Not unexpected | Syracusefan.com

Not unexpected

GoSU96

Living Legend
I've been saying for weeks they were going to run Uconn out of the gym.

Finally got the final piece of the puzzle in place, running the ball well. The defense has been playing at that level since USC and the offense has been moving the ball like that all year. All they needed to do was play a cleaner game and reduce the handful of bad plays. They don't need to be perfect, just cut down on the errors.

Loved the game plan. They only ran a couple of different plays, but they ran them very well.

Uconn has an excellent defense but that team had no chance once it got down two scores. Their offense is awful, there's not much anybody could do with what's on that team right now.

Couple of notes, D. Davis sucks, can't win when throwing to Lemon, Nassib needs to be benched, just watch his rating crater in conference.

The team played well, still was a little sloppy with the ball but overall a very nice game. It certainly was nice to see Leob in the game in a good way!

Now the kids get an extra day off to get ready for USF and I hope nobody did something foolish last night, this is always the time when a kid makes a dumb decision.

Smith isn't flashy but he seems to get good yardage...runs hard. And here I was reading that Marrone lost the team...

Great game, cut down on turnovers, get points in the red zone, no big special team blunders. While the two field goals in the first were frustrating it needs to be worst case scenario in the red zone. we can get to a bowl game

Same effort versus USF as far as red zone and turn overs we will win. I can see usf taking a beat down today versus lville

The key to the USF game is to tackle that damn qb and tackle hard and do not let him get away.

The key to the USF game is to tackle that damn qb and tackle hard and do not let him get away.

Well there is that too.. Pressure him but don't turn it over score in the red zone we will win

Well there is that too.. Pressure him but don't turn it over score in the red zone we will win

SU let that #10 guy get away too often for my taste and USF's qb is even better/stronger/faster. I think if SU can do this it will lead to more opportunities to enter the red zone. Stop their time of possession and do not let them get extra yards that keeps the clock moving and the ball in their hands.

SU let that #10 guy get away too often for my taste and USF's qb is even better/stronger/faster. I think if SU can do this it will lead to more opportunities to enter the red zone. Stop their time of possession and do not let them get extra yards that keeps the clock moving and the ball in their hands.

Yeah, but SU wasn't gunning to contain Whitmer. They will be gunning to keep Daniels behind the LoS.

Yeah, but SU wasn't gunning to contain Whitmer. They will be gunning to keep Daniels behind the LoS.

True but that also takes away the speed by playing angles thus not popping him hard.

If they keep running the ball well, it takes pressure off the passing game meaning less oppotunities for turnovers. Great game for everyone on orange side of field. Last nights game proves you don't have to throw the ball 40 times to be entertaining, score and win games.

Finally got the final piece of the puzzle in place, running the ball well. The defense has been playing at that level since USC and the offense has been moving the ball like that all year. All they needed to do was play a cleaner game and reduce the handful of bad plays. They don't need to be perfect, just cut down on the errors.

Loved the game plan. They only ran a couple of different plays, but they ran them very well.

Uconn has an excellent defense but that team had no chance once it got down two scores. Their offense is awful, there's not much anybody could do with what's on that team right now.

Couple of notes, D. Davis sucks, can't win when throwing to Lemon, Nassib needs to be benched, just watch his rating crater in conference.
you aren't really bragging are you? We have now beat Stony Brook, Pitt and UConn. We need to start beating decent teams and start recruiting good offensive players.

you aren't really bragging are you? We have now beat Stony Brook, Pitt and UConn. We need to start beating decent teams and start recruiting good offensive players.

Wow. You realize the offense put up 500 yards of offense against a statistically good defense, right? There are some pretty good players on that side of the ball.

Wow. You realize the offense put up 500 yards of offense against a statistically good defense, right? There are some pretty good players on that side of the ball.
Umass, buffalo, etc. But my main point was that those were grop recruits for the most part. Ryan, Lemon, Sales, Wales, we need some impact offensive players that Marrone can bring in.

Umass, buffalo, etc. But my main point was that those were grop recruits for the most part. Ryan, Lemon, Sales, Wales, we need some impact offensive players that Marrone can bring in.

Yeah, Smith, Broyld, Mackey, Trudo, Hickey, PTG sucked last night

I'm not sure I'd call the running game the "final piece of the puzzle" in the sense that I think special teams in general was a massive wart and turnovers/inconsistent execution has plagued this team all year. But it was certainly something where you could see pieces of this thing were there, but we were waiting for four quarters of good football. As you say, doesn't have to be error-free, just not error-filled.

I love Davis. I have no idea why people don't. The kid probably should be, in a perfect world, a special teamer and part-time player this year, breaking into the starting lineup next year. Unfortunately that's not where this team is. But he showed promise as a rook last year, has made a bunch of plays this year and will continue to improve.

As for what's on UConn -- to me it highlights how nice a job edsall did there. I know you're a P fan, but if we have no talent b/c of GRob (I don't exactly believe this), then they have to still have some residual talent b/c of Edsall. Can't have it both ways.

Yeah, Smith, Broyld, Mackey, Trudo, Hickey, PTG sucked last night
you aren't making the statement that those are guys you build an offense around, are you? What winning SEC team would want any of them? Maybe broyld. Maybe.

you aren't making the statement that those are guys you build an offense around, are you? What winning SEC team would want any of them? Maybe broyld. Maybe.

If youre trying to win the SEC in Syracuse NY then youre going to be severely dissapointed. We're trying to win the Big East/ACC. We were hammering Uconn running behind Hickey and Trudo last night, those guys are RS frosh and they were opening huge holes last night. Holes that Smitty and PTG accumulated some big time yard through. I'm happy to have those guys. Your point was that Marrone guys didnt produce like Grob guys and my point was simply that youre off base with that assessment. If you want to win the SEC 4 years after being the worst team in D1 then your goals need to be recalculated. The Dome wasnt built in a day.

Wales was class of 2010 and all Marrone. And Lemon may have committed under G-Rob, but Marrone's people certainly had to do some recruiting to keep him.

Smith had a few runs where if he were a step of two faster, he could have turned the corner and beat the safety, but he had a great game. Can't remember anyone other than broyld getting stopped at the LOS.

Wales was class of 2010 and all Marrone. And Lemon may have committed under G-Rob, but Marrone's people certainly had to do some recruiting to keep him.
Lemon was one of the very few GRob "verbals" that Marrone extended an offer to. Alex is a true senior as he's never red shirted.

We've got some here now but they're youngish and just starting to produce. The first Marrone recruiting classes were more focused on defense, because we were putrid, and those players have come along nicely.

I'm not sure I'd call the running game the "final piece of the puzzle" in the sense that I think special teams in general was a massive wart and turnovers/inconsistent execution has plagued this team all year. But it was certainly something where you could see pieces of this thing were there, but we were waiting for four quarters of good football. As you say, doesn't have to be error-free, just not error-filled.

I love Davis. I have no idea why people don't. The kid probably should be, in a perfect world, a special teamer and part-time player this year, breaking into the starting lineup next year. Unfortunately that's not where this team is. But he showed promise as a rook last year, has made a bunch of plays this year and will continue to improve.

As for what's on UConn -- to me it highlights how nice a job edsall did there. I know you're a P fan, but if we have no talent b/c of GRob (I don't exactly believe this), then they have to still have some residual talent b/c of Edsall. Can't have it both ways.

My comment was limited to the offense, in particular the QB situation.

What bragging? I said it was expected.

Tell Donnie hi.

Admit it, there's nothing Marrone could do that would make you happy.

What bragging? I said it was expected.

Tell Donnie hi.

Admit it, there's nothing Marrone could do that would make you happy.
of course there is. I root as much for him and the program as you do. I'm just not satisfied with where the program is at? Are you? There is a double edged sword. He took over a program at rock bottom. Yes. But that also allowed any improvement to be magnified. Who wouldn't look better than grob? He needs to do a lot more and this is year 4. We haven't beat a decent team this year. There is still time. As for Donnie, I met him once about 20 years ago. He is not a friend. Don't know him. But any fair person could see by the way he was treated by the head coach that it wasn't right. As I understand it, all he wanted was a meeting with the coach to find out what he did that Marrone was upset about. And Marrone wasn't man enough to meet him. If you are going to be an a-hole, you better win. And Marrone hasn't. And while we are at it, why don't you admit if Marrone went out an took a crap at the 50 yard line, you would say well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom