Not that it concerns SU, but. . . | Syracusefan.com

Not that it concerns SU, but. . .

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
will the Big East re-name itself? Obviously, Boise and San Diego are hardly in the East (although, neither are Louisville, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, DePaul, etc).

I heard a good one about the remnants of the Western left-behinds: The merger of the MWC and Conference-USA should be called Conference-What.

will the Big East re-name itself? Obviously, Boise and San Diego are hardly in the East (although, neither are Louisville, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, DePaul, etc).

I heard a good one about the remnants of the Western left-behinds: The merger of the MWC and Conference-USA should be called Conference-What.

The Big East said yesterday that they wouldn't change because of brand recognition.

I like The Marinara Sauce Conference

With the byline "Doesn't taste very good but a true melting pot"

Nope. The brand is still strong.

Colorado is not on the Pacific Coast - no name change there.

The concern over geography these days is pointless - it's about TV, which has no boundries.

The Big Ugly.

I have to tell you, I disagree completely.

There is nothing "ugly" about the new BE Football Conference.

It has become a very appealing conference with large markets, better teams and the likelihood of a very good TV contract. (the TV money is the primary reason Boise State joined).

The conventional wisdom on this board is "ugly," but the reality is quite different.

Marinatto deserves a lot of credit for creating a very good national conference.

It has become a very appealing conference with large markets, better teams and the likelihood of a very good TV contract. (the TV money is the primary reason Boise State joined).

The conventional wisdom on this board is "ugly," but the reality is quite different.

Marinatto deserves a lot of credit for creating a very good national conference.

He made Lemonade out of lemons...this new conference is still a marriage of convenience. Nothing screams...mmm I'll stay in the BE if the ACC, B12 or Pac12 come calling. I agree that he has maximized what he had to deal with. Too bad both BYU and USAFA aren't joining.

Nah, it's ugly. It might not be a bad conference, but it's ugly.

Do you think SU should be staying in the new Big East vs leaving for the ACC then?
I get your point about TV markets, but the new Big East certainly ain't pretty. It's a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier teams in those big markets.

i usually agree with you, but youre off your rocker on this one.

all the new schools have no national presence. and you didnt notice boise joinied 1 day after not getting a bcs bid?? if they made it on there own, the were likely more than happy enough to keep the status quo.

the conference formally know as the bmw is a complete joke.

This goes here now.
SunBeastConf.jpg

i usually agree with you, but youre off your rocker on this one.

all the new schools have no national presence. and you didnt notice boise joinied 1 day after not getting a bcs bid?? if they made it on there own, the were likely more than happy enough to keep the status quo.

the conference formally know as the bmw is a complete joke.

Boise State waited to see if it would get the bid and then when it didn't made the decision to joint the BE the very next day?

No. That's not how it happened. A decision like that is not made in one day.

The fact is that Boise committed weeks before.

And the likelihood is that there will be no more AQs at some point in the near future.

Despite that Boise made the move because of the anticipated TV money.

Review it again, I think you'll agree with me on this one.

Do you think SU should be staying in the new Big East vs leaving for the ACC then?
I get your point about TV markets, but the new Big East certainly ain't pretty. It's a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier teams in those big markets.

No, I like the move to the ACC.

I think right now it's the far better conference.

And I've wanted it since we came so close in 2003.

But, I wouldn't be totally crushed if things had worked out differently and SU remained in a conference that now has such an interesting national flavor to it.

He made Lemonade out of lemons...this new conference is still a marriage of convenience. Nothing screams...mmm I'll stay in the BE if the ACC, B12 or Pac12 come calling. I agree that he has maximized what he had to deal with. Too bad both BYU and USAFA aren't joining.

Let me break this to you - they are all now marriages of convenience.

Do you think that Indiana was dying to have Nebraska in its conference? I can tell you the answer - no.

Do you think Oregon was dying to have Colorado in its conference? No.

And, do you think Florida was dying to have Mizzou in its conference? The answer again is no.

Forget tradition. Forget geography. It's about TV and eyeballs, and absolutely the convenience and profitability of those two factors.
And if the BE gets a really good TV contract, which is possible given the markets, I'm no so sure that teams will leave quickly if another conference calls. It will depend upon the numbers and that's it.

SU is 0 - infinity when they travel West of the Mississippi.

Since the newbies are coming for 2013, and we won't be released until 2014 ... you know damn well the BE will have us playing a road game in either Boise or San Diego that season (thanks for the parting gift).

But, I wouldn't be totally crushed if things had worked out differently and SU remained in a conference that now has such an interesting national flavor to it.

I agree with you there. From an on the feild product the new teams (football wise) make it a decent conference again.

Aside from Boise State having some national appeal I just don't see how that will translate to eyeballs actually watching unless said BE team is playing Boise State that week.

If Boise State comes in and starts rolling off 8 win seasons in the BE then people will go back to not caring quickly unless another top 10 team emerges.

SU is 0 - infinity when they travel West of the Mississippi.

Since the newbies are coming for 2013, and we won't be released until 2014 ... you know damn well the BE will have us playing a road game in either Boise or San Diego that season (thanks for the parting gift).

I wonder if they could though, being that we didn't get a vote in inducting said teams. If we are forced to stay and play them they should be scheduled in the dome.

I agree with you there. From an on the feild product the new teams (football wise) make it a decent conference again.

Aside from Boise State having some national appeal I just don't see how that will translate to eyeballs actually watching unless said BE team is playing Boise State that week.

If Boise State comes in and starts rolling off 8 win seasons in the BE then people will go back to not caring quickly unless another top 10 team emerges.

You're nuts. Getting out of this shitshow is the best thing that can happen to us.

You're nuts. Getting out of this shitshow is the best thing that can happen to us.

At what point in that comment, or any I've ever made have I stated to wanting SU to not go to the ACC? You won't find it.

Just agreed with his view of not being crushed if it hadn't played out like it did, but then countered with how Boise State is the only new team that truly matters in the equation.

Let me break this to you - they are all now marriages of convenience.

Do you think that Indiana was dying to have Nebraska in its conference? I can tell you the answer - no.

Do you think Oregon was dying to have Colorado in its conference? No.

And, do you think Florida was dying to have Mizzou in its conference? The answer again is no.

Forget tradition. Forget geography. It's about TV and eyeballs, and absolutely the convenience and profitability of those two factors.
And if the BE gets a really good TV contract, which is possible given the markets, I'm no so sure that teams will leave quickly if another conference calls. It will depend upon the numbers and that's it.
If the new BCS (or whatever it might be called) follows the path indicated by the various trial balloons that have been floated, there will be no AQ's. Which means that every year there will be 3 SEC teams, 2-3 Big 10 teams, 2 Big 12 teams, 2 Pac-12 teams and usually 1 ACC team (unless FSU & Miami both bounce back, as has been promised for nearly a decade). Not much room left there for anyone else. If Boise finds that their outcomes are not improved, their marriage-of-convenience may have a very short life.

At what point in that comment, or any I've ever made have I stated to wanting SU to not go to the ACC? You won't find it.

Just agreed with his view of not being crushed if it hadn't played out like it did, but then countered with how Boise State is the only new team that truly matters in the equation.

I'd have been crushed and would probably post "We really need to abandon this shitshow" at least five times a day. At least as much as the Sun Beast logo.

I'd have been crushed and would probably post "We really need to abandon this shitshow" at least five times a day. At least as much as the Sun Beast logo.

Mehhh. I'd cheer for the team regardless of conference affiliation. I just wouldn't plan as many trips to the Dome if I had less interest in who we were playing. With us moving to the ACC I'm actually as excited about conference games as I was for OOC games prior. Was hard to get amped up for the trip with UConn, Cinci, USF, etc. on the schedule.

Of course I'd cheer for the team, and agree on the conference matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom