NOT a good look by Pete Thamel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NOT a good look by Pete Thamel

I just don't see it.

Isn't that what everyone that Retweet's it is doing too? They could just private message him.

I imagine his mindset was, oh wow, I wrote a story once about this kid (i write stories about kids once in awhile, but not every kid that plays college hoops) I'll link it. I doubt it was malicious, especially considering his earlier tweets. I doubt he's sitting at home thinking, "I"m gonna get rich off this , people are finally going to know who PETE THAMEL is!!"

I don't care for Twitter, Facebook, etc., so I don't know how these sites work.

I also don't know what his intent was, although the timing is odd.

Maybe if Cuse wins it all, he can tweet links to the Lord & Taylor or NCAA investigation stories after the game.

Pure coincidence that he did it today, I guess...

no - thats the point. there is at least substance to it.

as his apology tweet stated.

i think people are slightly overreacting. Im not really on Thamel's side - but its not like there wasnt some sort of reason to post it.

It was self-serving and inappropriately timed. Pete should be ashamed of himself. Period.

I just don't see it.

Isn't that what everyone that Retweet's it is doing too? They could just private message him.

I imagine his mindset was, oh wow, I wrote a story once about this kid (i write stories about kids once in awhile, but not every kid that plays college hoops) I'll link it. I doubt it was malicious, especially considering his earlier tweets. I doubt he's sitting at home thinking, "I"m gonna get rich off this , people are finally going to know who PETE THAMEL is!!"

No offense, Ghost, but I don't see that as a reasonable interpretation. Kid suffered a catastrophic, gruesome injury--and that's an acceptable impetus to tweet old / bad / unrelated news about him?

Doesn't pass the sniff test. It was in tremendously poor taste.

Wow. You don't hit below the belt much worse than that. Shame on him.
Yeah but I see this as at worse, neutral in regard to Kevin Ware almost putting his family in a good light. Its Caldwell and the process that looks ugly.

Agree with LennX6 - a careful reading of the article shows that Thamel actually painted the family and Ware as victims of a corrupt process - you come out of it feeling sorry for Ware. Again dumb move especially when just looking at the headlines. But I seriously doubt the guy was trying to generate clicks for his former employer's website, just a quick reaction to post a bit of backstory. THIS is the problem with reporters using social media and competing with one another for likes/hits/retweets etc - newspaper writers used to have the luxury of rethinking a piece right up until the deadline not to mention the editorial review process. Tweeting by the media is simply a bad idea. Pete on the other hand is a very good reporter, and a genuinely great guy - I am sure he regrets his itchy trigger finger on this one.

I gotta say, in the world of twitter, this is what you get. I find it hypocritical to burn the guy down about this. What else is twitter for than things like this. "Hey I saw something and it relates to this other thing I saw before." I mean, I personally see absolutely no value whatsoever in what twitter brings to society, but I know I am a holed-up-in-a-cabin-in-the-woods psycho for that position. So anyone who is killing the guy for tweeting this while they happily tweet inane BS or use their accounts to pass judgment on people, things, events, etc need to look in the mirror.

No offense, Ghost, but I don't see that as a reasonable interpretation. Kid suffered a catastrophic, gruesome injury--and that's an acceptable impetus to tweet old / bad / unrelated news about him?

Doesn't pass the sniff test. It was in tremendously poor taste.

I get the point of view, I just don't think it was malicious - at all. I also don't think people genuinely go into some extended period of mourning over this stuff - I think ppl like to pretend they do, but you feel bad, and you move on. It doesn't mean you don't care or appreciate all the suffering Ware is enduring or his family for having watched it.

Tomorrow you'll be at the water cooler talking about how gruesome it was and if that devolves into a conversation about UL, or Ware in general (how u love or hate his style of play), or reminiscing about other gruesome injuries, it's normal. I don't think ppl are being insensitive because it sparks memories of something else. And for Thamel that was an article he wrote two years ago which in NO WAY was slamming the kid.

It was Twitter - he tweeted about something that came to mind in the wake of it all. That's what Twitter is - a brain dump.

I don't think Thamel needs to gain readers like that. I just don't. If it's some dork's blog - maybe it's in bad taste - even then, depends on circumstance imo.