North Carolina executed on offense and got EASIER looks the 2nd half.. | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina executed on offense and got EASIER looks the 2nd half..

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Xmas was outphysicaled for the first time this season on D in the 2nd, but a big part of that was no pf or backup center to help him. We were hurting on the boards as well, and left paige open a few times.

UNC played the better second half, that;s all there was to it. Always helps to play at home.

For sure. Cooney also made some freaking circus shots that were very well defended keeping us in it. Unfortunate outcome especially considering all of their turnovers. They played better and we got zero out of Joseph again. Really hurting us.

For sure. Cooney also made some freaking circus shots that were very well defended keeping us in it. Unfortunate outcome especially considering all of their turnovers. They played better and we got zero out of Joseph again. Really hurting us.

Yeah, Joseph is a mess. Patterson had a fairly bad second half, but would have preferred to see more of him. Crisper ball movement, better defense.

Easier looks is so key. Teams are more physical then us in the second half particularily this year.
Im sure some of it is depth, but they just are. We were defensive animals in the first half.

Gbinije WoW! his best defensive half ever, and Cooney was all over the place on both ends.

IMO, our interior D and defensive rebounding haven't been good for most of the past 4 games.

It seems like we have to work our asses off to score, and other teams get easier and better looks. Our margin of error is razor thin.

This game was lost at the pg position, Unc has one of the better pgs in the country, and we have a pg who is killing us right now.

IMO, our interior D and defensive rebounding haven't been good for most of the past 4 games.

It seems like we have to work our asses off to score, and other teams get easier and better looks. Our margin of error is razor thin.

It was odd - in the second half even Roberson seemed to lack some of his usual fight on the boards. There were a few times where it seemed like everyone was just standing around hoping Rak would get the rebound. One on 3 when you're outsized is too much.

I assume they were gassed though - can't really complain too much.

It seems like as ACC play has started G is having more trouble being effective on the boards though.

UNC shot 55% and outrebounded us by 15,

3 pointers them 9-16 / 7-24 us

unc had momentum the entire second half. Particularily because of their offense. Thats why they won by 10 instead of 3-5.

Last edited:
Ghost said:
It was odd - in the second half even Roberson seemed to lack some of his usual fight on the boards. There were a few times where it seemed like everyone was just standing around hoping Rak would get the rebound. One on 3 when you're outsized is too much. I assume they were gassed though - can't really complain too much. It seems like as ACC play has started G is having more trouble being effective on the boards though.

We're small with no bench.

Team is fighting but it's going to be tough.

This game was lost at the pg position, Unc has one of the better pgs in the country, and we have a pg who is killing us right now.

Not sure what tonight will show, but this is plus/minus the past 5 games:

Patterson: +2, +14, -3, +16, +3 (Total: +32)

Joseph: +8, -11, -9, -8, -7 (Total: -27)

I bet tonight's number are similar. That's with G playing PG, and Patterson on the floor, I'm assuming for the most part whenever Joseph is off, Patterson is on the court (and G steps over to PG).

I said at halftime in the chatroom if UNC figures out they can go inside we will be in trouble. They immediately went in the paint to start the second half. Once we tried to collapse inside Britt hit some threes. UNC played real solid in the second half. Like many have already said...this team is not losing due to hustle and effort..just undermanned.

Not sure what tonight will show, but this is plus/minus the past 5 games:

Patterson: +2, +14, -3, +16, +3 (Total: +32)

Joseph: +8, -11, -9, -8, -7 (Total: -27)

I bet tonight's number are similar. That's with G playing PG, and Patterson on the floor, I'm assuming for the most part whenever Joseph is off, Patterson is on the court (and G steps over to PG).
I'm not giving up on joseph, but I understand the positives buss brings. It's just tough seeing him struggle so much to score. Other than that his defense and passing has been solid. He has shown to be very heady attempting to get the ball to christmas.

I could be blind, but there was a part in the first half right after BJ got subbed out where Mike got subbed out and I'm pretty positive Buss played the wing for like 5 possessions. Was I blind???

That is a good point. It does seem that it is a struggle to get open looks. Lots of energy exerted to get a basket even if it is a Cooney or Rak Herculean effort 1-on-1 play.

I'm not giving up on joseph, but I understand the positives buss brings. It's just tough seeing him struggle so much to score. Other than that his defense and passing has been solid. He has shown to be very heady attempting to get the ball to christmas.

I could be blind, but there was a part in the first half right after BJ got subbed out where Mike got subbed out and I'm pretty positive Buss played the wing for like 5 possessions. Was I blind???

Agree, Buss' passing game, and aggresivness is good in tight situations and for speeding up the ball and threading the needle some. It shows he has alittle bit of point skills. And hes much more ready physically in traffic then joseph its night and day.

Last edited:
Eagles20 said:
I'm not giving up on joseph, but I understand the positives buss brings. It's just tough seeing him struggle so much to score. Other than that his defense and passing has been solid. He has shown to be very heady attempting to get the ball to christmas. I could be blind, but there was a part in the first half right after BJ got subbed out where Mike got subbed out and I'm pretty positive Buss played the wing for like 5 possessions. Was I blind???

Joseph will improve. It's essential for the future of the program.

Joseph may be struggling, but Buss will never be a point guard.

Never.

His future is as a backup to Cooney and Malachi.

Nope - not blind. We had him in the back of the zone. I think they were playing so well at the time JB wanted to keep him on the floor - and get some blow for everyone else.

If Buss could just be mildly competent shooting we would be in such a better place. That five footer he bricked was painful. I did think his first or second three was going down though. He didn't really take any bad shots - well, bad as in they were open, I suppose any shot he takes is bad. :)

The defense is just so much better, as is the ball movement at times. He's also a better passer than Joseph. I don't know...Joseph is better than he's played of late though. I'm just not sure how much.

Never.

Honestly, I don't think Joseph will ever be a PG either. A back-up, sort of akin to G. That's my ceiling watching him play. He seems to lack the vision, court awareness you need as a PG. Maybe you can "teach" that, but I'm not so sure.

Hopefully I'm wrong though! I like the kid.

Never.

I never said buss is a point guard...I not sure if joseph is a point guard either.

Nope - not blind. We had him in the back of the zone. I think they were playing so well at the time JB wanted to keep him on the floor - and get some blow for everyone else.

If Buss could just be mildly competent shooting we would be in such a better place. That five footer he bricked was painful. I did think his first or second three was going down though. He didn't really take any bad shots - well, bad as in they were open, I suppose any shot he takes is bad. :)

The defense is just so much better, as is the ball movement at times. He's also a better passer than Joseph. I don't know...Joseph is better than he's played of late though. I'm just not sure how much.

If the rim was 6 feet wide buss would be a 35% shooter

If the rim was 6 feet wide buss would be a 35% shooter

It's so painful watching him shoot. I honestly feel good for him whenever the shot looks reasonably close to going in.

That's NEVER a good sign. It's like how you feel when the walk-ons shoot.

It's so painful watching him shoot. I honestly feel good for him whenever the shot looks reasonably close to going in.

That's NEVER a good sign. It's like how you feel when the walk-ons shoot.

I better be careful, people might call me out for snide comments about our players

The odd thing is his shot really does look good.

Call me crazy, but it looks better than cooney's. Obviously, it doesn't matter how it goes in, as long as it goes in (see redd,Michael).

Regarding executing and getting better shots, it's because they finally realized they could pound it inside at any point.

We have two legitimate forwards who actually play: Rakeem and Roberson. Gbinije is a guard forced into playing forward, like we sometimes had to do with Rautins. As then, so now: a guard forced to play at the back of the zone is going to get exploited by bigger players.

We just didn't have the big bodies to stop them from dominating from 12 feet in, and unfortunately that coincided with UNC having an uncharacteristically hot shooting night from deep. Paige and Britt combined to go 8-of-12 from three. That's not something that happens often.

Regarding executing and getting better shots, it's because they finally realized they could pound it inside at any point.

We have two legitimate forwards who actually play: Rakeem and Roberson. Gbinije is a guard forced into playing forward, like we sometimes had to do with Rautins. As then, so now: a guard forced to play at the back of the zone is going to get exploited by bigger players.

We just didn't have the big bodies to stop them from dominating from 12 feet in, and unfortunately that coincided with UNC having an uncharacteristically hot shooting night from deep. Paige and Britt combined to go 8-of-12 from three. That's not something that happens often.

I was surprised to see UNC shoot it so well.

G had been holding his own through the non-conference, but definitely has had more trouble since the ACC slate started. Not sure there is much to do rectify that (well, there is nothing to do tbh).