Noon, Thu & Fri games SUCK, not the Fans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Noon, Thu & Fri games SUCK, not the Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being rude, just continuing the dialogue. SU promotes the product through reasonably consistent advertising. They also get the coaches out into the community. They work with the student groups to try and build support among the underclassmen. They have invested heavily in upgrading facilities (more to come). They have invested in good coaching. They are doing everything possible to put a good, competitive product on the field. They have dressed up the Dome. They have discounted tickets -- as well as given tickets away to youth groups, military and to the SU student population. They are charging $100 for a Season Ticket -- and unheard of price for most of D1. They have instituted the open seating policy for the students. 99% of the time they are completely cooperative with the media to be available at every opportunity for an interview, report or article. They have hosted the Annual Day prior to the start of the season to cater to the kids and fans who might like the opportunity to see the team up close and personal. They have tried to work their schedule around the NYS Fair. They have tried to coop with The Fair to generate additional fan interest. They have frequently scheduled our first game away from the Dome so as not to directly compete with the Fair. The coaches have gone on speaking engagements to parts all over Upstate New York to address potential fans, build interest and awareness in the team. (I'm sure there are other things I am missing.)

What EXACTLY is it you want them to do, that they are not already doing, and which is something they can control -- note: without a huge hit to their ability to make some money on the program?

I did not say SU was not promoting their product. I never sait that at all actually, so would you mind pointing that out? What I thought I was saying was that in general you cater to your market. If customers (fans) are not buying, wouldn't you want to know why? I just tried to make a point, and everyone on this board is so defensive. Telling the truth about attendance does not help or hurt me. If SU or whoever makes the schedules wants to continue scheduling every game at noon, then so be it. Fact is, less people will show up just like less people show up for basketball games that are held during the week against Rutgers, Providence, Seton Hall etc. Different variables factor in, and I'm simply pointing them out. There's a reason for low attendance, but apparently there are a lot of very angry and disgruntled posters on this board that are in denial.

What do you have going on that is more fun than tailgating with a bunch of your friends, and then watching your favorite team play football? I'm genuinely curious. Are you attending some out-of-control celebrity-filled party at the Playboy Mansion? If that is it, can I please tag along with you?

Yeah, you figured me out.

What I said was most people are too busy early saturdays and find it difficult to get out @ 6-7 a.m.

That's silly. If you aren't tailgating, you can leave your driveway at 10:45 am from anywhere in the greater Syracuse metro area and be in your seat before a Noon kickoff with time to spare.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Don't I have the right to my own opinion of your opinion?

You aren't giving the truth either. You are giving your opinion. Enjoy the leaves!
Yes, you certainly do. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but no one should disrespect someone for it which includes name calling, derogatory and immature remarks, etc.

This post shows the clear dichotomy on this board - those that get it and those that don't.

PS - SU does not have starting times directly under its control. We could start every game at 3:30 on Saturday. Of course, those games would be on ESPN3 (or no broadcast at all). But think of how many people we wouldn't inconvenience.

I did not say SU was not promoting their product. I never sait that at all actually, so would you mind pointing that out? What I thought I was saying was that in general you cater to your market. If customers (fans) are not buying, wouldn't you want to know why? I just tried to make a point, and everyone on this board is so defensive. Telling the truth about attendance does not help or hurt me. If SU or whoever makes the schedules wants to continue scheduling every game at noon, then so be it. Fact is, less people will show up just like less people show up for basketball games that are held during the week against Rutgers, Providence, Seton Hall etc. Different variables factor in, and I'm simply pointing them out. There's a reason for low attendance, but apparently there are a lot of very angry and disgruntled posters on this board that are in denial.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not angry or disgruntled on this topic. I just think you fail to recognize that Noon starts are not the major reason that SU has attendance problems.

Most people (intelligent ones anyway) put their careers, family or other personal activities first before SU football. Apparently if that's the case, then we are not allowed to root for SU, because we don't sacrifice our lives to make it to the DOME.

That is a fair statement - but the issue most are having is that while they do put those things first most of the time, when SU Football interferes with them they do not blame SU for the interference. Priorities are established by the individual and the fact that they are means sacrifice one way or another. If that is how you feel then more power to you, but if it bothers you so much that you complain about it (obviosuly you care about SU) then you need to do something about it and adjust accordingly (either don't go or alter your plans). When a recurring issue cause you a problem sometimes you need to stop blaming the cause and look how you can resolve through your own actions.

Also, getting up at 6 is not a prerequisite for attending a nooner (though i do to start tailgating because being with friends and family to do so is something i enjoy) and by your established time frame taht means for a 3:30 game people need to "trek" (using that word means it sounds like a chore and not fun, maybe that is part of your issue with the whole thing) up to the Dome around 9:30 which would seem to take up the entire day anyways.

Most people (intelligent ones anyway) put their careers, family or other personal activities first before SU football. Apparently if that's the case, then we are not allowed to root for SU, because we don't sacrifice our lives to make it to the DOME.

Being associated with a fan base like some of the people on this board who are so hostile, crude and downright ignorant makes me want to throw up all over myself. I used to be a proud fan, but I actually am kind of embarrassed by the treatment. Hopefully you don't treat your spouses the same way, when they they like something you don't.

What you've done here is effectively questioned the intelligence and priorities of those who are able to effectively intermingle career, family with still making exceptions to make it to the game.

By doing so, you yourself have come a bit "hostile, crude and downright ignorant" in quite few posts here to those who don't share your viewpoint. Sorry for the childish remarks from some, sorry you're offended, but also sorry you feel the need to offend so many in the process.

orangebabe

You keep throwing around the word ignorant. What are you basing that on? The only things ignorant in this thread are your views. You act like noon games are a choice made by SU (ignorant). You act like no one else in America plays noon games (ignorant). You act like CNYers have lives, does that mean fans everywhere else do not since they go to games (ignorant)? And what are all these interesting things to do in CNY that are apparently not available anywhere else? You state that we didn't play nooners when P was here (ignorant). And that people don't show up for nooners, even though they used to (ignorant).

This person has nailed a portion of the local fanbase, absolutely nailed it. You do realize Syracuse has zero control over start times that are slotted for TV dont you? I also found the comments about closing pools and winterizing boats comical, its mid September most boats in CNY are allready out of the water and most pools take about 2 hours to close. If you have so many chores to do why not wait till a road game when you have all day or a bye week or a Sunday. Rhode Island was a 4:30 start can I assume you made that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom