North Carolina is just better | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina is just better

As to the fans, where were they? Lot less than last night? Was it weather?
No freaking clue. At one point they had a bojangles give away and the crowd yelled louder then any point for the team. The weather wasn’t an issue. No accumulation and mainly rain. No excuse for the lack of showing up.

They are the defending champs, they are on their way to a number 2 seed and I believe they currently lead the country in quad 1 wins. A lot of teams seem to make them look good. They blow us away talent wise, period

You lost with me with the "defending champs" thing. the amount of talent they lost, esp. up front, was enormous.

No freaking clue. At one point they had a bojangles give away and the crowd yelled louder then any point for the team. The weather wasn’t an issue. No accumulation and mainly rain. No excuse for the lack of showing up.

The NYC alumni must have old balls. ;) (Spaulding, or Wilson or whatever)

That was easily the worst live sporting event I have ever been to in my life. The team was terrible the fans were even worse. Screw the fans that didn’t show up for the game. It was 2/3 UNC fans. When it was tied the place was silent. The fans (not this board) don’t deserve to be in the tourney. That was a joke. I knew when I spent the money but damn I am mad I wasted it. They should refund for that performance.

If the team had a chance to do something, they would have come. They aren't stupid. Do you really think the fans that created the MSG advantages during the BE Tournament suddenly didn't want to take a train ride to Barclays? I certainly don't.

The buzz for this program has been lost. People don't go to games to see teams that are not exciting and don't have a legitimate chance to win.

I don't blame Syracuse fans one bit. They can watch losing basketball on TV for a much cheaper cost than the dollars spent to watch the game live.

Bad luck that two of our worst teams during ACC years are the two years they have the tournament in NYC.

If the team had a chance to do something, they would have come. They aren't stupid. Do you really think the fans that created the MSG advantages during the BE Tournament suddenly didn't want to take a train ride to Barclays? I certainly don't.

The buzz for this program has been lost. People don't go to games to see teams that are not exciting and don't have a legitimate chance to win.

I don't blame Syracuse fans one bit. They can watch losing basketball on TV for a much cheaper cost than the dollars spent to watch the game live.

Bad luck that two of our worst teams during ACC years are the two years they have the tournament in NYC.

They had something to play for!!! They would have locked up a spot with a win. When Syracuse left the Big East fans B* tched and complained about not getting to go to MSG anymore and how unfair it was to have to play in Greensboro. The ACC basically moved to Barclay's to appease Cuse fans. On top of that the school takes all the important games in both football and basketball and moves them to the NYC area screwing the fans in Syracuse. Then when the team isn't a legit contender nobody can be bothered to show up for a game? Tickets were 6 dollars so the wasting money aspect isn't a valid argument. Not making the tourney won't stop the same ppl from complaining about how the program sucks now and we missed the tourney 2 years in a row. I am not saying we would have won if there were fans at the game...but it would have helped an over matched team. When the team gets back into contention ppl are going to start complaining that the tourney isn't in NYC anymore. Isn't that the definition of fair weather fans?

I understand that the team is hard to watch and the offense is boring but when did Syracuse basketball fans get so entitled that if we aren't in the top 25 it isn't worth coming out? When did we get that good? Also, if the past 3 years are indeed our down years...a final four and two years with a legit shot to make the tourney it could be a lot worse. Indiana is similar to us and they have been 18-16 and 16-15 the past two years. PITT is freaking 0-19 this year. It could be a lot worse and their are a lot of teams that would kill to be a game away from making the tourney.

Last edited:
I think Roy Williams style is behind the basketball curve, but it is particularly well suited against the zone and the personnel SU uses. It is basically the same formula Pitt and UConn were using in the mid-00s, big strong front court players getting to the rim or crashing the offensive glass. The athletic wings JB uses to cover lots of ground aren't in position and lack the strength to keep the out of the paint.

I think Roy Williams style is behind the basketball curve, but it is particularly well suited against the zone and the personnel SU uses. It is basically the same formula Pitt and UConn were using in the mid-00s, big strong front court players getting to the rim or crashing the offensive glass. The athletic wings JB uses to cover lots of ground aren't in position and lack the strength to keep the out of the paint.

UNC won the title last year and were in it against Villanova. Roy knows what he is doing. They have some real good skill players all over the place there and experience even though this year this isn’t some dominant UNC team. Their passing in particular is always good.

Last edited:
You lost with me with the "defending champs" thing. the amount of talent they lost, esp. up front, was enormous.

ok, if you want to drop that part, cool, but they are still a threat to repeat and are still head and shoulders above us and most teams in the conference and the country.

ok, if you want to drop that part, cool, but they are still a threat to repeat and are still head and shoulders above us and most teams in the conference and the country.

I mean against us, sure. I think they are in the mix of about 10-15 teams whom I would not be surprised if they win it all. None of them are head and shoulders above each other or the next 25-50 teams in line, IMO. I don’t consider SU to be a Top 50 caliber team. UNC, MSU, Michigan, Arizona, Purdue, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Xavier, Florida, maybe Cincinnati/Virginia/Kentucky, etc. Would not be surprised if any of those teams cut the nets down.

UNC is not that good. They’re better than us but that’s a team of spare parts imo. They won’t go anywhere

Sounds like sour grapes. UNC's front court are skilled guys, but they are far from physically strong/built, like the 'ol Pitt teams of the Big East that gave us nightmares, etc. Their front court is athletic, but not brawny.

The turning point of last night's game was Roy Williams induced when he decided to put constant ball pressure on Frank after the under 12 minute timeout. We were up 16-15 at the point, shortly thereafter we were down 9-10 points, where Carolina got many of those buckets off of our turnovers due to Frank's inability to handle the pressure, exposing his relatively weak handle. At the half, UNC was up 12-0 on points off turnovers...

UNC is not that good. They’re better than us but that’s a team of spare parts imo. They won’t go anywhere

They are not that good, but good enough I guess to start that "we got screwed" thread yesterday. ;)

I mean against us, sure. I think they are in the mix of about 10-15 teams whom I would not be surprised if they win it all. None of them are head and shoulders above each other or the next 25-50 teams in line, IMO. I don’t consider SU to be a Top 50 caliber team. UNC, MSU, Michigan, Arizona, Purdue, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Xavier, Florida, maybe Cincinnati/Virginia/Kentucky, etc. Would not be surprised if any of those teams cut the nets down.

we definitely aren't a top 50 team. I actually think the list of teams who can cut down the net is smaller than yours, NC being one of them, but agree in general. bottom line is we are an NIT team and that is very likely where we are headed.

sure they are better than us, however we sure make them look better than they are. they lost 7 conference games this year. . We make it very easy for them, allowing them do dictate every phase of the game. May just sits his un-athletic arse in the paint and doles out cookies to the baseline or 3 all game..and then hes sitting in perfect position for garbage boards.

that UNC team is nowhere near a vintage UNC team, but we sure make them look that way because we play right into their hands o both sides of the ball and in transition.
That has a lot to do with coaching no? Our HOF coach doesn't make adjustments. He can't retire soon enough.

I'm not as high on UNC as others here but we'll find out soon enough about that.

They lost 7 ACC games, so they're far from perfect. But they're just such a bad matchup for us. They know how to beat the zone and have the players who can do it. Who else this year was so consistent at getting the ball in the middle and had such great passers 1 to 5 on the floor.

We rattled them at home by pressing, but had no such option available last night. The foul trouble came way too early.

I didn't want to be on their side of the bracket, but each of us made our own bed to end up there.

we definitely aren't a top 50 team. I actually think the list of teams who can cut down the net is smaller than yours, NC being one of them, but agree in general. bottom line is we are an NIT team and that is very likely where we are headed.

It is probably smaller yes but I just wouldn’t really be surprised if any of the teams I listed won. They all have enough playmakers and talent either on offense or defense to get it done.

That has a lot to do with coaching no? Our HOF coach doesn't make adjustments. He can't retire soon enough.

TALENT. we don't have enough. sanctions plus JB's lame duck status before Hopkins left killed us. I have been following this team for almost 35 years, this is the least talented team we have had. if we are in this same predicament next year, then JB has to answer for that, because the roster should be much, much more talented and much deeper.

Sounds like sour grapes. UNC's front court are skilled guys, but they are far from physically strong/built, like the 'ol Pitt teams of the Big East that gave us nightmares, etc. Their front court is athletic, but not brawny.

The turning point of last night's game was Roy Williams induced when he decided to put constant ball pressure on Frank after the under 12 minute timeout. We were up 16-15 at the point, shortly thereafter we were down 9-10 points, where Carolina got many of those buckets off of our turnovers due to Frank's inability to handle the pressure, exposing his relatively weak handle. At the half, UNC was up 12-0 on points off turnovers...

Not sour grapes, opinion I have had for years. His teams take too many long twos early in the shot clock. As they pointed out in the broadcast, this team is getting the most points from 3s of any Roy Williams team, and even now, only 30%. He has more talented players and college basketball is still very wide open in terms of playing style, that is how he is able to still win at a high level without being very forward looking.

I think even with a good team we will struggle to beat them. Roy has figured JB out a bit. Their interior passing is very Pittsburgh esque. We need to adjust.

TALENT. we don't have enough. sanctions plus JB's lame duck status before Hopkins left killed us. I have been following this team for almost 35 years, this is the least talented team we have had. if we are in this same predicament next year, then JB has to answer for that, because the roster should be much, much more talented and much deeper.
I agree that we lack talent, however you gave to concede that JB is very stubborn and does not change when it's clear that change is needed.

Our starting PG had 7 turnovers. Cut those in half to start.
And almost all of those TOs were converted into easy, fast-break baskets.
I also found our repeated shot clock violations maddening. I realize our offensive game plan was to try to slow down the pace that UNC wanted to play at, but a possession where you don't even get off a shot is as good as a TO in my eyes. .

UNC won the title last year and were in it against Villanova. Roy knows what he is doing. They have some real good skill players all over the place there and experience even though this year this isn’t some dominant UNC team. Their passing in particular is always good.

5 final fours in 15 years at UNC, to go along with 3 national titles and Roy is behind the 8 ball. 2 of those coming within the last few years as you mentioned. I don't understand where people come up with this stuff.

We're pretty bad this year but there are only two teams I legit think we can't beat.. UNC and Duke.

I think we can beat UVA because of their style of play. We obviously can beat Clemson, NC State, VT, etc..

We needed one more win to feel safe, and of course, it had to be against one of those two teams. Meanwhile these other mediocre teams in our boat are playing a bunch of pretenders that wont do anything in the tournament but give them Q1 wins.

FWIW, Duke is the most talented team in the country and UNC has been playing like a F4 team lately, minus one half against Duke.

5 final fours in 15 years at UNC, to go along with 3 national titles and Roy is behind the 8 ball. 2 of those coming within the last few years as you mentioned. I don't understand where people come up with this stuff.

Yeah, just imagine if Roy was a bit more of a 'forward thinker/looker.'

Ya, IF the refs called hand checking I think it would have at least been somewhat competitive down the stretch. Sucks because this team is so mentally fragile that when things go south, it does so in a hurry. Hope we can somehow sneak in the tourny and get a win. Otherwise, if we are in the NIT why not just win the darn thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom