Notre Dame and their Playoff Chances | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and their Playoff Chances

FiveThirtyEight (which I'm not saying is the end all/be all) has them at 50% chance if they win out.

View attachment 170346
Nate Silver isn’t a moron but that if factors in the other teams around it’s stupid.
Clemson could lose a game and at 12-1 have a better claim than Notre Dame.

If you assume Clemson, SEC champion and Big Ten champion are in then the PAC-12, Big XII and SEC runnerup have better arguments than Notre Dame.
ND fans know this.

Nate Silver isn’t a moron but that if factors in the other teams around it’s stupid.
Clemson could lose a game and at 12-1 have a better claim than Notre Dame.

If you assume Clemson, SEC champion and Big Ten champion are in then the PAC-12, Big XII and SEC runnerup have better arguments than Notre Dame.
ND fans know this.

But an 11-1 ND team would be in the conversation (which is all I'm saying) and their resume (which would include wins against potential Top 25 teams like Virginia, Michigan, and USC) would be evaluated against other conference champions. They're not "done" in late September after a close loss at Georgia.

Lol...three games, not two. It doesn't have to make sense to non-ND people, does it?

Less conference and TV money is not that big of an issue with ND. It now fully funds 26 sports and returns $20-25 million a year to the academic side as is.

What is it going to do with the extra money? Hire more consultants or put a fountain in the locker room?

In the latest Forbes evaluation, ND is 7th in total revenues and only four schools made a bigger profit than ND now, and that was with football lottery ticket donations not being counted for ND.

"The one outlier in the conference talk is, of course, the football independent Notre Dame, which ranks seventh with team revenues of $112 million. Although the Irish don't get conference money for football, the team still receives a reported $15 million per year from NBC for broadcast rights to its home games. What's more, Notre Dame's athletic department doesn't even report the vast majority of contributions tied to the football team's ticket lottery, since most of those are made directly to the university. "

ND thinks that independence is better for the brand and for scheduling and for the school marketing in general.

It thinks that being in a football conference and playing 8 or 9 conference games is too regional and restrictive.

Yeah, we’ve gone over this a bunch before.

You’re right that it doesn’t need to make sense to non-ND people.

Have a good season, sorry your playoff hopes ended so soon.

Let them all whine about it, get in somehow and then get boatraced again. I rather enjoy seeing that happen.

If I were ND, I’d be more perplexed about this than anything else. Getting into the playoff is great, but their showing there has been disappointing.

FiveThirtyEight (which I'm not saying is the end all/be all) has them at 50% chance if they win out.

There’s a small part of me that wants Notre Dame to make the playoffs, because the endless complaining about it will be awesome entertainment. I’d go out of my way to listen to the nerdy little idiot Paul Finebaum’s radio show if it happened.

When you look at the schedule, they have a reasonable shot - which is what 538 is showing. The two things they’ll (likely) need is an Oklahoma loss, and the SEC to beat each other up so only one team makes the playoff.

Yeah, we’ve gone over this a bunch before.

You’re right that it doesn’t need to make sense to non-ND people.

Have a good season, sorry your playoff hopes ended so soon.

Not a problem. This isn't a playoff team, like I said. I am hoping for 10-2 this season.

Go 12-0 next season or no complaints.

who is elite

tex doesnt look it.

OK

OSU/Wisc

GA/Ala/Aub/LSU

ND looked solid

Clemson
Auburn is running on luck. They will be exposed. TAMU was was in the game because Auburn isn't the world beater as advertised. Their QB is average but has weapons around him. From observation on Saturday at the game, he can't throw accurately beyond 15-20 yards.

TAMU would have won if Kellen Mond was half the QB as advertised.

Just my opinion.

^^^This. They can no longer make it on their own and now need help. Hopefully, the rosewood stake will be driven through their hearts this week and the discussion will end on all sides. ;)
I hope that's why you Hoo's looked sketchy against ODU, look ahead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom