UCONN’s offense | Syracusefan.com

UCONN’s offense

nccusefan

Preferred Walk On
I hate that UCONN has been the most dominant team the last 25 years. They definitely have at least 2 lucky championship runs but watching the way they run offense is a thing of beauty. Really would like to see us bring in an offensive guru to be an offensive coordinator. Their movement, screening, cutting, and unselfishness in their half court sets really creates high quality shots from 2 and 3. Came accross this video today that really breaks down a few of their sets and shows why they have been so successful.

[

MEDIA=youtube]55WVapTINRQ[/MEDIA]

I hate that UCONN has been the most dominant team the last 25 years. They definitely have at least 2 lucky championship runs but watching the way they run offense is a thing of beauty. Really would like to see us bring in an offensive guru to be an offensive coordinator. Their movement, screening, cutting, and unselfishness in their half court sets really creates high quality shots from 2 and 3. Came accross this video today that really breaks down a few of their sets and shows why they have been so successful.

[

Thanks for posting this nccusefan

This is an awesome break down of UCONN's sets and well worth the time if you are interested in how UCONN does what they do...to everybody. As a former coach, the thing that is even more impressive is the decision making and the ability of the players to execute all the complex movement, screening and cutting with precision. Even though they are looking for set plays, a lot of that movement is continuity based and dependent on all the players reading and responding to the defense until there is a break down and a shot opens up. There are grinding the defense knowing that there will be multiple scoring opportunities as the defense makes mistakes. Best I've ever seen.

I'm kind of surprised more teams don't try to zone UCONN given how great their man offense is.

Thanks for posting this nccusefan

This is an awesome break down of UCONN's sets and well worth the time if you are interested in how UCONN does what they do...to everybody. As a former coach, the thing that is even more impressive is the decision making and the ability of the players to execute all the complex movement, screening and cutting with precision. Even though they are looking for set plays, a lot of that movement is continuity based and dependent on all the players reading and responding to the defense until there is a break down and a shot opens up. There are grinding the defense knowing that there will be multiple scoring opportunities as the defense makes mistakes. Best I've ever seen.

I'm kind of surprised more teams don't try to zone UCONN given how great their man offense is.
I agree zone could give them trouble but I think they move the ball and would still screen away from the ball. I would run a motion set very similar to their m2m offense to get Cam Spencer to the foul line. From there if our center stays back he turns and shoots. If we come up they cut from the weak-side baseline for a bounce pass or lob. Then the third option would be to either look strong-side corner for a 3 or weak side wing if guards collapse. Similar to what UVA used to do with Kihei Clark only with someone you have to respect as a shooter. The way they move the ball and buy into a playing as a team is fun to watch. Just wish it was Cuse playing this way and not UCONN.

It’s been two seasons. Maybe this offense is awesome; maybe they just had the right group of guys for it.

Either way, can we cap the UConn threads? This is like the 3rd or 4th one in a week or two talking about how great they are.

Their offense has greatly improved and is advanced compared to what every one else is doing. However, they have won the last 2 years because their D and rebounding create a lot of easy looks.

As great as their O is they did struggle to score more than they struggled to get stops and board.

Absolutely fascinating & beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. I don't think you need a team of 5 stars to run this, but they certainly have to buy in and make the difference in the seconds leading up to the actual shot.

Seems like you'd be better off reserving some energy for the first 12 seconds & then suddenly increasing the intensity. Otherwise, teams are getting worn out, running around in circles.

Also curious if reads are always occurring or only by certain people at certain points in the set. Fascinating stuff.

My son noted that UConn uses moving picks. They set a pick then quickly do a one-step roll as if doing a pick-and-roll but then roll again into another pick. This seems legal, but it is actually a moving pick.

My son noted that UConn uses moving picks. They set a pick then quickly do a one-step roll as if doing a pick-and-roll but then roll again into another pick. This seems legal, but it is actually a moving pick.

Dan Hurley would never use or teach underhanded tactics! How dare you! He only recruits upstanding young gentlemen and conducts himself accordingly.

Good eyes, thought I noticed that too. The Heat (notably that cheap artist Adebayo) do it a ton too.

Screens are like blocking in football; could probably be a moving screen / hold call on almost every play.

Their offense has greatly improved and is advanced compared to what every one else is doing. However, they have won the last 2 years because their D and rebounding create a lot of easy looks.

As great as their O is they did struggle to score more than they struggled to get stops and board.
They have recruited players that listen to the coach and buy into a team concept both sides of the floor.

Absolutely fascinating & beautiful. Thanks for sharing this. I don't think you need a team of 5 stars to run this, but they certainly have to buy in and make the difference in the seconds leading up to the actual shot.

Seems like you'd be better off reserving some energy for the first 12 seconds & then suddenly increasing the intensity. Otherwise, teams are getting worn out, running around in circles.

Also curious if reads are always occurring or only by certain people at certain points in the set. Fascinating stuff.
They definitely expend a lot more energy moving without the ball than we do.

Not being in practice it’s hard to know but I would guess they have multiple reads depending on what the defense does.

I did see that also. With the speed and all the movement going on it is a tough thing for officials to see and call on the court.

When we get called for moving pics it’s a high top of the key ball screen Which makes it a lot easier for the officials to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom