Non traditional thinking... | Syracusefan.com

Non traditional thinking...

Jake

Mod
I have a feeling we have a staff that is going to think much differently than the conservative mindsets that have dominated our football program since pasqualoni took over.

I don't think we're going to see punts inside the opponents 40, excuses about why freshman can't play, or conceding a recruitment because the big boys are involved.

Could be fun.

I have a feeling we have a staff that is going to think much differently than the conservative mindsets that have dominated our football program since pasqualoni took over.

I don't think we're going to see punts inside the opponents 40, excuses about why freshman can't play, or conceding a recruitment because the big boys are involved.

Could be fun.

God, I hope so, but have one question:

Are you saying Coach Mac wasn't conservative? He may have been the most conservative coach I've seen here.

Remember, Coach Mac went for two and the win against West Virginia and criticized Pat Dye for playing for a tie in the Sugar Bowl.

Mac was noooot conservative. The offense he ran was waaaaay ahead of its time. The freeze option was almost unique to the game.

Going for two against wvu. First play bomb against PSU. Using the tight end throwback deep in our own territory.

His fb dive calls set up the outside and bombs.

This gets me thinking. How many trick plays did we run in the four-year Marone era? I recall the half back TD pass against USC at The Coliseum. Can't think of much else and I think I watched every game start to finish.

Mac was noooot conservative. The offense he ran was waaaaay ahead of its time. The freeze option was almost unique to the game.

Going for two against wvu. First play bomb against PSU. Using the tight end throwback deep in our own territory.

I was able to watch practice that entire week. They ran the play to Moore every single day leading up to the game. The team was in lock down mode and when i saw him on the field my Father and i knew here it comes... One of the greatest moments in all of my watching SU sports was that play. The atmosphere was the best i can ever remember equal to the WVU game. The PSU game has to go down as the most rewarding football game i have ever seen even better than Nebraska.

The Quick Kick is the ultimate conservative play. I still love it as a surprise play. But yes, it is conservative to give away not just one, but two downs just to trade field position.

The Daryl Johnston quick kicks which tipped the scales for us in regards to field position in several games were game changers.

Coach P is usually considered pretty conservative too but he had some tricks up his sleeve.

Don't forget about Kirby Dar Dars' 95 yard reverse kickoff TD run in the big upset of #1 Florida* in 1991 at the Dome. He was just a freshman playing in his 3rd game.

Then in the 1992 Fiesta Bowl in Tempe against Colorodo** the coaches asked him if he thought he could pull it off again. He told them absolutely and sure enough he did it again this time for 100 yards. I did some work for Kirby a few years ago, that's when he told me that story.

The Gators have not traveled north of the Mason Dixon line for an OOC game since that 38-21 beat-down 22 years ago.

*Steve Spurrier:

Just before we went out for the TV introductions - ABC was broadcasting the game - I told the kickoff coverage team to look for a reverse on the opening kickoff. It fell on deaf ears. After we watched Kirby Dar Dar run right past our bench on the way to a 95-yard touchdown on a reverse on the opening kickoff, I asked three members of the coverage team if they had heard me talk about watching for that play. All of them said no

**DAR DAR'S 100-YARD KICKOFF RETURN BOOSTS SYRACUSE OVER COLORADO

The Gators have not traveled north of the Mason Dixon line for an OOC game since that 38-21 beat-down 22 years ago.
Mason Dixon line? The Gators haven't left the state of Florida for an OOC game since that day.

The freeze option at the time was considered a gimmick offense to most. Yes, I love it and it worked great for us a the time, but it was a running based offense. I wouldn't label it conservative or non-conservative.

Going for 2 against WVU? He had to make that call. He would've been run out of town if tied the last game of the year of an undefeated season. If there was any chance of getting a National Championship then he couldn't of kicked that extra point. That was a no brainer and to kick the field goal would've just been plain stupid.

I don't see how a tight end throwback is a wild and crazy but, OK.

But OK you got me on the first play bombs and trick plays. Those were a staple of his games. He loved to score quick and early. Shouldn't everybody?

Could be fun.

I'm against playing freshmen most of the time.

Could be fun.

This staff sounds like they would come hang out in the Fine Lot after games...and invite guys with pizza boxes to write up plays during the games. ;)

I thought this thread was about me before i read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that we have a staff that is philosophically different from what we've gotten used to seeing, and this will produce a better fan experience overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom