Nothing would be better for the program than for Nassib to get drafted in round 2 (or higher?) | Syracusefan.com

Nothing would be better for the program than for Nassib to get drafted in round 2 (or higher?)

Crusty

Living Legend
The better HS players are obviously most interested to see the players from a program that the NFL drafts in the first few rounds. While Chandler Jones was fantastic for the program, it would be even more spectacular if our QB got drafted high.

I have no idea how the NFL will view him but he has the size at 6" 3" 227 lbs, is smart, has a strong arm and proven poise when the game is on the line. He is also durable, which is not nothing these days.

Hope he gets a big paycheck and wish him the very best.

Nassib is the best quarterback Syracuse has had since Donovan McNabb. I hope Nassib gets drafted and has a nice pro career.

Nassib is talented but not to the freakish level of a guy like McNabb. I am really hoping that Ryan is a product of the Marrone system and coaching staff. I would love to see Syracuse turning out pro-style quarterbacks that get drafted every few years.

He'll kill it in the interviews and combine and may boost his stock to that level. He's definitely a 3rd-4th rounder at worst right now

and with their first pick the toronto argonauts select.....

You know you could see Belichick take him in round 3-4 and attempt to be Bradys heir apparent in 3-4 years.

You know you could see Belichick take him in round 3-4 and attempt to be Bradys heir apparent in 3-4 years.
I'm pretty sure they are already doing that with Ryan Mallett

I'll be very surprised if Ryan goes before the 6th round. 5th, tops.

I hope he proves me wrong. I don't think he will.

He will go round 4 just based on his smarts and physical strength. He won't Vince Young the Wonderlich ...

He will go round 4 just based on his smarts and physical strength. He won't Vince Young the Wonderlich ...
Wonderlic isn't everything. Greg McElroy scored a 43. Gabbert scored a 42, as did Drew Henson. Charlie Frye scored a 38 (mixing in some later picks here). Matt Flynn scored a 38.

Bottom line: let's not say Ryan will be a top 3 or 4 rounder because he is smart. It doesn't always translate.

And McNabb only scored a 14. Marino? 15. Same for Jim Kelly. Clearly it isn't everything.

(All numbers courtesy nflstatanalysis.net)

Wonderlic isn't everything. Greg McElroy scored a 43. Gabbert scored a 42, as did Drew Henson. Charlie Frye scored a 38 (mixing in some later picks here). Matt Flynn scored a 38.

Bottom line: let's not say Ryan will be a top 3 or 4 rounder because he is smart. It doesn't always translate.

And McNabb only scored a 14. Marino? 15. Same for Jim Kelly. Clearly it isn't everything.

(And I really, really hope Ryan has a great career...but I don't think he will be drafted in the top 4 rounds)

Which is why I also said physical strength ... Nassib can make all the throws necessary to play at the next level.

Which is why I also said physical strength ... Nassib can make all the throws necessary to play at the next level.
I agree. Ryan just needs to show consistency and touch at some point. His touch leaves something to be desired, and he's generally either red hot or ice cold with little in between.

He will do very well with the physical and mental tests. During this late run of games he has shown quite a bit in NFLish throws and ability to lead drives.

Hope he does well but I agree that he won't be off the board until the second day (or is there a third day now with the Friday night first round crap?).

I agree. Ryan just needs to show consistency and touch at some point. His touch leaves something to be desired, and he's generally either red hot or ice cold with little in between.

His touch is improving dramatically ... and he seems to be hotter more often than cold late in the season ... I still think he can sneak into round 4 because he is a well rounded QB. He needs to improve his pocket feel but he throws very well on the run, that laser he zipped to Sales last night was impressive. he will be a nice pickup late in the draft for someone even if it is just for scout team work.

The nfl isn't going to look at the games the way the fans do - example the mizzou game thread :bat:

They will look at his physical skills, physical stature, his offensive production over his career, his ability to improve dramatically from year to year, his ability to make plays when the game is on the line (his numbers/wins when behind in the 4th quarter is impressive and says a lot), and as bnoro said - he will kill it in the interviews. Those are the intangibles that the NFL will look at that fans forget when they're shredding the players and coaches to when the game isn't even freakin over.

what it really comes down to is who would be in front of him

They will look at his physical skills, physical stature, his offensive production over his career, his ability to improve dramatically from year to year, his ability to make plays when the game is on the line (his numbers/wins when behind in the 4th quarter is impressive and says a lot), and as bnoro said - he will kill it in the interviews. Those are the intangibles that the NFL will look at that fans forget when they're shredding the players and coaches to when the game isn't even freakin over.
The improvement is the thing that I think will matter.

He already has career bests in completions, completion % (which could change, but still), TDs, yards per attempt, etc. For as much as his deep ball still isn't great, he's getting closer.

Who's to say he couldn't improve a lot more with a season or two as a backup under his belt?

what it really comes down to is who would be in front of him

According to fanfanclubclub 2/3s of the NCAA QBs out there including BJ Daniels :rolling:

According to fanfanclubclub 2/3s of the NCAA QBs out there including BJ Daniels :rolling:
There are a few, but BJ Daniels will only be in front of Ryan Nassib on the McDonald's drive-thru line. Dropping off his application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom