Nolan on Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Nolan on Recruiting

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Nolan Weidner:
Not a lot, sorry to say.
SU is back in the hunt, big-time, for three/four-star recruit Wayne Morgan out of Brooklyn's Erasmus Hall High. He's apparently got it down to UConn and Syracuse. Other than that, my sources say SU is about finished this year. There are only a few spots left, depending on academics and who gets offered a redshirt season after this year.
Other than Morgan, SU wants another running back, maybe a tight end, and one or two defensive ends.

Beating UConn would put us in a better spot.

Question should be (based on Marrone's previous statements about numbers they anticipate bringing in) are there comittments that have been not been publicized yet or is the staff going to bring back all the graduating seniors who have a 5th year of eligibility.

Every week in his chat he says he's working on something for next week. Literally every chat. If you don't have anything just say so.

Question should be (based on Marrone's previous statements about numbers they anticipate bringing in) are there comittments that have been not been publicized yet or is the staff going to bring back all the graduating seniors who have a 5th year of eligibility.

Me likey silent verbals. :D

He has no insight into program he covers

He seems to be going through the motions in his reporting. His articles sounds like they are written by someone whose been ASSIGNED to cover SU football. No passion for the team whatsoever, and it shows in his writing.

It sure sounds like with the numbers DM has thrown around, and the numbers that we can calculate that there are somethings in the works, or that there have already been some solid, yet silent commitments. makes you wonder, as DM and staff were surely out on the road over the bye week, as well as being down in GA early before the Tulane game. Maybe we can assume that one of the SV's is from atleast one southerner?

I hope Doug made a trip to Brooklyn to put Morgan over the edge. Morgan will be a threat wherever he ends up.

He seems to be going through the motions in his reporting. His articles sounds like they are written by someone whose been ASSIGNED to cover SU football. No passion for the team whatsoever, and it shows in his writing.

In my opinion, he's been a disaster from the beginning. He now gets the BP treatment from me... I see his name, I skip the article.

I still can't believe they demoted Webb because Marrone didn't like him.

This is an internet legend that is now fact by virtue of being repeated often enough, kind of like all those players DM "ran off." I worked with Donnie for 15 years, and he was NOT, repeat NOT, demoted. He had flirted for years with asking to be reassigned. Let's face it: The beat is a grind that can chew you up and spit you out, can make your wife hate you and your kids beg to have their dad back. Kind of like a coach, without the pay. The pressure was amped up big-time when the world of tweets, blogs, webcam videos, etc. became part of the job. Donnie finally asked to be reassigned following the 2009 season. He was NOT demoted - at least if he was nobody, including him, told me - and from what I can tell is very happy in his current role. I must admit I am often very envious.

This is an internet legend that is now fact by virtue of being repeated often enough, kind of like all those players DM "ran off." I worked with Donnie for 15 years, and he was NOT, repeat NOT, demoted. He had flirted for years with asking to be reassigned. Let's face it: The beat is a grind that that can chew you up and spit you out, can make your wife hate you and your kids beg to have their dad back. Kind of like a coach, without the pay. The pressure was amped up big-time when the world of tweets, blogs, webcam videos, etc. became part of the job. Donnie finally asked to be reassigned following the 2009 season. He was NOT demoted - at least if he was nobody, including him, told me - and from what I can tell is very happy in his current role.

Thanks for clearing that up. Dave, thanks for the great coverage. Do miss the audio you used to do w/ Ordonez pictures for each game. What happened to that? Too much?

Glad to hear it was by Webb's own choice. He provided outstanding coverage. Thanks, Dave!

Depends. There is at least one kid who reportedly was offered who really was not. There are others who are assessing their situations. I think it could be as few as two and an many as four or five, but the situation is so fluid it seems to change daily. For instance, the last I heard Morgan was down to Syracuse and South Carolina. There was no mention of UConn or Rutgers. I should qualify anything I say by this: The recruiting gig was the BIG reason I expressed no interest in replacing Donnie as the beat writer, that and the fact that I really felt I had more to offer as the analyst. You guys are probably way more in tune with recruiting than I am. I get to go to lacrosse (thank you very much, Kevin Drew!) when football season ends.

I'm glad we were able to clear up that rumor. But the rumor about Bell Biv Devoe wanting to kill Rob Moore is still real, right?

:bat:Absolutely.
Thanks Dave... You are one of the best analysts out there... Stinks about Drew... Any belief he makes it back, ever?

Wrong board for that question, I know... sorry

Depends. There is at least one kid who reportedly was offered who really was not. There are others who are assessing their situations. I think it could be as few as two and an many as four or five, but the situation is so fluid it seems to change daily. For instance, the last I heard Morgan was down to Syracuse and South Carolina. There was no mention of UConn or Rutgers. I should qualify anything I say by this: The recruiting gig was the BIG reason I expressed no interest in replacing Donnie as the beat writer, that and the fact that I really felt I had more to offer as the analyst. You guys are probably way more in tune with recruiting than I am. I get to go to lacrosse (thank you very much, Kevin Drew!) when football season ends.
Word has it that SC hasn't even offered Morgan. I bet G.A. Mangus is all over him, though. He's the reason SC has been pulling guys out of the NE for years.

Dave how about a story on Tambroni down in Penn St and how he is doing this spring.. he is a local guy (before I get slammed here) and would be a good one, IMO...

I'm glad we were able to clear up that rumor. But the rumor about Bell Biv Devoe wanting to kill Rob Moore is still real, right?
Spiderman and Freeze in full effect.

Dave- thanks, that makes me feel better. And I hope Donnie is enjoying his new assignment.

And keep up the great work. I read your stuff religiously and I know many on this board (other than Millhouse) appreciate you plugging away in face of the grind.

This is an internet legend that is now fact by virtue of being repeated often enough, kind of like all those players DM "ran off." I worked with Donnie for 15 years, and he was NOT, repeat NOT, demoted. He had flirted for years with asking to be reassigned. Let's face it: The beat is a grind that can chew you up and spit you out, can make your wife hate you and your kids beg to have their dad back. Kind of like a coach, without the pay. The pressure was amped up big-time when the world of tweets, blogs, webcam videos, etc. became part of the job. Donnie finally asked to be reassigned following the 2009 season. He was NOT demoted - at least if he was nobody, including him, told me - and from what I can tell is very happy in his current role. I must admit I am often very envious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom