Not so fast, my friend | Syracusefan.com

Not so fast, my friend

SWC75

Bored Historian
On ESPN Sports reporters, one of them, (I think his name is Howard Bryant), said that to find a comparison to this Kentucky team in terms of how much better they've been than anyobdy all season, you'd have to look back past even the Florida teams that won two in a row to the Larry Johnson UNLV teams.

when is the last time the #1 overall seed had all of the following happen to them:
#2 overall seed loses starting center 2 days before tournament starts
#3 overall seed loses starting point guard in round of 32, starting pf re-aggravates a serious wrist injury, 2 months after starting SG goes down for the season with a torn ACL
#4 overall seed loses key guard off bench with torn ACL week before tournament
#2 seed in their bracket loses to #15 seed in first round
#2 seed in bottom bracket on their side loses to a #15 seed in first round
#4 seed in their bracket loses their starting point guard a week before the tournament to a torn ACL
Play a #4 seed in the Final Four
NO INJURIES, SUSPENSIONS, INCIDENTS for the #1 overall team that goes 6.5 players deep.
How the hell does this team get THAT lucky? Injuries and upsets all around them, they walk to the title game to play a team they already easily beat months ago. Merry F***ing christmas, UK

edit: if you're wondering which teams I'm referring to,

SU
UNC
MSU
Duke
Mizzou
IU
UL

Wow, great analysis. Didn't realize all of those things lined up for them.

when is the last time the #1 overall seed had all of the following happen to them:
#3 overall seed loses starting point guard in round of 32, starting pf re-aggravates a serious wrist injury, 2 months after starting SG goes down for the season with a torn ACL
#4 seed in their bracket loses their starting point guard a week before the tournament to a torn ACL
NO INJURIES, SUSPENSIONS, INCIDENTS for the #1 overall team that goes 6.5 players deep.
How the hell does this team get THAT lucky? Injuries and upsets all around them, they walk to the title game to play a team they already easily beat months ago. Merry F***ing christmas, UK

Last year the national champion got to play a #8 seed in the championship game.

Last year the national champion got to play a #8 seed in the championship game.
All season long people spoke about 2-3 teams that had the talent to beat UK... Cuse, UNC, OSU... all on the other side of UK's bracket

How quickly people forget the last team that was billed as the most talented in the last 20 years, '08-'09 UNC. They were preseason #1 and took it to a good Mich St. team in the national championship game.

2009 UNC was the same team that got obliterated by Kansas the year before.

1996 Kentucky would destroy 2012 Kentucky.

Not so sure about that...

I am. Better coach, better talent. McCarty was the eleventh man.

I think it was much the same except that they added 2 or 3 McDonald's All-Americans to the roster, but since they actually had guys returning (unlike Kentucky) it merely added to their depth. I agree with you, 1996 Kentucky crushes 2012. Just as JB said recently, teams now aren't as good as they used to be because of the number of early entries into the draft.

I must say if Syracuse had their path (W. Ky, Iowa St, Indiana, Baylor, Louisville) to the final game, they'd probably be there too. Even without Fab.

Merry F***ing christmas, UK

Its christmas Theo, its the time or miracles. So be of good cheer and tell me when you hit the last lock

Im sorry but any time i can do lines from Die hard i cant help myself

Its christmas Theo, its the time or miracles. So be of good cheer and tell me when you hit the last lock

Im sorry but any time i can do lines from Die hard i cant help myself

**NSFW language**

**NSFW language**

You are the man, dude

That is my movie. Bruce willis is my idol. John Mcclane is the guy everyone of us guys want to be. Kill the bad guys and deliver a joke at the same time

To use an objective measure, Pomeroy's ratings, this years Kentucky team is the 20th best in the last decade. Kansas 2008 is the top rated team, UNC 05, UNC 07, Duke 04 and Memphis 08 round out the top 5.

I am. Better coach, better talent. McCarty was the eleventh man.

Not sure where you're coming from with that. McCarty was third on that team in minutes played and scoring behind Tony Delk and Antoine Walker.

You are the man, dude

That is my movie. Bruce willis is my idol. John Mcclane is the guy everyone of us guys want to be. Kill the bad guys and deliver a joke at the same time
John McClane is not someone I want to be. There are many more fictional personalities way cooler than John McClane. He would be killed immediately if James Bond was out for him.

edit: if you're wondering which teams I'm referring to,

SU
UNC
MSU
Duke
Mizzou
IU
UL

It will be fun for everyone else in 5 years when we get to watch the NCAA vacate all of Calipari's tenure at UK.

I really doubt it.

That 1996 Kentucky was great, no question about it. But they tend to be overrated when discusssed. Extremely deep, but no true stars.

PG Anthony Epps, 6-2, Jr. - Never played in the NBA
SG Tony Delk, 6-2, Sr. - A solid 10-year NBA career as a journeyman / reserve, nothing spectacular
SF Ron Mercer, 6-7, Fr. - Lottery pick in 1997, started out really well but then tapered off and retired after nine seasons. Disappointing career based on where he was drafted.
PF Antoine Walker, 6-8, So. - Probably the closest thing to a "star" on the team. Lottery pick in 96, three-time all-star. Not HOF worthy
C Walter McCarty, 6-11, Sr. - 10-year NBA career as a journeyman / reserve

PG Wayne Turner, 6-2, Fr. - Undrafted, played a total of 3 games in the NBA (1999-00)
SG Jeff Sheppard, 6-4, Jr. - Undrafted, played a total of 18 games in the NBA (1998-99)
SF Derek Anderson, 6-4, Jr. - First-round pick in 1997, good 11-year NBA career. No all-star games
F Allen Edwards, 6-5, So. - Never played in the NBA
C Mark Pope, Sr. - Spent six years in the NBA as a journeyman

This current Kentucky team - while not as deep - has three likely lottery picks including the two top picks in the upcoming 2012 draft (Davis, Gilchrist) and SIX potential first-rounders. That is absolutely disgusting. And Wiltjer may be a first-round pick in the future. The 96 team had just three first-round picks (one lottery pick).

Not saying the 96 UK team wasn't better, but to say they would destroy the 12 team - nah.

Let’s wait till the draft to see where Gilchrist and the rest go. Davis is a lock at 1.

You just listed eight guys who played in the NBA. Five of whom played for a decade.

The 1996 team lost two games in an era where kids stayed more than a year. Aside from us they destroyed everyone they played in the dance, again in a time when kids stuck around.

Yeah the game wouldn't be close.

I really doubt it.

That 1996 Kentucky was great, no question about it. But they tend to be overrated when discusssed. Extremely deep, but no true stars.

SG Tony Delk, 6-2, Sr. - A solid 10-year NBA career as a journeyman / reserve, nothing spectacular
SF Ron Mercer, 6-7, Fr. - Lottery pick in 1997, started out really well but then tapered off and retired after nine seasons. Disappointing career based on where he was drafted.
PF Antoine Walker, 6-8, So. - Probably the closest thing to a "star" on the team. Lottery pick in 96, three-time all-star. Not HOF worthy

PG Wayne Turner, 6-2, Fr. - Undrafted, played a total of 3 games in the NBA (1999-00)
SG Jeff Sheppard, 6-4, Jr. - Undrafted, played a total of 18 games in the NBA (1998-99)
SF Derek Anderson, 6-4, Jr. - First-round pick in 1997, good 11-year NBA career. No all-star games

This current Kentucky team - while not as deep - has three likely lottery picks including the two top picks in the upcoming 2012 draft (Davis, Gilchrist) and SIX potential first-rounders. That is absolutely disgusting. And Wiltjer may be a first-round pick in the future. The 96 team had just three first-round picks (one lottery pick).

Not saying the 96 UK team wasn't better, but to say they would destroy the 12 team - nah.

Walker is the biggest name from '96. He had a good career but threw it all away:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195981/index.htm

The '96 Kentucky team has always been exaulted as being maybe the most talented team ever based on the number of NBA player but that is like calling last year's Big East the greatest league ever because of the number of NCAA teams.

You just listed eight guys who played in the NBA. Five of whom played for a decade.

The 1996 team lost two games in an era where kids stayed more than a year. Aside from us they destroyed everyone they played in the dance, again in a time when kids stuck around.

Yeah the game wouldn't be close.

8 out of a 10 man rotation.

The current UK team has 7 future NBA players out of an 8 man rotation.

And I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Davis and Gilchrist both have better careers than any of those 96 players. Jones and Teague may also.

I really doubt it.

You're comparing the 2012 players' successes in college to the 1996 players' successes in the NBA. We know that the draft is more watered down now because of the mass exodus of early entries and we don't know how good the current crop of Kentucky kids will be in the NBA. Davis is the only guy anyone is calling can't miss in whole draft. That 1996 team was certainly better than the Louisville team that played them tough. It's deep enough where Pitino would've pressed them for 40 minutes and they had a bunch of shooters that would've hit the three. They had enough depth inside to play Davis physically and they had guys that would actually finish inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom