Notre Dame Game Preview (5/1/22, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Preview (5/1/22, Noon)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Syracuse ends its season this Sunday. Frustrating to think that after such a trying season, the Orange have to end it against the team that has caused it the most problems these last two years. That said, wouldn't it be great if the last thing this team does is knock the Irish out of playoff contention? It seems doubtful as the Irish hold a 62-25 scoring advantage over the Orange in their last three games (and it could be worse as ND called off the dogs in most of the games). But this is the last game for a talented group of seniors, their last home game and Senior Day. ND will likely be overlooking the Orange and ahead to their last game against a surging Duke team.

Curious to see who starts in goal - they keep giving it to Gavin but it has been many games since he wasn't pulled. I have to think they start Thompson just to see what happens. Not sure either goalie should be the starter next year, but I think Thompson has earned one last look, since they don't seem at all interested in playing any other goalie on the roster. In the last ND game the Irish inserted Jake Taylor for the first time into the starting lineup and he proceeded to score an ND record eight goals. I have to think the Orange will be better prepared, and better rested after the traveling snafu before the game in South Bend, but they'll still have to execute.

There isn't much else to say to be honest. I will miss this group of seniors, a couple of them could have gone to play anywhere else in the country but they chose to stay at Syracuse. This season would have been much much worse without them. I hope they get to leave their last game of their career as winners.

To wrap things up, Dordevic needs five more goals for 50, which would be the highest total since Dylan Donahue scored that same amount in 2015. To put things in perspective, the highest goal scoring total for a Syracuse player since 2015 has been 35 goals in 2019 (Bradley Voigt). He also needs just four points to match the highest point total a Syracuse player has had (61) since Dylan Donahue in 2016. With four points, Brendan Curry (49) could be the highest scoring midfielder since Sergio Salcido in 2016 as well. Nick Mariano and Salcido were first team All Americans in 2017 with 50 and 51 points respectively, and played three more games than Curry has. Dordevic and Curry really are having VERY good seasons.

Syracuse ends its season this Sunday. Frustrating to think that after such a trying season, the Orange have to end it against the team that has caused it the most problems these last two years. That said, wouldn't it be great if the last thing this team does is knock the Irish out of playoff contention? It seems doubtful as the Irish hold a 62-25 scoring advantage over the Orange in their last three games (and it could be worse as ND called off the dogs in most of the games). But this is the last game for a talented group of seniors, their last home game and Senior Day. ND will likely be overlooking the Orange and ahead to their last game against a surging Duke team.

Curious to see who starts in goal - they keep giving it to Gavin but it has been many games since he wasn't pulled. I have to think they start Thompson just to see what happens. Not sure either goalie should be the starter next year, but I think Thompson has earned one last look, since they don't seem at all interested in playing any other goalie on the roster. In the last ND game the Irish inserted Jake Taylor for the first time into the starting lineup and he proceeded to score an ND record eight goals. I have to think the Orange will be better prepared, and better rested after the traveling snafu before the game in South Bend, but they'll still have to execute.

There isn't much else to say to be honest. I will miss this group of seniors, a couple of them could have gone to play anywhere else in the country but they chose to stay at Syracuse. This season would have been much much worse without them. I hope they get to leave their last game of their career as winners.

To wrap things up, Dordevic needs five more goals for 50, which would be the highest total since Dylan Donahue scored that same amount in 2015. To put things in perspective, the highest goal scoring total for a Syracuse player since 2015 has been 35 goals in 2019 (Bradley Voigt). He also needs just four points to match the highest point total a Syracuse player has had (61) since Dylan Donahue in 2016. With four points, Brendan Curry (49) could be the highest scoring midfielder since Sergio Salcido in 2016 as well. Nick Mariano and Salcido were first team All Americans in 2017 with 50 and 51 points respectively, and played three more games than Curry has. Dordevic and Curry really are having VERY good seasons.
I have not commented in detail on games this season, because I believe the games spoke for themselves. The win-loss percentage normally would nauseate me. Disappointment would be a colossal understatement. Not this year though. I do not feel at all let down. In the past years, such as 2007, when I expected more and teams failed to make the playoffs, I threw my remote through my tv. Wretched summers followed. This year, despite the record, I am encouraged. This team played to its capabilities and beyond at times. Most of the time, excuse the cliche, they left it all on the field. That attitude impressed me. It showed players wanted to impress the coaches. Small potatoes maybe, but enough to raise my spirits. I will miss several of these guys; however, I see hopeful signs in some of the recruits and some of the current players who may not have played in past years. I suggest we give the coaches two more years, before we throw them overboard.

Just as an aside, I listened to Petro's instructions to his defense during one game this year. He is a master of "hibbety, bibbety", get out there and do it. Love the guy.

Has anyone listened to one of these? We pick apart Gait's press conferences, just curious if he was sharing anything additional in these shows. Curious to listen to this one with March joining.

Listened last week with Gait and Petro.

Nothing earth shattering.

I'm sure someone here could call March and grill him.

We haven't won since Cook got injured.

Think about that.

We haven't won since Cook got injured.

Think about that.
FEbiikMVEAMIYdU.png

I have not commented in detail on games this season, because I believe the games spoke for themselves. The win-loss percentage normally would nauseate me. Disappointment would be a colossal understatement. Not this year though. I do not feel at all let down. In the past years, such as 2007, when I expected more and teams failed to make the playoffs, I threw my remote through my tv. Wretched summers followed. This year, despite the record, I am encouraged. This team played to its capabilities and beyond at times. Most of the time, excuse the cliche, they left it all on the field. That attitude impressed me. It showed players wanted to impress the coaches. Small potatoes maybe, but enough to raise my spirits. I will miss several of these guys; however, I see hopeful signs in some of the recruits and some of the current players who may not have played in past years. I suggest we give the coaches two more years, before we throw them overboard.

Just as an aside, I listened to Petro's instructions to his defense during one game this year. He is a master of "hibbety, bibbety", get out there and do it. Love the guy.
Watching several ridiculous off sides and lethargic play against Albany makes me want to doubt this post….but I’m all in to believe in something.

When you threw your remote through the tv did you change planes? Low to high in the upper 90s?

I know this has been covered earlier this season but...how stupid are the media questions? I just cringe watching these pressers. And I find Gait's responses less than reassuring. I sure hope he communicates better with the team!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom