meet all sorts of people. Last time in NOLO we arrived at 11 AM headed to Mothers. There was a waiting line at the door.. An employee came out and offered $5 bloody Mary's while we waited. Then he sang an Elvis love song to the ladies.

Not a long wait for delicious food and making new friends

Last edited:
Mother's Restaurant. Great place wait in line to order, wait a bit pick up and find a seat and meet all sorts of people. last time there we arrived in Nolo at 11 AM headed to Mothers. there was a waiting line outside to get in. An employee came to the door and offered $5 bloody Mary's while we waited. Then he sang an Elvis love song to the ladies.

Not a long wait for delicious food and making new friends

Solid spot, one of the more popular PO Boy spots that is worth it like you said for the experience as well. I put Parkway Bakery in that mold too. Love Killer Po Boys too on Dauphine, kind of different approach and I have two kids that are vegetarian ( which can be brutal in New Orleans) but this place does really good off the wall Po Boys for vegetarians too. really really good. BBQ chicken Po Boy is insane.

Another lunch spot that is kind of off the wall and really popular is Turkey & the Wolf. Owner does some crazy stuff and it's really good.

Solid spot, one of the more popular PO Boy spots that is worth it like you said for the experience as well. I put Parkway Bakery in that mold too. Love Killer Po Boys too on Dauphine, kind of different approach and I have two kids that are vegetarian ( which can be brutal in New Orleans) but this place does really good off the wall Po Boys for vegetarians too. really really good. BBQ chicken Po Boy is insane.

Another lunch spot that is kind of off the wall and really popular is Turkey & the Wolf. Owner does some crazy stuff and it's really good.
Turkey & the Wolf is so damn good. Same with Cochon Butcher. Just rarely recommend places like that to 1st timers because almost every one of my friends that goes for the 1st time gets stuck in the quarter the whole time.

Turkey & the Wolf is so damn good. Same with Cochon Butcher. Just rarely recommend places like that to 1st timers because almost every one of my friends that goes for the 1st time gets stuck in the quarter the whole time.

100%. Cochon butcher is great as well.
Owner of turkey and wolf opened a breakfast place called mollys rise and shine on magazine st I haven’t tried it yet though. Guy is original to say the least.

These threads always end up getting me riled up and looking at flights. Just can't do June-Sep though, not chancing it that its going to be 100 out and not wanting to walk anywhere.

These threads always end up getting me riled up and looking at flights. Just can't do June-Sep though, not chancing it that its going to be 100 out and not wanting to walk anywhere.

yeah it's brutal down there 4 months a year. Like the CNY winters it can flat out be unbearable. I was down in Louisiana last June and caught a great stretch of weather but that's pretty rare. October/ November and March/ April are great.

yeah it's brutal down there 4 months a year. Like the CNY winters it can flat out be unbearable. I was down in Louisiana last June and caught a great stretch of weather but that's pretty rare. October/ November and March/ April are great.
That's kind of how I justified living in Florida and Texas. The summer was miserable but it was still preferred to the winters I grew up with in Buffalo where the weather would/could be crap for portions of half the year, Nov-April.

I was surprised when my wife said they wanted Nola this time of year. I lived in south Florida for a year 20 some years ago and when not getting a sea breeze it was awful this time of year.

That's kind of how I justified living in Florida and Texas. The summer was miserable but it was still preferred to the winters I grew up with in Buffalo where the weather would/could be crap for portions of half the year, Nov-April.

Agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom