Not sure if this has been posted | Syracusefan.com

Not sure if this has been posted

ND vs the ACC in the Orange Bowl every year has possibilities.

What happens if ND qualifies for the Final Four? What if ND is 6-6?

I was thinking that there would have to be a minimum record requirement for Notre Dame - I was thinking 7-5.

At Large if ND is Final 4 (shouldn't be hard to attract someone to the Orange Bowl).

Would need to walk a fine line on the other side. It's basically going to be up to ND to decide what # of wins they think is fair. They hold the cards.

ND also basically has to have the freedom to opt out if they want to do something else any given year.

If all of that is written in, I don't see the risk from ND's side, and I think most years they would play in that bowl.

At Large if ND is Final 4 (shouldn't be hard to attract someone to the Orange Bowl).

Would need to walk a fine line on the other side. It's basically going to be up to ND to decide what # of wins they think is fair. They hold the cards.

ND also basically has to have the freedom to opt out if they want to do something else any given year.

If all of that is written in, I don't see the risk from ND's side, and I think most years they would play in that bowl.

"At Large" scares me. What if the Top 3-4 teams from the B1G, SEC, and Bevo12 are already contracted to other bowls?

Hope all that is true, I should add. If that poster is legit and the VA AD isn't getting the wool pulled over his eyes, we should be golden.

This is a good idea. This is the kind of outside the box forward thinking that the BE probably lacked.

Bowls are about ratings and tickets. Nobody does either better than ND. This bowl is a guaranteed sell out every year, and a guaranteed high ratings grabber.

It's likely that ND will never be in the top 4 tourney, and it's also likely that ND will be at least 8-4 most years. This means that most of the time they will be good enough to draw an audience, but not good enough to go to the top 4 tourney.

Also, given NBC's ties to ND, you can bet you will have 2 very interested bidders in the TV rights.

Given what's out there, this is a really nice solution.

"At Large" scares me. What if the Top 3-4 teams from the B1G, SEC, and Bevo12 are already contracted to other bowls?

Given that there's a Final 4 now, and depending on the logistics of that, watching how bowls align themselves will be an interesting exercise. Final 4 will certainly drown out some (obviously not all) interest in bowls. Will leagues be quick to continue aligning to bowls? What will the payouts be?

Yeah there are no at larges any more. It would end up being a 6-6 team that isn't contractually tied to a Bowl. I rather see the ACC champ play the next 3rd best SEC team than ND. The only choice ND really has is to become part of the Bowl lineup of the conference where their Olympic sports reside. So that "or" currently is the BE. I want no part of playing ND/BE champ in the Orange Bowl. Let the BE champ play in the Champs Bowl where they belong. I will be more than happy to send the ACC #2 there.

Given that there's a Final 4 now, and depending on the logistics of that, watching how bowls align themselves will be an interesting exercise. Final 4 will certainly drown out some (obviously not all) interest in bowls. Will leagues be quick to continue aligning to bowls? What will the payouts be?

I'm really not sure that things are changing nearly to the degree that people think. The whole reason the BCS existed was to provide (1) a #1 vs. #2 matchup, and (2) stability and revenue for everyone who may have previously had a bowl game with small national title implications (the old #2 vs. #5 and #3 vs. #7 games when #1 was playing, say, #4).

So now we'll have a final four, and everyone else lining up guaranteed matchups -- just like when the Big 8 champ played in the Orange bowl every year, or the SEC champ played in the Sugar, etc.

I just think that the notion of the Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12 and Big XII creating a 4-team, 4-conference system for determining a title to be far-fetched. Everything the BCS has done in recent years has been to expand access, not limit it. There are significant legal considerations at play. And the notion that those 4 leagues are destined to go to 16 teams each is far-fetched as well. I mean it may happen, but to assume that there is some Montgomery Burns-like puppet master engineering it is silly Internet conspiracy theory nonsense.

Great... so now Syracuse will have to share its lax TV revenue! :crazy:

:)