NOT a good look by Pete Thamel | Syracusefan.com

NOT a good look by Pete Thamel

What is his point in tweeting the link to a 2-year old story?

Wow. I didn't even read it all after seeing the gist of it. What is wrong with people?

What is his point in tweeting the link to a 2-year old story?

i think people are slightly overreacting. Im not really on Thamel's side - but its not like there wasnt some sort of reason to post it.

i think people are slightly overreacting. Im not really on Thamel's side - but its not like there wasnt some sort of reason to post it.

Other than kicking a kid when he's down, or drawing attention to yourself, what was the reason?

It's Twitter - isn't that all about self-promotion anyway?

His earlier posts took it seriously, also it's not really a negative story. Not sure what he did that was so egregious - he even talked about hoping nobody put GIFS up because of how awful it was prior to that.

Probably wouldn't have posted it, but Ware is suddenly a household name. Not the first time a feature was pulled out of the archives when it actually becomes relevant

No problem. Information is freedom.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, I agree with the tweet response that said "Awkward". Seemed like he was racing to get that self promotion out.

The story is relevant and worth telling, but can't it wait until tomorrow? Honestly, the purpose of the story, in terms of shining a light on presumably some dirty dealings in the NCAA, is completely lost because anyone who reads it today wont care because they're rightfully more worried about the horrible injury he just suffered.

And Thamel is generally one of the better sports journalists out there.

Other than kicking a kid when he's down, or drawing attention to yourself, what was the reason?

he linked a story about someone nobody in the country has ever heard of that he ironically wrote about 2 years ago.

It's Twitter - isn't that all about self-promotion anyway?

Right - he's taking advantage of a serious injury to a college kid to advance his own interests.

Pretty scummy move, IMO

Whether or not he is, this maneuver makes Pete look like a douche canoe!

he linked a story about someone nobody in the country has ever heard of that he ironically wrote about 2 years ago.

Pure coincidence that he did it today, I guess...

I can't speak to his intent, but agree with the "awkward" characterization.

Thamel, Cuse alum, is a total standup guy...genuinely cares about people and has a big heart. I knew him fairly well in college and can't think of too many other high achieving guys I respect more. He has spent a lot of time focusing on recruiting issues, i think partly because he has a genuine interest in the integrity of the game, but also because the stories are always interesting and of course generate a great deal of attention. But you look back at Thamel's best work it's been positive human interest stories and pieces that do a good job getting at the heart and soul of college athletics. This was a dumb move but I believe him 100% when he says... "In an earlier tweet, my sincere intent was simply to provide background on someone in the news. My thoughts are with Kevin Ware."

Right - he's taking advantage of a serious injury to a college kid to advance his own interests.

Pretty scummy move, IMO

I just don't see it.

Isn't that what everyone that Retweet's it is doing too? They could just private message him.

I imagine his mindset was, oh wow, I wrote a story once about this kid (i write stories about kids once in awhile, but not every kid that plays college hoops) I'll link it. I doubt it was malicious, especially considering his earlier tweets. I doubt he's sitting at home thinking, "I"m gonna get rich off this , people are finally going to know who PETE THAMEL is!!"

Thamel, Cuse alum, is a total standup guy...genuinely cares about people and has a big heart. I knew him fairly well in college and can't think of too many other high achieving guys I respect more. He has spent a lot of time focusing on recruiting issues, i think partly because he has a genuine interest in the integrity of the game, but also because the stories are always interesting and of course generate a great deal of attention. But you look back at Thamel's best work it's been positive human interest stories and pieces that do a good job getting at the heart and soul of college athletics. This was a dumb move but I believe him 100% when he says... "In an earlier tweet, my sincere intent was simply to provide background on someone in the news. My thoughts are with Kevin Ware."

I believe all of that. Still...what I said, not a good look...not end of the world, but just needs to think a little more.