Notre Dame grows ACC revenue more than $1M per school annually | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame grows ACC revenue more than $1M per school annually

Okay Notre Dame has already done more for the ACC than they ever did for the Big East and the Big East gave their non-Football sports a home since 1996. I like this addition and now with Louisville coming aboard the ACC's brand is really improving. Now let's beat Penn State!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually
There is a lot of comments on other boards about how small an increase this is. Note that months previously we posted that this increase would be between $1,000,000 to $2,000,000...and it is falling as I understand very close to $1,500,000...so close.
But, But...most everyone on other boards have forgotten something VERY IMPORTANT...that TV dollar increase is based on ACC having either 3 or 2 considered home games a year...ESPN IS PAYING $1,000,000 per ACC team a year for TV rights to either 3 or 2 home games a year against Notre Dame. ESPN does not own the Notre Dame TV contract.
Why is this information of interest, Notre Dame has not signed with NBC yet...see previous thread...and typically the 5 year renewal is done by middle of 3rd year...it hasnt been signed...AND, note the NETWORK comment also in the article. Point is, Notre Dame is worth a whole lot of bucks...and if ESPN wants to take Notre Dame and offer ABC as home game outlet (Notre Dame wants over the air carriage of home games) than that substantial increase already on books may, just may be quite low as to what is coming in the future.
Also think of Notre Dame-ACC network even if Notre Dame plays only 5 games year against ACC...or a ACC network combined with another conference like SEC or Big 12...both owned by ESPN (Big 12 is Texas).
More later...but just think, a million dollar hit per team per year for no more than 3 home games...WOW.

If ND signs with ESPN expect the ND Shamrock series aka the neutral site game in an NFL stadium to become the 6th ACC game where Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Wake Forest, Duke all volunteer to be permanent rotating 6th games for ND, along with the other 5 ACC games.

It's also worth remembering that the $17.14... contract was with 9 conference games. The $1+ million bump contract is with 8 conference games.

My gut tells me this will come out to close to $18.5 mil (That's a $1.35... mil increase, and CBS is reporting that the increase will be over a mil, so it can't be that far off). I was hoping to land in the $19-$19.5 mil range, but $18.5 plus an extra game isn't bad. The games in the Meadowlands are worth $2.5/game (they usually have a $5 mil game payout, but they usually require an away game, so it averages to $2.5 mil counting the away game). That means that if you count the Meadowlands games as conference games, because they would be WAY more difficult with a 9 game confernce schedule, then we make $21 million/yr less half of gate revenue for an average game. I'm guessing that it comes out pretty close to $20 million/yr plus post season payouts (NCAA credits, Bowls, conference tourneys, and so on). It's also worth noting that the ACC's fixed costs are spread over more schools than any other conference's fixed costs.

Assume that the Big XII and the ACC both have admin costs of $20 million. In such a scenario, each Big XII team would ahve to surrender $2 million/school to pay the overhead, whereas each ACC school would have to surrender $1.33... million to cover overhead. That leads to a $0.67 million savings for each ACC school when compared to each Big XII school.

It's also worth noting that the Big XII schools retained more tier 3 rights, but the value of those extra rights is only $1-2 million per school for most schools (i.e. schools not named Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas). However, any eastern school playing in the Big XII would have substantially increased travel costs. There were complaints that SU and Pitt were going to add $2 million to each ACC school's travel costs (this was more than offset by the $4 million increase in the conference's TV payout as a result of adding SU and Pitt). However, based on that, you have to think that WVU is paying $1-2 million more in travel than SU, which offsets any difference in tier 3 revenue.

Given that the BIG EAST didn't split revenue equally, I think that the difference in payout between SU and WVU will actually shrink as a result of them going to the Big XII and us going to the ACC, and that doesn't count attendance. Yes, Texas and OU v. WVU will sell out, but Clemson and FSU v. SU will have a great attendance, and ND v. SU (every 3 years) will sell out, and Pitt and BC v SU will do well. In the end, both SU and WVU will get one elite at home game a year, but where WVU plays Baylor, KSU, Kansas, TCU, and a bunch of jack nobodies from a 1,000 miles away, we at least have Pitt and BC who are close to home, a home game against ND every 6 years, and a bunch of upper middle tier teams (down Miami, down Virginia Tech, a down Georgia Tech, and an up UL). Throw in better ACC basketball and ticket sales swing even more in SU's favor.

I honestly think that the ACC > Big XII for Syracuse and Pitt, and the ACC >> Big XII for every other school in the conference (except possibly UL), because most other schools are either farther away from the Big XII (BC) or within spitting distance of half the conference (Clemson, WF, Duke, UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VTech). Even FSU and Miami have each other, and GT has 60 years of history with the old ACC.

from a notre dame poster on other board here are 2014 acc -nd games:the roadies are Cuse(metlife) and FSU. NCSU, Pitt and VT in South Bend

from a notre dame poster on other board here are 2014 acc -nd games:the roadies are Cuse(metlife) and FSU. NCSU, Pitt and VT in South Bend
If Doctor Gross doesn't get the Metlife games changed to natural home and homes that is an EPIC failure of EPIC porportions and is a complete disrespect by Notre Dame to its "partner" of Syracuse. All ND home games for basketball must be played at MSG then.

If Doctor Gross doesn't get the Metlife games changed to natural home and homes that is an EPIC failure of EPIC porportions and is a complete disrespect by Notre Dame to its "partner" of Syracuse. All ND home games for basketball must be played at MSG then.
ND is simply honoring the contract we signed with them. Besides, Syracuse makes more for a MetLife game than a home game. I would only be upset if this were the case after the MetLife contract... People need to chill out and realize that every top team plays at least one big neutral game per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND is simply honoring the contract we signed with them. Besides, Syracuse makes more for a MetLife game than a home game. I would only be upset if this were the case after the MetLife contract... People need to chill out and realize that every top team plays at least one big neutral game per year.

That is incorrect, ND's contracts with Pitt and Boston College were nullified when ND gave the ACC its 5 game commitment. ND HAS ZERO control over the 5 games it plays with the ACC instead the ACC office controls the opponents. All ND controls is they give the ACC 5 dates on its schedule to schedule ACC games for. If the SU Metlife is counting then ND should be playing 6 games against ACC opponents because by your statement then ALL the ND-SU games that were signed are going to be played and I highly doubt the other 13 ACC schools will like SU playing ND 4 YEARS in a row. 2014 in Metlife, 2015 in South Bend, 2016 in Metlife, 2017 in South Bend. If ND is going to play SU in 2014 MOVE the game to the Dome or don't play it. I could care less about the money SU gets from Metlife we are going to get atleast 15 million a year now from the ACC. This isn't a big neutral game STOP spinning that SU is giving up a HOME game with homefield advantage for a neutral game in Metlife. Penn State is a neutral game because we aren't playing games OUR game in Metlife and the following game at Beaver Stadium. Call a spade a spade I don't live in CNY and have no connection to SU except it being my alma mater and this crap from ND has to STOP now. They want the ACC relationship they better play SU in the Dome or don't play SU. Do you think Duke or Wake Forest are going to play their home games at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte or will ND play at their high school stadiums?

That is incorrect, ND's contracts with Pitt and Boston College were nullified when ND gave the ACC its 5 game commitment. ND HAS ZERO control over the 5 games it plays with the ACC instead the ACC office controls the opponents. All ND controls is they give the ACC 5 dates on its schedule to schedule ACC games for. If the SU Metlife is counting then ND should be playing 6 games against ACC opponents because by your statement then ALL the ND-SU games that were signed are going to be played and I highly doubt the other 13 ACC schools will like SU playing ND 4 YEARS in a row. 2014 in Metlife, 2015 in South Bend, 2016 in Metlife, 2017 in South Bend. If ND is going to play SU in 2014 MOVE the game to the Dome or don't play it. I could care less about the money SU gets from Metlife we are going to get atleast 15 million a year now from the ACC. This isn't a big neutral game STOP spinning that SU is giving up a HOME game with homefield advantage for a neutral game in Metlife. Penn State is a neutral game because we aren't playing games OUR game in Metlife and the following game at Beaver Stadium. Call a spade a spade I don't live in CNY and have no connection to SU except it being my alma mater and this crap from ND has to STOP now. They want the ACC relationship they better play SU in the Dome or don't play SU. Do you think Duke or Wake Forest are going to play their home games at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte or will ND play at their high school stadiums?
I agree. If SU plays ND in a home game, it should really be a home game. At the Dome. If they are gullible enough to play the game at MetLife, it will be a road game; ND fans will outnumber SU fans by at least 10:1.

The MetLife games made sense when the SU football program was desperate for cash. That is not longer the case with SU in the ACC.

The ND deal with the ACC is special in that it gives ACC schools an opportunity to get ND to play a game at their stadium. We shouldn't be the only school in the conference that is stupid enough to not take advantage of this.

I hope our AD is not a lackey for ND and gets the same treatment for Syracuse the other schools in the ACC will get.

Just a clarification on Met Life games. Met Life is a 3rd party to the contract. They have rights in the the SU/ND deal, too. They could care less what happens to the ND home games but they do fully care about the two at their stadium. Syracuse is locked in as well as ND. I expect that they will merely re-negotiate a deal so the two games happen, but one may be rescheduled to the future, to accompany the ACC deal. There are options to fix the issue, but it will have to work within the original agreement between MetLIfe, SU and ND. Based on the three parties, it will be amicable and probably everyone will be happy.

From MetLife's perspective, the games only work if there is at least one elite team. Syracuse has name recognition, but we are not strong enough to ensure success in the NYC market playing just anyone.

I have no issue honoring the contract, but going forward, ND should play SU in the Dome every 6th year, or as others have suggested, ND should not count the SU game at MetLife towards their 5 game ACC deal.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...me-acc-2014-20130412,0,3432154.post?track=rss

Last September, Notre Dame reached an agreement with the ACC that will ensure its longtime tradition as a football independent, while also allowing for a new relationship with the conference in its other sports. The Fighting Irish are leaving the Big East this summer in all other sports, moving them to the ACC. As part of that agreement, they will play the ACC's 15 schools -- the conference will expand to 15 full members by 2014 -- on a rotating basis.

Notre Dame's rotation begins in 2014, when it will face FSU, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and two other schools. After rotating in five new ACC schools in 2015 and 2016, those same four are expected to rotate back onto Notre Dame's schedule in 2017.

so 2 Notre Dame-Syracuse games will be moved later 1 at metlife and 1 at nd

If that SU game is played at Metlife I may give up my season tickets that I have had since 2006. I have season tickets and go to 1 game year and donate the rest back to SU to give out, but if they aren't going to have the ACC leverage Notre Dame to play that game on SU's campus I will be done. I had no problem with the SU-ND series when we had no leverage and were stuck in the Big East, but we aren't in the kiddie pool anymore and Notre Dame needs to treat us like a partner and play the game on campus. Dr. Gross would be stupid to not want this game played at the Carrier Dome and should have John Swofford inform Notre Dame the game will be played at the Dome or then Notre Dame can play another ACC team that year.

I don't see it being shifted to carrier dome(as we have a contract with metlife that needs to be filled) but could see games in the future being home and home unless notre dame adds a 6th game which is all neutral site nfl stadium games. A compromise that could work is to make sure of at least 6 home games in years when we have metlife games. Since it looks like we will have an opening for metlife game in 2016 on 9/3 maybe we can get a Michigan, Ohio state, or West Virginia to fill that slot or with the potential scheduling alliance with big 12 get a marquis game

Any team we play at met life is always going to be a good team that can sell seats... USC, Penn state, ND... I think it's crucial to play at least one game there yearly for our fans like me in the tri state area. Even Alabama played Michigan on a neutral stadium last year. This game provides us with exposure and money (no such thing as enough money). Heck, notre dame played games in Ireland and Chicago last year. I think the frustration with people is they if we played these games at the dome, we would have a huge shot at an upset with the crowd etc. You can't be new York's college team if you don't play one game in NYC... Think of this as a kickoff classic.

If that SU game is played at Metlife I may give up my season tickets that I have had since 2006. I have season tickets and go to 1 game year and donate the rest back to SU to give out, but if they aren't going to have the ACC leverage Notre Dame to play that game on SU's campus I will be done. I had no problem with the SU-ND series when we had no leverage and were stuck in the Big East, but we aren't in the kiddie pool anymore and Notre Dame needs to treat us like a partner and play the game on campus. Dr. Gross would be stupid to not want this game played at the Carrier Dome and should have John Swofford inform Notre Dame the game will be played at the Dome or then Notre Dame can play another ACC team that year.

I understand your frustration and I agree with you in principal. We have a contract with Metife, a very beneficial contract. We have a deal with ND (via the ACC). The powers that be are simply making the two contracts work together. After we play our two committed ND games in Metlife, as a fan, I want ND in the Dome.

Please tell me what leverage we have now? We are still the same non-big name program we were before we joined the ACC. The ACC can't force Metlife, ND or SU to do anything or void the contract.

The 3 (2 really) options are:

1-Play it in the Dome and make all of the gate which might be $500K to $1 mil profit.
2-Play it at ND - This is already part of the contract and will happen, I am not sure of the date and it really doesn't matter.
3-Play it in Metlife for a reported but not confirmed by the University $5 million dollar payout. National TV audience, OTA broadcast and exposure for the SU brand. And all that comes with the exposure, recruiting, making downstate deep pocket alums happy, etc.

Ask yourself...Which of the above is the best thing for the program?

Stop thinking of yourself and think about what benefits the university. Unless you pay $5 million for your season tickets of course.

Please tell me what leverage we have now? We are still the same non-big name program we were before we joined the ACC. The ACC can't force Metlife, ND or SU to do anything or void the contract.

The 3 (2 really) options are:

1-Play it in the Dome and make all of the gate which might be $500K to $1 mil profit.
2-Play it at ND - This is already part of the contract and will happen, I am not sure of the date and it really doesn't matter.
3-Play it in Metlife for a reported but not confirmed by the University $5 million dollar payout. National TV audience, OTA broadcast and exposure for the SU brand. And all that comes with the exposure, recruiting, making downstate deep pocket alums happy, etc.

Ask yourself...Which of the above is the best thing for the program?

Stop thinking of yourself and think about what benefits the university. Unless you pay $5 million for your season tickets of course.
LOL what is best for me? Are you serious? Exposure for the SU brand please stop, when you act small time you get treated small time. When Syracuse signed that contract with Notre Dame we never envisioned we would be in the ACC as soon as we did, and if we did know we were in the ACC Dr. Gross wouldn't have agreed to such a 1 sided agreement. There will be as many Notre Dame fans at those games at Metlife as their will be Syracuse fans that is a given. When we played USC I was okay with it because we were still in the Big East state of mind and didn't know we had 15 million dollars a year coming in from ACC TV money, but the Metlife deal maybe lucrative, but we can afford not to play it if we choose to do so. I wouldn't care if we continued playing 1 game a year in the Metlife for our down state alumni, fans, but why does it have to be the crown jewel game on the schedule. Again, NEWSFLASH I don't live in CNY or have any connection with that community aside my graduation from Syracuse, but this deal is S-T-U-P-I-D. Your argument is basically sit back and take it. I don't sit back and take it when I don't have too. I can understand and respect HtownOrange's statements as he understands, but if Dr. Gross is going to make us play these game at Metlife instead of having Swofford leverage Notre Dame to play at the Dome what the hell does the Notre Dame partial membership do for Syracuse University? We get to play neutral site games with the Fighting Irish every 6 years Wooooooooohoooooooooo aren't we lucky.
My god when you act small time you get treated as small time. What is to stop Dr. Gross from moving the 2016 Florida State game to Metlife because we are suppose to play Notre Dame there in 2016 and we have a contract to play in Metlife so we got to fulfill it under your statements. We should flat out cancel the Metlife contact and repay any money damages we will cause them or have the games not be the crown jewel game on the schedule each year. However, yeah your right what is best for the program is too play Notre Dame in a neutral site game in Metlife where Syracuse will be lucky to have half the crowd on its side, and then play a road game in 2015. Yeah that is what is best for our program, instead of having a packed Dome and being able to host recruits your right that extra 5 million dollars which won't all come from 1 game against Notre Dame is OBVIOUSLY what is best for our program. You are right and I am selfish yeah that 1 game a year I go to really makes me selfish.

LOL what is best for me? Are you serious? Exposure for the SU brand please stop, when you act small time you get treated small time. When Syracuse signed that contract with Notre Dame we never envisioned we would be in the ACC as soon as we did, and if we did know we were in the ACC Dr. Gross wouldn't have agreed to such a 1 sided agreement. There will be as many Notre Dame fans at those the games at Metlife as their will be Syracuse fans that is a given. When we played USC I was okay with it because we were still in the Big East state of mind and didn't know we had 15 million dollars a year coming in from ACC TV money, but the Metlife deal maybe lucrative, but we can afford not to play it if we choose to do so. I wouldn't care if we continued playing 1 game a year in the Metlife for our down state alumni, fans, but why does it have to be the crown jewel game on the schedule. Again, NEWSFLASH I don't live in CNY or have any connection with that community aside my graduation from Syracuse, but this deal is S-T-U-P-I-D. Your argument is basically sit back and take it. I don't sit back and take it when I don't have too. I can understand and respect HtownOrange's statements as he understands, but if Dr. Gross is going to make us play these game at Metlife instead of having Swofford leverage Notre Dame to play at the Dome what the hell does the Notre Dame partial membership do for Syracuse University? We get to play neutral site games with the Fighting Irish every 6 years Wooooooooohoooooooooo aren't we lucky.
My god when you act small time you get treated as small time. What is to stop Dr. Gross from moving the 2016 Florida State game to Metlife because we are suppose to play Notre Dame there in 2016 and we have a contract to play in Metlife so we got to fulfill it under your statements. We should flat out cancel the Metlife contact and repay any money damages we will cause them or have the games not be the crown jewel game on the schedule each year. However, yeah your right what is best for the program is too play Notre Dame in a neutral site game in Metlife where Syracuse will be lucky to have half the crowd on its side, and then play a road game in 2015. Yeah that is what is best for our program, instead of having a packed Dome and being able to host recruits your right that extra 5 million dollars which won't all come from 1 game against Notre Dame is OBVIOUSLY what is best for our program. You are right and I am selfish yeah that 1 game a year I go to really makes me selfish.

Exposure for the SU brand please stop, when you act small time you get treated small time. When Syracuse signed that contract with Notre Dame we never envisioned we would be in the ACC as soon as we did, and if we did know we were in the ACC Dr.
Even if we were in the ACC already, Gross would have made this deal. It has nothing to do with being "small time". Whether you like it or not, there is way more EXPOSURE playing in NY in Metlife Stadium aginst ND than there is in the Dome. The venue makes it an event not just a game. OH, and don't forget about the $$$. Facts are Facts, SU is not ND and we don't carry the same cache regardless of how you "act". I can "act" like a millionaire with clout, that doesn't make me one.

First "Gross wouldn't have agreed to such a 1 sided agreement."
He Most certainly would have for an additional $4 million over a home game and to be in NY.

When we played USC I was okay with it because...
I wouldn't care if we continued playing...
I don't sit back and take it when I don't have to...
Not About you??

I wouldn't care if we continued playing 1 game a year in the Metlife for our down state alumni, fans, but why does it have to be the crown jewel game on the schedule.
ND would never have agreed to the game if we pushed to play in the Dome, That is a fact, we had/have no leverage to make them. They just would have said, no thanks and played a bigger name team.
Consider the fact that this "crown jewel" game would not exist without the venue.

When we played USC I was okay with it because we were still in the Big East state of mind and didn't know we had 15 million dollars a year coming in from ACC TV money, but the Metlife deal maybe lucrative, but we can afford not to play it if we choose to do so.
We can afford not to take the additional $4 million?? Really!?!? Remember that SU is a private school and doesn't have deep state school pockets. SU can't afford to turn down any amount of $$.
Can you tell me where the additional $15 mil from the ACC is going that we will have now? Certainly not into the IPF or we would have broken ground already and wouldn't need an "Are You In" campaign knowing that the $ is coming. SU still needs donations on top of the TV money to compete.

My god when you act small time you get treated as small time. What is to stop Dr. Gross from moving the 2016 Florida State game to Metlife because we are suppose to play Notre Dame there in 2016 and we have a contract to play in Metlife so we got to fulfill it under your statements. Short answer- Nothing can stop him/SU from moving the game.

We should flat out cancel the Metlife contact and repay any money damages we will cause them or have the games not be the crown jewel game on the schedule each year. However, yeah your right what is best for the program is too play Notre Dame in a neutral site game in Metlife where Syracuse will be lucky to have half the crowd on its side, and then play a road game in 2015. Yeah that is what is best for our program, instead of having a packed Dome and being able to host recruits your right that extra 5 million dollars which won't all come from 1 game against Notre Dame is OBVIOUSLY what is best for our program. You are right and I am selfish yeah that 1 game a year I go to really makes me selfish. This Whole statement is just ridiculous and I know you are trying to be sarcastic. Truth is you sound selfish and the money will benefit the program more than the gigantic crowd in the Dome on game day for a game that will never happen in the Dome. You seem to gloss over the fact that these "crown jewel" games don't exist w/o Metlife, national TV and the money they bring to both participating teams. So, in other words, you would rather play another Stony Brook in the Dome instead of ND in Metlife. BTW, gigantic crowds don't come to see Stony Brook, trust me I was there.

Exposure for the SU brand please stop, when you act small time you get treated small time. When Syracuse signed that contract with Notre Dame we never envisioned we would be in the ACC as soon as we did, and if we did know we were in the ACC Dr.
Even if we were in the ACC already, Gross would have made this deal. It has nothing to do with being "small time". Whether you like it or not, there is way more EXPOSURE playing in NY in Metlife Stadium aginst ND than there is in the Dome. The venue makes it an event not just a game. OH, and don't forget about the $$$. Facts are Facts, SU is not ND and we don't carry the same cache regardless of how you "act". I can "act" like a millionaire with clout, that doesn't make me one.

First "Gross wouldn't have agreed to such a 1 sided agreement."
He Most certainly would have for an additional $4 million over a home game and to be in NY.

When we played USC I was okay with it because...
I wouldn't care if we continued playing...
I don't sit back and take it when I don't have to...
Not About you??

I wouldn't care if we continued playing 1 game a year in the Metlife for our down state alumni, fans, but why does it have to be the crown jewel game on the schedule.
ND would never have agreed to the game if we pushed to play in the Dome, That is a fact, we had/have no leverage to make them. They just would have said, no thanks and played a bigger name team.
Consider the fact that this "crown jewel" game would not exist without the venue.

When we played USC I was okay with it because we were still in the Big East state of mind and didn't know we had 15 million dollars a year coming in from ACC TV money, but the Metlife deal maybe lucrative, but we can afford not to play it if we choose to do so.
We can afford not to take the additional $4 million?? Really!?!? Remember that SU is a private school and doesn't have deep state school pockets. SU can't afford to turn down any amount of $$.
Can you tell me where the additional $15 mil from the ACC is going that we will have now? Certainly not into the IPF or we would have broken ground already and wouldn't need an "Are You In" campaign knowing that the $ is coming. SU still needs donations on top of the TV money to compete.

My god when you act small time you get treated as small time. What is to stop Dr. Gross from moving the 2016 Florida State game to Metlife because we are suppose to play Notre Dame there in 2016 and we have a contract to play in Metlife so we got to fulfill it under your statements. Short answer- Nothing can stop him/SU from moving the game.

We should flat out cancel the Metlife contact and repay any money damages we will cause them or have the games not be the crown jewel game on the schedule each year. However, yeah your right what is best for the program is too play Notre Dame in a neutral site game in Metlife where Syracuse will be lucky to have half the crowd on its side, and then play a road game in 2015. Yeah that is what is best for our program, instead of having a packed Dome and being able to host recruits your right that extra 5 million dollars which won't all come from 1 game against Notre Dame is OBVIOUSLY what is best for our program. You are right and I am selfish yeah that 1 game a year I go to really makes me selfish. This Whole statement is just ridiculous and I know you are trying to be sarcastic. Truth is you sound selfish and the money will benefit the program more than the gigantic crowd in the Dome on game day for a game that will never happen in the Dome. You seem to gloss over the fact that these "crown jewel" games don't exist w/o Metlife, national TV and the money they bring to both participating teams. So, in other words, you would rather play another Stony Brook in the Dome instead of ND in Metlife. BTW, gigantic crowds don't come to see Stony Brook, trust me I was there.
We signed to play USC home and home when the original contract was signed. USC was willing to come to the Dome we moved the game to Metlife for the money, Penn State to start the 2013 season is a true NEUTRAL game because besides this game we are playing 1 game in the Dome in 2020 and 1 game at Beaver Stadium in 2021. The ONLY games that were scheduled for Metlife were Notre Dame in 2014 and 2016. While we don't know for a factor the entire reason why Dr. Gross scheduled those games were because we were stuck in the Big East and didn't have a lot of guaranteed TV revenue coming in. Dr. Gross would have to be a COMPLETE idiot to think that maybe more than 20% of the Syracuse football fanbase would prefer to play Notre Dame 4 games with 2 of them being in South Bend ZERO of them being at the Carrier Dome and 2 of them being played at Metlife which will be at best a neutral site game. That type of argeement is MACish or small time. UConn didn't do it, Rutgers didn't do it, but Syracuse did because we had ZERO leverage. Notre Dame has played Wake Forest home and home these 2 past years and Wake has a smaller stadium than Syracuse so don't use that agrument. The Metlife series is a joke now that we are in the ACC. If we want to play an ACC game there versus NC State, Boston College, Louisville every year that is one thing but how are you going to sell season tickets when the best game is MOVED 300 miles away. I am done typing this as you are making me upset by trying to defend these actions.

This thread has quickly degenerated, but how do you think ND once became NYC's college football team? It was because they were willing to go on the road and face what were then good Army teams from 1923-33 in NYC with no games in South Bend and only one game in Chicago during that stretch of time.

If we truly want to be NYC's college football team then we should embrace the MetLife games vs PSU and ND and more importantly winning those games.

Cheers,
Neil

We just finished playing ND in an Home and Home series. ND was looking for games in NYC, they went to Rutgers and UConn, both of whom were too arrogant to see the gift being given to them. Gross said, "HMMM, $5MM, Play ND, National Exposure, Play in NYC, Play in Rutgers' back yard; we're in."

We are not in the elite, and we are in NO WAY a small time program. Schools know that they play Syracuse because they cannot look to be afraid to play and lose. Also, a loss to Syracuse is not considered a bad loss because we have a winning tradition. A loss to Rutgers, Temple or UConn is like losing to FCS or Sun Belt teams.

I truly respect both of you guys omni and Htown, but Notre Dame is not acting as partner if they are going to play everybody in the ACC at their home field and play Syracuse in Metlife. I wonder where Dr. Gross would prefer to play to play its home game versus Notre Dame. When we played Notre Dame in football the last time we played them in a 2 for 1. To get Notre Dame to the Dome in 2003 we had to play Notre Dame in South Bend in 2005, and 2008( which was Greg Robinson's best win as Syracuse coach.) That 2003 game at the Dome I believe is the last official "sellout" we have had at the Dome, it was my freshman year right before we went on the NCAA tournament run in March, and I remember sitting in the student section watching Walter Reyes score 5 TDs and help Nick Saban's LSU team get ahead of USC in the final BCS standing because of the strength schedule component and Nick Saban giving a 5-6 Syracuse team a 25th place vote in the coaches poll for the help Syracuse gave LSU. I support the decision to play games in Metlife and believe Dr. Gross has done an awesome job getting this program rolling and the athletic department as a whole rolling, but the 4 game series with Notre Dame only made sense because we needed the money. Now that Notre Dame is going to play 5 ACC teams every year as part of their scheduling agreements and the fact these games are going to played on college campuses it makes no sense to be an ACC school willing to move a home game to Metlife and make it a neutral site game and then the following year play @South Bend. If they want to play at Metlife then JB should tell Mike Brey we won't come to South Bend because Purcell Pavillion is too small, and Syracuse will play Notre Dame basketball at MSG.

We have to play the 2 ND games already contracted @ metlife otherwise they'll find someone else to play them. If we screw with this contract they won't likely look to SU with offers like in the future. Don't want to burn bridges there by any means. After these 2 games are played out ND should be coming to the dome forever more on return trips and we should look to schedule someone else in NYC yearly or every other.

I truly respect both of you guys omni and Htown, but Notre Dame is not acting as partner if they are going to play everybody in the ACC at their home field and play Syracuse in Metlife. I wonder where Dr. Gross would prefer to play to play its home game versus Notre Dame. When we played Notre Dame in football the last time we played them in a 2 for 1. To get Notre Dame to the Dome in 2003 we had to play Notre Dame in South Bend in 2005, and 2008( which was Greg Robinson's best win as Syracuse coach.) That 2003 game at the Dome I believe is the last official "sellout" we have had at the Dome, it was my freshman year right before we went on the NCAA tournament run in March, and I remember sitting in the student section watching Walter Reyes score 5 TDs and help Nick Saban's LSU team get ahead of USC in the final BCS standing because of the strength schedule component and Nick Saban giving a 5-6 Syracuse team a 25th place vote in the coaches poll for the help Syracuse gave LSU. I support the decision to play games in Metlife and believe Dr. Gross has done an awesome job getting this program rolling and the athletic department as a whole rolling, but the 4 game series with Notre Dame only made sense because we needed the money. Now that Notre Dame is going to play 5 ACC teams every year as part of their scheduling agreements and the fact these games are going to played on college campuses it makes no sense to be an ACC school willing to move a home game to Metlife and make it a neutral site game and then the following year play @South Bend. If they want to play at Metlife then JB should tell Mike Brey we won't come to South Bend because Purcell Pavillion is too small, and Syracuse will play Notre Dame basketball at MSG.

Imho, you are making several assumptions throughout.

The first assumption is that the series with ND will continue with MetLife. (It may or may not in the future beyond the 4 contracted games, the latter two of which might need to be moved).

The second assumption is that if the series continues beyond those 4 games, that this is somehow ND not acting as a good faith partner. (It might be the ACC itself that is interested in NYC exposure and wants SU to be a good faith partner in helping to provide said exposure for the conference.)

The third assumption is that if TGD has his choice he would only want these games home-and-home. (Maybe TGD wants SU football exposure in NYC as a way of not only making more money now between the game and increase donor dollars, but in the future as well should we win a good number of these games and get to the point where we actually become NYC's favorite college football team?)

I'm not invested strongly either way, I simply see the points from both sides. But I do believe the seeds of TGD's original plan has the potential to create a stronger SU football program and a more secure place in college athletics than simply doing what we've always done. And the plus side is that now that we are in the ACC, negative results of the experiment should do no real damage at all.

Cheers,
Neil

We just finished playing ND in an Home and Home series. ND was looking for games in NYC, they went to Rutgers and UConn, both of whom were too arrogant to see the gift being given to them. Gross said, "HMMM, $5MM, Play ND, National Exposure, Play in NYC, Play in Rutgers' back yard; we're in."

We are not in the elite, and we are in NO WAY a small time program. Schools know that they play Syracuse because they cannot look to be afraid to play and lose. Also, a loss to Syracuse is not considered a bad loss because we have a winning tradition. A loss to Rutgers, Temple or UConn is like losing to FCS or Sun Belt teams.

I agree that SU is in no way a small time program but the fact is that SU does not carry the same weight as ND. There are only a handful that do.

And I agree with what you and Omni are saying. I just hate it when people talk about the Metlife arrangement that way when I think it is a tremendous opportunity for the program. I for one will look at going to that game as a mini vacation to NYC while others complain.