Not pleased with Shafer hire in light of Hackett | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not pleased with Shafer hire in light of Hackett

RF...what choice do have now but hope SS is the right guy for the job? Until proven otherwise, he has my support.

The unknown always manifests uncertainty and fear in all of us. Unfortunately, in this situation there is nothing we can do but wait...the situation is completely beyond our control.

Like SS said in his introductory press conference four years ago ...he advices his players to only worry about what they can control. It's an axiom I've always used and preached to my family and staff I've managed. So, for now, I'm going to take a deep breath, relax and let it all play out. With fingers crossed, of course.

Support has nothing to do with it for me. I'll watch every second of every game [even when we lose]. I will get to all the games I can, and actively support the team, follow recruiting, etc.

Tomcat in his post yesterday expressed concern about Shafer as a recruiter. I don't know which players he's brought in, or whether this is a valid concern, but it DOES sound like a concern.

I hope that in two years, we'll reflect on this and be pretty confident we hired the right guy.

Support has nothing to do with it for me. I'll watch every second of every game [even when we lose]. I will get to all the games I can, and actively support the team, follow recruiting, etc.

Tomcat in his post yesterday expressed concern about Shafer as a recruiter. I don't know which players he's brought in, or whether this is a valid concern, but it DOES sound like a concern.

I hope that in two years, we'll reflect on this and be pretty confident we hired the right guy.
BTW, I wasn't is any way suggesting that you wouldn't continue to support the program.

FTR, like you, I stay to the very end of every game I attend...much to the chagrin of my tailgate partners ;-)

Shafer is our Florida recruiter as well as Ohio. Believe he's credited with most if not all of our Florida kids.

If this had been after the 1st Pinstripe Bowl win? Shafer was the reason we were any good that year.

Longer track record of success here and elsewhere. Easy choice, really.

Just to clarify [based upon how you seemed to interpret my post]--I'm not arguing Hackett versus Shafer. I'm talking about Shafer as a function of other, external candidates.

Yeah, but grabbing an external guy means scrapping everything DM laid out. The very foundation. That would be far more disruptive. Plus, Shafer is a known quantity to everyone. Mr External Candidate could easily turn out to be GRob 2.

Curious as to how people would feel if Hackett were hired as the HC and DM took Shafer with him to Buffalo?

This is exactly what is going to happen. Not good for SU

Regarding Shafer and recruiting, I said I thought he would do reasonably well recruiting. The drawback with him here is that he is not a NE guy.

That can be addressed in great part by careful selection of his staff. I hope we get one or two guys with ties to the Northeast or at least Florida once the new staff is officially in place. DM tended to pick coaches who were excellent doing coaching on the field but I think he discounted ability to recruit/contacts in key recruiting areas more than I would like.

A great staff has a mix of coaches who are great at teaching, great with game time X and O stuff and coaches who are great recruiters. We are short on the great recruiter part of the equation right now, IMHO.

My opinion only, but the main benefit about hiring in-house [versus conducting a national search for perhaps a better qualified HC] was the continuity it would have on the staff. In that regard, it made sense to hire Shafer to stabilize recruiting and keep as much the same as possible on the staff.

Losing Hackett undermines the benefit of hiring Shafer quickly, IMO.

And apologies if this sentiment has been expressed elsewhere--haven't had time to read the multitude of posts on the Hackett news.
Hackett could have been gone next year if not this... the hiring of Shafer should stand on its own...he's either a good coach or not.

PS: I think Shafer was a good choice.

Rich Rod was a genius at West Virginia, went to Michigan didn't like Shafer's defensive idea's, we exchanged Shafer for GROB. GROB went to Michigan and Rich got fired, Shafer came here and Marrone got an NFL job.

Regarding Shafer and recruiting, I said I thought he would do reasonably well recruiting. The drawback with him here is that he is not a NE guy.

That can be addressed in great part by careful selection of his staff. I hope we get one or two guys with ties to the Northeast or at least Florida once the new staff is officially in place. DM tended to pick coaches who were excellent doing coaching on the field but I think he discounted ability to recruit/contacts in key recruiting areas more than I would like.

A great staff has a mix of coaches who are great at teaching, great with game time X and O stuff and coaches who are great recruiters. We are short on the great recruiter part of the equation right now, IMHO.

I don't know if discounted is the right word, but I agree that he went with guys that were teachers ahead of recruiters. I think that's what he determined he needed more given some of the other issues in the program.

My opinion only, but the main benefit about hiring in-house [versus conducting a national search for perhaps a better qualified HC] was the continuity it would have on the staff. In that regard, it made sense to hire Shafer to stabilize recruiting and keep as much the same as possible on the staff.

Losing Hackett undermines the benefit of hiring Shafer quickly, IMO.

And apologies if this sentiment has been expressed elsewhere--haven't had time to read the multitude of posts on the Hackett news.
I respect all of your post but i do not agree with you. Hack is like Dougs Son and is an NFL kid all the way. I doubt that there is much that could have been done to retain him. Once the decision was made to Hire Shafer which was the right call, it was all up to The Big full of Balogne. This is all on him not on Syracuse.

Just because Hack connected with a few recruits does not make him HC material. For gosh sakes he couldnt call a game to save his life the first few years. Didnt use his personel well was marginal at best until the second half of this year. Ok the kid recruited and connected with the QB's but what purchase would Hack have in hiring assistant coaches, or with HS coaches. The answer is not much. He is a kid smart yes but he is in no way ready to run a division one football program.

Rich Rod was a genius at West Virginia, went to Michigan didn't like Shafer's defensive idea's, we exchanged Shafer for GROB. GROB went to Michigan and Rich got fired, Shafer came here and Marrone got an NFL job.
Wow really good post

Just because Hack connected with a few recruits does not make him HC material. For gosh sakes he couldnt call a game to save his life the first few years. Didnt use his personel well was marginal at best until the second half of this year. Ok the kid recruited and connected with the QB's but what purchase would Hack have in hiring assistant coaches, or with HS coaches. The answer is not much. He is a kid smart yes but he is in no way ready to run a division one football program.

How on earth did you get that interpretation from the post that you responded to?