Notre Dame Game Preview (4/3/21, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Preview (4/3/21, Noon)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Orange play their third ACC game of the year, and first of two matchups against Notre Dame this weekend. Both teams are coming off one goal losses to division rivals. The Orange play at home and have had two extra days to recover. If Syracuse really wants to distinguish itself as a top 5 team, and in the same conversation as Duke, UNC and Maryland, it has to win games like this.

Most of my comments about the Fighting Irish are centered around their recent matchup with Virginia, as the other four games were against less than stellar competition. The Irish are led on offense by Pat Kavanaugh, who leads the team in points and assists by a large margin, with 21 and 28 respectively. Against UVA however he didn't make much of an impact, with only two assists, on a man-up and later on a broken play. It sounds like a lot of teams early in the season used zone against the Golden Domers, which play right into Kavanaugh's hands. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will get this matchup, and he'll be looking for a bounce back game after a valiant effort against Michael Sowers last week. After Kavanaugh, there are not a lot of Notre Dame players that scare you offensively. To me, Eric Dobson is a matchup problem with his size (6'4, 220), but he seems to make a fair share of mistakes as he's only a freshmen (3 turnovers against UVA). But still, they went to him late in the game so they must trust him. Bucknell Transfer Will Yorke looks to be a very good shooter, but he doesn't start for ND and equaled his season total with five goals against UVA. He may supplant starter Mikey Drake with a performance like that. Yorke looks to be just a finisher, but can do so inside and out. The last worry I have is Wheaton Jackoboice, who has good speed from the midfield and will likely get the Brett Kennedy matchup (hoping Peter Dearth can handle Dobson). In short, ND has very competent and un-flashy players on offense, but they will struggle to beat their man in one on one situations. It is really important for Syracuse to not slide (they need to trust the SSDMs) and limit ND in transition and in broken plays. Do that and the defense should be in good shape.

The biggest worry I have for this game in the face-off x, especially after Syracuse's performance against Duke. Have to think this will be a big focus for the Orange this week. ND comes in with two good FOGOs in Kyle Gallagher and Charles Leonard. They were, however, limited last week against UVA and went just 12-25. It seemed like a good amount of the face-offs had the wings involved, so Syracuse will need a big improvement in this department. In goal, ND has Liam Entenmann, who came into the UVA game with an absurd 70% save percentage. However he was brought back down to earth a bit and posted just seven saves against the Cavs. He is tall and lanky, but hard to know how he'll play against the Orange, and in the Dome. He had a save percentage of 51% last year in a shortened season. The ND defense is good, they slide very aggressively and their SSDMs led by John Hollenbeck and Daniel Cassidy are big and play well in transition (Hallenbeck has seven points on the year). To me, this isn't a game where SU can expect to exploit certain weaknesses - but this is a defense that you can score on if you move the ball. UVA, who isn't known for their passing this season, had nine of their 12 goals assisted. And most were pretty simple passes. If SU goes into this game playing as a team, they can put up goals, but not if they expect their midfielders to dodge all day against the shorties and win one on one.

This is very much a game SU should win, but they've struggled against the Irish in the past. The only team to chase Drake Porter from a game was ND two years ago in South Bend. That ND team feels like a very different team (SU couldn't contain Bryan Costabilie that day who had five goals), and only two players who scored against the Orange for the Irish still play for them. SU did win, 10-6 the last time ND played in Syracuse, in 2018 (which seems like a very long time ago now). Bottom line (I guess I could have made this post a whole lot shorter) is the Orange on defense need to clear well and not let Notre Dame operate in chaotic situations, and on offense move the ball and find the open man. I think this is a big game for the attack, even though the ND close defense is very good. This should be a tough game but I think the Orange have an edge.

Great work as always Powellfan! I wish the fact that we beat up Petey Lasalla at the X, who held his own against ND, was more comforting, but I just have too many trust issues with the FOGOs now. Lasalla has shown some impressive ability (outside of our game I suppose) to keep on competing at the X despite looking out matched at times. He did it against UNC and he did it against ND on Saturday, both two headed monsters. I think if we just due everything we can to limit the violations, then Phaup will be able to perform in a similar way. He was losing the clamp by a mile to Naso who has been beatable at times this season (held to about 50% against Mercer and Richmond and 60% against Airforce). Given how lopsided he was against Phaup I am hoping the mental game was playing a role and that we see a similar bounce back like he had after the Army game.

Aside from the FOGO I am also concerned with the high quality of their SSDMs as you mentioned. Both Hallenbeck and Cassidy looked fantastic against UVA. Are they shutdown Dordevic/Trimboli level good? Probably not, but maybe good enough to limit some of our second line production. ND offense as a whole looked highly effective at limiting 1 v 1 situations, but our offense under March involves a lot more scoring due to motion. Hoping we get some goals in a simlar fashion to the Duke game with well timed effective cuts, backdoors, etc.

Excellent preview and comments as usual by two above.

Kavanaugh has excellent vision and passing ability but doesn't separate. Little need to slide to him, more important to stick to assignment even when looked off. Basic that one cant seem to grasp. Yorke performance could bump Drake up to mid which he can capably play. Yorke can rip when set . Mid Jacobice is their best athlete and dodger . Similar athletic talent is McCahon but he's been out. Let him return for Duke not us. Dobson size can be challenging to handle.

Phaup dominated LaScalla who split with Gallagher .No idea how that translates these days. Maybe refs wont be so quick to blow whistle when our fogos breathe. Ridiculous early handica last game. ND's fogos at 72% after split. Did notice that both ND and UVA wings positioned down the line thus far apart and both fogos were directing ball back to them on many wins . Some scrums near x when no fogo had initial advantage. Might suggest our wings play tight to ND's to increase our gb chances on those aforementioned kickbacks. Few clear wins but Gallagher did streak upfield on one .Expecting a Phaup bounce, should be able to get a good read early..

Opine that ND team D is better than Duke because they execute 2nd slide and dm's are good. Still attackable with dodges by some and ball movement by others. I could see Trimboli having a good game in seams. Wonder if Entenmann has any ties to those soft chocolate chip cookies and coffee cake that I consume during games . He's a good goalie whose not going to allow many low percentage shots.

Should be a close game requiring 4 quarters of focused play.

At first, I was like man Matt Kavanagh has a lot of eligibility! He has been at Notre Dame as long as Kevin Corrigan:)

This game is personal for me, similar to Army. I was disgusted by the game in 2016 when we were celebrating the 100 years of Syracuse Lacrosse. Notre Dame humiliated us in front of the alumni and legends of the past. To make matters worse that night at Awful Als I watched SU lose to UNC in the final four in Hoops. Some days can be tough to be Orange!

I could be wrong but feel like we have been very competitive with Notre Dame in the recent past and even when we were in the Big East together. They always seem to have great midfield depth and outside shooters. Is that the case this year?

At first, I was like man Matt Kavanagh has a lot of eligibility! He has been at Notre Dame as long as Kevin Corrigan:)

This game is personal for me, similar to Army. I was disgusted by the game in 2016 when we were celebrating the 100 years of Syracuse Lacrosse. Notre Dame humiliated us in front of the alumni and legends of the past. To make matters worse that night at Awful Als I watched SU lose to UNC in the final four in Hoops. Some days can be tough to be Orange!

I could be wrong but feel like we have been very competitive with Notre Dame in the recent past and even when we were in the Big East together. They always seem to have great midfield depth and outside shooters. Is that the case this year?

Record against ND since joining the ACC is 3-4 in their favor so pretty close and that's counting the 2014 ACC final loss. I don't recall the record against them in the brief BE without looking it up but I recall it mostly being in the favor of Cuse. Most of the games have been pretty close but they get bragging rights for that 2016 game which felt like it was over after the first 5 minutes.

Still no general attendance?

Lame
Makes absolutely zero sense. You really Have to feel for the kids not having their families in the stands, especially the seniors. Also feel for the families. Wagner, St. John’s, and Siena are having family this weekend I believe. No clue how a stadium of 50k can’t have the same. At this point, have to blame the Syracuse admin. Pathetic job

Probably also issues with the various levels of government in NY State

They should move the Albany game to Albany next week if they are allowing fans..think they are this week

Show some consistency if SU students in stands would protest the doings in Albany

Can't help myself, understand any banishment

That the public likely would have access to the building for men’s lacrosse games against North Carolina (April 17) and Utah (May 8), as well as the women’s lacrosse game against Virginia and two against Boston College (April 22 and April 24).

dome.PNG

It's interesting/annoying because this tweet by McMahon back at the beginning of the month made it seem like SU was given the go ahead to sell to the public then. Oh well, at least it's better than not at all.

View attachment 199112
It's interesting/annoying because this tweet by McMahon back at the beginning of the month made it seem like SU was given the go ahead to sell to the public then. Oh well, at least it's better than not at all.

I appreciate people wanting to be at live sporting events. I "went" to the Albany-UVM game a few weeks ago and it was nice to be outside watching sports.

At the same time, I completely understand Syracuse taking their time with this. If I'm a parent dropping $70k a year for my kid to attend (or incurring debt), I would be fired-up if my kid got stuck quarantining/virtual because someone from outside the community wanted to see lacrosse.

I think there are enough controls in place to prevent an outbreak from occurring, but still ... We've waited this long, we can wait a couple more weeks.

Ha ha - great reporting!! When you've played Bellarmine, Cleveland State and Marquette to say nothing of ROMO, I should hope you have more guys on the scoresheet. That's right up there with the powerful insight that ND has a great defense so far this year - gee, let's look at strength of schedule.

Ha ha - great reporting!! When you've played Bellarmine, Cleveland State and Marquette to say nothing of ROMO, I should hope you have more guys on the scoresheet. That's right up there with the powerful insight that ND has a great defense so far this year - gee, let's look at strength of schedule.
i'm not sure stony brook or vermont fare any better than marquette or romo with their schedules. and the latter 2 have played some very tough teams tough.
and holy cross fits in the cleveland state type category.
syracuse has played 3 tougher teams to nd's one, but they've also played an extra game.

nd has stretched more games including having one more out of "the elite" category, but good on them for getting guys in and those guys making a play.

i agree it doesn't mean a whole lot vis a vis the matchup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom